Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8689 (Shirt with princess seams)

Reviewed by:Sigrid.

About Sigrid.starstarstarstar
Netherlands
Member since: 11/14/06
Posted on:11/3/10 10:29 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 38 people
weavingpeg said... (10/14/12 5:42 PM) Reply
I just bought this pattern and if you, with all your experience can't make it work.....Well, I'm going to try. I'm a B cup, so that might be helpful, but I am full in the front now that I have aged (sigh), so have to make some complex alterations there. But I will put the final altered front against a similar pattern I use with no trouble and see where I go from there. I think the problem may be that princess seams don't work well on certain kinds of figures.
ASiverson said... (6/27/11 3:02 PM) Reply
I just recently purchased this pattern because of the ABCD cup sizing. I too am a D cup and your pictures show that it is very wide at the side. I wonder if making it a C cup will work. we will see. TFS!
MNBarb said... (4/7/11 6:14 PM) Reply
I just finished a Burda wadder and this pattern was next on my list. I have a lovely piece of linen all ready for cutting. I'm now afraid to open the envelope. I really appreciate your detailed review pointing out the problems. I guess I will do some flat measuring and decide whether or not to take the plunge. I just don't understand poor pattern drafting. Vogue has been in business forever and should not be making these mistakes. Thanks, again.
Doris W. in TN said... (11/20/10 12:16 PM) Reply
Thank you for this well-written review, Sigrid. I was thinking about buying this pattern, but now I think I will wait, and stick with my TNT.
Wino said... (11/20/10 8:09 AM) Reply
Just purchased this thinking SBA issue would be solved out of the envelope. Thanks for your review. I'll approach this pattern with caution.
LaurieEm said... (11/19/10 4:19 PM) Reply
Thank you Sigrid! You are my HERO. I have been planning for weeks to buy this TODAY while it is on sale. I've lost weight and was thinking that since the FBA is already done, I might use this pattern as a new starting point for TNT shirts. I wouldn't need that frustration. Thanks a million.
grey ann said... (11/4/10 5:51 PM) Reply
I, too, purchased this bec. of the yokes and princess seams that offer lots of fitting opportunities. I will examine it carefully and try a muslin first. Thanks for this helpful info.
lamstu said... (11/4/10 9:48 AM) Reply
Too bad that you spent time on such an unrewarding project. Well, we all have them and you can look forward to the next one being better at least! It's definitely useful to have these reviews to save time and frustration!
Karine said... (11/4/10 9:14 AM) Reply
Sorry this didn't work for you, but thanks for the review. It looks like a great blouse pattern, and I'm sure you've save me many hours of frustration.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (11/4/10 1:57 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review Sigrid. This is on my list of tops to make so I took a closer look at the pictures. The princess seam appears to be designed to be to the side and not over the bust. I've encountered the glitch with the armhole on several Burda jackets. The front looks like it's just too big. That D cup looks like it would fit my F's. It's a shame the pattern didn't work out for you, because it has such nice lines.
Annette1 said... (11/4/10 0:56 AM) Reply
Well, GOOD GRIEF! And this is a pattern I recently bought in contemplation of making one for myself, my aunt AND my mom. :o( I guess my only hope might be that since I'M wide maybe the WIDE pattern would work -- ha! And your cuffs look so nice, too, and now you can't use them. :o( I hate that this turned into a wadder for you, but I do appreciate the review. It's never as fun writing THOSE reviews -- ha! (I ought to know.) Thanks!
renren said... (11/4/10 0:39 AM) Reply
Thanks for letting us know. I see no one else has reviewed it yet, so you were the trailblazer on this one. I'll avoid this pattern.
DaisyEsq said... (11/3/10 7:37 PM) Reply
Thank you for you helpful review.
FreyaStark said... (11/3/10 4:02 PM) Reply
Thanks for a useful review. I will avoid this pattern.
Clareew said... (11/3/10 3:47 PM) Reply
How sad for you, better luck next time.
cindyann said... (11/3/10 3:16 PM) Reply
Thank you for a most informative review.
SusiM said... (11/3/10 2:14 PM) Reply
I really appreciate the information and the photos you provided. Thank you. I trust your judgement, seeing that you have made so many fine garments.
pterion said... (11/3/10 11:47 AM) Reply
Oh, I just got this one, how disappointing! Thanks so much for the review. I might still give it a try though - I'm a scant B-cup so maybe the error won't be an issue on my pattern lines. Sorry it didn't work out for you, but thanks again!
persevering said... (11/3/10 11:22 AM) Reply
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Much appreciated!
michellep74 said... (11/3/10 11:07 AM) Reply
What a bummer. I've been eyeing this blouse pattern for the yoke/princess seams. I think I"ll stay away from it for now and stick with my TNT blouse pattern for fall.
Padmé said... (11/3/10 10:56 AM) Reply
I just recently bought this and the jacket Ann Rowley is making at Stitchers Guild. There seems to be a lot of mistakes in Vogue patterns even for 3.99 sale price. I'm sorry the pattern did not work out.

Favorite Things An Everyday Bag Pattern