Online Sewing Class: Understanding Wool Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Christine Jonson> 226 (Travel Trio Three)

Reviewed by:SueV

photophoto

Boho Banjo art to wear

pdf sewing patterns

Rhoda K said... (11/15/10 10:34 AM) Reply
I do my elastic waists the same way but I was referring to what looked like a very narrow piece of elastic - lingerie elastic? Should have been more specific ;-)
JETrinity said... (11/13/10 8:42 PM) Reply
Thanks for showing this pattern line. I have never looked at them but I will now.
JETrinity said... (11/13/10 8:42 PM) Reply
Nice job with the tricot. I agree with the bulk concern at the waist. Great job of sewing.
squirrellypoo said... (11/13/10 12:27 PM) Reply
thanks! I've got this pattern but haven't sewn it yet. Your skirt looks great!
SueV said... (11/13/10 10:58 AM) Reply
How I applied the elastic: I measured my waist and subtracted about 3" (because the elastic will stretch when sewn and this is kinda heavy with the weight of both fabrics so I wanted it tighter). I sewed my elastic ends together (making a circle) and marked, with a pin, the elastic into equal fourths. I marked the waist also into fourths and lined up the markings. I put WS of elastic onto RS of waist and sewed with a zig zag (about med width and med/long length - if not sure, go wider and longer). Then, I flipped the elastic into the inside of the skirt waist and sewed the waist again using a longer and wider zig zag. I've seen this on several RTW. CJ's instructions are a bit different, but also very nice. The ones included with the pattern hide the elastic completely, but I didn't want 4 layers of bulk (because of the lining).
renren said... (11/13/10 9:50 AM) Reply
This CJ pattern has a lot of options including this marvelous little skirt you have sewn, the two tops, and the ruana (a word I had not heard before). And what delicate teensy weensy elastic you have used. Hmm. I always use 1" or 1.25" elastic for my waistlines. How can you use such delicate little elastic and it still holds things in place? Beautiful! I think you have sold me on these new CJ patterns. (That ruana would keep me warm on my dog walks.) Hmm.
Jo-Anne said... (11/13/10 9:15 AM) Reply
Looks great! I like your slip lining method. How did you attach the elastic? Is it described in the directions? I tried this skirt on at CJ's Open House last year and loved it! I think it's about time I break down and make it. Thanks for the inspiration.
MaryDB said... (11/12/10 10:54 PM) Reply
Wow, really turned out great. Nice work, love the fabric.
lamstu said... (11/12/10 8:17 PM) Reply
I've been looking at this pattern even though I'm not a big fan of knit skirts. Yours looks really nice and thanks so much for explaining your lining method.
Rhoda K said... (11/12/10 3:12 PM) Reply
I really like your skirt. I've never seen an elastic waist done like yours though - very neat and no bulk. Guess I need to get that pattern, too (sigh) ;-)

Understanding Knit Fabrics