Pattern Reviews> Sew Baby> 23 (petal dress)

Reviewed by:sewgeeky

About sewgeeky
Member since: 6/20/04
Posted on:6/20/04 10:03 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
See other patterns in this category: Accessories    Baby clothes    Toddlers
Rivkah said... (5/9/10 7:50 AM) Reply
I forgot to mention, I made the 12 month size and the pattern for the dress is right on but my grand-daughter's head isn't. I made the hat that is included with the dress and it came out too small.
Rivkah said... (5/9/10 7:47 AM) Reply
I have also made this dress, in 2 coordinating cotton prints, and it it came out really well. I agree with Sewgeeky about how the bodice is sewn onto the skirt. If done her way, the dress could possibly become totally reversible!! On mine I used my inside facing fabric to make a coordinating baby panty.
sewgeeky said... (6/24/04 8:05 PM) Reply
Ack, could I be any lamer? Double post!
sewgeeky said... (6/24/04 8:02 PM) Reply
Aw, thanks everyone! I need to get a picture of the baby in the dress - she had it on last night and it was So Cute! It's especially good since she is crawling now and her knees can get out through the petals. Is there anything cuter than chubby little baby legs? She was actually wearing it backwards by the time I saw her, because the first thing she did was go for the buttons, just as I predicted. So I definitely need to shift the placket back next time, which will of course open up a nice space to play with trims or do some embroidery. I can't say much about sizing because I don't have much to compare to. I made the 12 month size; BabyK is mostly wearing 9-12mo right now and it looked a bit big but not ridiculously so. Her mom thought she would be able to wear it all summer at the rate she's growing. I didn't get the hat pattern (which is separate) but I think I may have to now. I used up all the fabric making a diaper cover, but I'll make a hat to go with the next version. There isn't a diaper cover in the pattern, either, so I just used one off another pattern. I'll write a review of whatever pattern I end up using for her Christening dress, I promise!
Hilary said... (6/22/04 8:44 AM) Reply
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this dress!! I'm so glad you reviewed it! I've been thinking about ordering it, now I think I will...how did you find the sizing, pretty true or does it run big or small? Thanks! Your version is really cute!
SouthernStitch said... (6/21/04 2:51 PM) Reply
Welcome sewgeeky - I too have enjoyed your site! Such a cute, different dress - I love your silly dress too!
Deepika said... (6/21/04 2:07 PM) Reply
oh how pretty! thanks for sharing
JDpenelope said... (6/21/04 2:04 PM) Reply
This "silly dress" is too cute. Very special
MaryBeth said... (6/21/04 11:48 AM) Reply
So glad to see you post here, have loved your site for the last few years, congrats on your wedding. And Welcome! I agree with your impulse to put the buttons in the back but I didn't get the part about putting the lining over the skirt seam...do you mean "bag" the bodice?
TanyaMT said... (6/21/04 11:18 AM) Reply
I saw this pattern at Sew Baby too. So glad to see a review for it.
Speech girl said... (6/21/04 10:56 AM) Reply
Very cute dress--and fun fabric.
Runrover said... (6/21/04 9:26 AM) Reply
I love the dress, especially the retro look. Wanno echo that it's great to see your reviews here. I enjoy your personal site a whole lot.
Annika said... (6/21/04 9:14 AM) Reply
This is a beeeuuutiful dress! I love the style and the fabric you chose.
AnneM said... (6/21/04 7:42 AM) Reply
Welcome to PR. What an adorable dress. And good idea to insert this in-between the wedding dress & the christening gown!
Tini said... (6/21/04 3:43 AM) Reply
sooo cute, I'm working on a christening gown too! Great pattern, maybe I should show that one to my SIL too!
Liana said... (6/21/04 1:29 AM) Reply
Darling, darling dress! It will be just as cute or cuter with the buttons in the back.
Ingiepops said... (6/21/04 1:14 AM) Reply
What a gorgeous dress! I love it!!
Georgene said... (6/21/04 0:19 AM) Reply
Great pattern, and great rendition! Are you going to make the hat? I'd love to see it modeled on the lucky baby.
Mandolin82 said... (6/20/04 10:46 PM) Reply
So cute and fun! I love the colors.
Jackie M said... (6/20/04 10:37 PM) Reply
Great to see you over here, Sara! Love the baby dress -- very funky fairy.

Lutterloh Lutterloh Supp 271#75