Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3123 (Mens' coat)

Review submitted in Winter Wear Contest

See other patterns in this category: Mens - Jackets
KathleenS said... (1/4/11 3:53 AM) Reply
Nice work.
katlew03 said... (1/3/11 5:13 PM) Reply
Both coats turned out great. Like the color blocking.
JillyBe said... (12/30/10 3:35 AM) Reply
I've oohed & aahed over your coats on the boards, but I'll add my official Awesome Job on your review as well - hubby should be very proud & happy!
Annette1 said... (12/22/10 11:48 PM) Reply
I can see why your hubby wanted to show this off. :o) This is one classy coat, with exquisite topstitching. After I saw your first jacket, I bought this pattern and am hoping to make it for my brother.
maryfrana said... (12/21/10 12:36 PM) Reply
This is a great looking coat and your DH is very lucky. I also love the mock up, especially the plaid. Very detailed review too.
Cat MacGregor said... (12/17/10 9:45 PM) Reply
Awesome job! Great to finally see the finished project after all the chat talk. I really like the colour blocking on yours. Well, except for the pink. 8P
jannw said... (12/17/10 1:30 AM) Reply
Great job on DH's also...collar and topstitching looks perfect..understandable why he doesn't want to wait to wear it!
Christas said... (12/16/10 9:22 PM) Reply
Both coats are absolutely wonderful. I can see why your husband wouldn't want to wait until Christmas to wear his new coat. You have done some very nice sewing on these!
dfr2010 said... (12/16/10 7:26 PM) Reply
Barb, I opened that can of worms back in June ... this coat is one of his specific requests.
MNBarb said... (12/16/10 6:07 PM) Reply
Uh, oh. After making this for your husband you are really opening a can of worms. He will be relentless in his desire for custom-fit, beautiful clothing. This coat is so very nice.
Maggiedoll said... (12/16/10 5:59 PM) Reply
That turned out wonderfully!
Hilary said... (12/15/10 9:22 PM) Reply
I think your coat is very pretty! I love the color blocking~and forgive me if you don't want this idea (I thought of it while looking at your pics) but I think binding the edge of the collar in blue canvas would really tie it together and be so cute! Forgive me if you hate that idea :P ~ it was just a thought. This is such a helpful review, I have this in my stash and have been too intimidated to try it-my DH is 6'2" and would require at least a large-ack, all that fabric! lol~can't wait to see your hubby's coat!
PittyPat said... (12/11/10 9:30 PM) Reply
Fantastic job! Glad your DH loves the pattern too and can you got a chance to convince him which is the right size for him. Yep... topstitching though all those layers is a real trial for a machine. Love my old [40yrs old] Kenmore machine that handles heavy fabric and layers like a champ.
mhk3boys said... (12/11/10 6:30 PM) Reply
Wow! I love your coat! I love your fabric combo! I'm glad you like Kwik Sew as they are my favs.
treefrog said... (12/11/10 5:36 PM) Reply
You jacket looks excellent. I love the colour blocking.
clio59 said... (12/11/10 12:03 PM) Reply
Great jacket and the colour blocking definitely doesn't look like an afterthought.
JEF said... (12/11/10 10:54 AM) Reply
Super helpful review and I love your coat!
mssewcrazy said... (12/11/10 5:54 AM) Reply
I like this but I know that as narrow shouldered as I am I would need to work on the shoulders a lot but I still want one. That canvas/fleece combo sounds so great and looks nice with the color block.
Margaret said... (12/11/10 5:04 AM) Reply
Great jacket! Love the color blocking and the fleece/canvas combo, and the fabric choices for DH's version too. It looks like a very useful jacket and a great pattern!
jannw said... (12/11/10 1:55 AM) Reply
Great Job! Topstitching and the buttons look good. Looking forward to seeing DH's version
Aroura said... (12/11/10 0:35 AM) Reply
Amazing! I can't believe this is just a test/mock-up. I also like the color blocking. Fantastic job, I bet your DH is going to love his version!
Annette1 said... (12/11/10 0:26 AM) Reply
VERY STYLISH with your PLANNED color blocking. :o) You know, I was JUST tonight looking online onSierra Trading Post (in order to avoid W-O-R-K-I-N-G), and there was a Powder River Jacket that was SO cute in CORAL, but they only had it in an XS, WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too little for me, but your jacket is very much like that jacket. I may have to get this pattern and hope mine turns out as cute as yours has. I also LOVE the fabric for your hubby's.
Gelbean said... (12/10/10 10:45 PM) Reply
Very Nice!
newmama said... (12/10/10 9:31 PM) Reply
I would never have guessed that the color-blocking wasn't part of the pattern! I'm with the others on liking the fleece/canvas mix--fantastic!
mary in FL said... (12/10/10 9:00 PM) Reply
Great coat! I like your description of Florida winter coat = [yankee] light jacket, because it's true!
GlButterfly said... (12/10/10 8:41 PM) Reply
Looks good plus lots of good info in the review.
Manalto said... (12/10/10 7:42 PM) Reply
That's terrific! I'll vouch for it, too. I wear it a lot. I've thrown it in the washing machine a couple of times, and it's starting to look broken in, like an old pair of jeans.
dfr2010 said... (12/10/10 6:50 PM) Reply
Manalto - your review and pic inspired me ... and convinced hubby on this pattern!
Manalto said... (12/10/10 6:40 PM) Reply
Thanks for a thoughtful review. I like this coat - it can be dressed up with a nice wool, more casual out of a denim or canvas, or it can be unique and inventive as you've done here. The coat doesn't look way out of proportion on you - a bit oversized, which may be nice with a heavy sweater underneath.
AnitaJJ said... (12/3/10 7:21 PM) Reply
... and the pretty pink plaid really spices it up. I LOVE the idea of mixing fleece and canvas. Fleece alone doesn't break the wind, we find even here in Florida the last few days of almost freezing weather.
AnitaJJ said... (12/3/10 7:21 PM) Reply
This is looking great. Yes, I also LOVE KwikSew. Very nice job.
PatM said... (12/2/10 10:13 PM) Reply
My Hubby usually buy large shirts, but KS medium size fits well. Maybe you could tell him that KS is drafted large.
MNBarb said... (12/2/10 9:09 PM) Reply
Aren't KS patterns wonderful to use? It doesn't surprise me that the shoulders are a bit wide. If you look at the envelope drawing it does show a dropped shoulder and these patterns tend to have more ease than some. I suggest always doing a flat pattern measure before getting started. This review makes me want to start sewing for my husband again. Thanks.
ColorMeHome said... (12/2/10 8:39 AM) Reply
Great review. I love Kwik Sew patterns!
mssewcrazy said... (12/2/10 7:17 AM) Reply
Your review in progress made me look at all the reviews - I think I want one of these myself. Fleece and canvas/denim/or twill sounds wonderful.Thanks I would never have thought of using a men's pattern to do one.

Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS