Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8146 (MISSES'/MISSES' PETITE JACKET AND DRESS)

Reviewed by:petro

Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Coat/Jacket
Fabric:Wool Tweed  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:
"Above hip length jacket has two-piece raglan three-quarter length sleeve, collar and back pleat with bow, front button opening."

Pattern Sizing:
I made size 14 (I should have cut at least one size smaller!)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Actually no. The sketch is of the jacket back view only, so you don't get an artists impression of the collar and front button detail. However, the back of the collar gives an impression of something which sits deeper and more relaxed than the collar pattern. The length in the sketch looks fractionally longer than the original pattern length gave on me (I have back nape to waist measurement standard). They have helpfully written the finished back length measurement on the envelope, but I didn't read this before cutting. Its a scant two inches below waist on standard measurement for my size, and I think the sketch gives an impression of being a bit more. But that's my fault for not checking. In brief, I ended up messing around with this garment a lot to get something wearable, and doesn't look like I expected from the sketch.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, but its so easy you don't need them. The one big plus of this pattern is that you could put it together in your sleep.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Like - bought it for the swing back, still think that is good, but with reservations.
Dislike - its not lined, not a big deal, cutting a lining pattern isn't too hard, but when the fabrics suggested include tweed is that good?
The neckline and collar. The neck on the pattern is high all round, pretty close to the natural neckine, and the collar a bit mean. Its also not cut on the bias, either piece, and didn't sit brilliantly.
The length. If you make this don't cut it before you check it on you. It comes out quite short, and the amount of swing in the back makes it seem shorter. I think this length could have worked in a different fabric, but not in my tweed.
The sleeve, came out quite tight at the cuff end, and (on me) did not hang brilliantly. There's no shoulder pad and I needed to make one to get the sleeve to sit at all well on me.

Fabric Used:
A woven lambswool tweed
cotton velvet
lining

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
added a band four inches deep
dropped neckline at the front by one inch kept the height at the back
redrafted collar wider onto lower neckline
pockets and pocket bands
cuffs
lining
dart in the front

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I won't sew this again. For me, there's too much wrong with the pattern, and if I want another swing back raglan jacket, it would be quicker to draft it myself. Still, its got features which might appeal, so I'd recommend with a few caveats. Definitely, it needs a toile, but also, the fabric chosen is going to effect the way the back falls. This is a bit difficult to predict. On one figure, the tweed I had might have worked out ok. The other suggestions, crepe and lightweight bouclé, could be much better than the tweed.

Conclusion:
I've finally finished this jacket after abandonding it for five years! I made a skirt to go with it from a pattern of my own draft. I don't love this outfit, but it's wearable and the fabric is beautifully soft and warm, so it will get used.
blog post
jjosiejo said... (7/21/15 2:20 PM) Reply
Tres chic, Mme!
petro said... (3/29/15 3:16 AM) Reply
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I am warming to it slightly, now that the memory of battling with the pattern is wearing off!
Leslie Bonner said... (3/29/15 0:49 AM) Reply
It might not be your favorite garment but you might rethink it once the compliments start. Thanks for your review.
judypin said... (3/28/15 2:35 AM) Reply
There are skirts that you want to twirl in, but this is a jacket that I would want to twirl in : ) I understand your problems with it, but in the end, it is quite a distinctive jacket that nobody else has, and it's fun and unique, so it, and you, deserve credit for that.
Vancouvergirl said... (3/28/15 0:29 AM) Reply
Looks gorgeous!
Joccy said... (3/28/15 0:13 AM) Reply
It looks terrific on you - very stylish.
carolynw said... (3/27/15 11:59 PM) Reply
This was worth all the trouble it gave you - looks terrific!
Robin Denning said... (3/27/15 7:05 PM) Reply
despite the difficulties, it looks really nice. Enjoy wearing it!
WinterQueen said... (3/27/15 7:02 PM) Reply
I have looked at this pattern several times but never bought it. How lovely to see your casual version. What a great outfit :)x
marjenann said... (3/27/15 6:30 PM) Reply
Love the whole ensemble! Terrific look!
dolcevita said... (3/27/15 5:36 PM) Reply
Very nice and an excellent save on the length. I made this a couple of years ago and agree with all your comments, particularly on how the swing makes the back seem even shorter.

by: Ms. Monica...