Online Sewing Class: Create a Jacket Muslin

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5533 (jackets with back detail)

Reviewed by:jennybaxt

About jennybaxtstarstarstar
AUSTRALIA
Member since: 11/8/07
Posted on:12/6/10 5:42 AM

See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
RoseOK said... (11/19/11 3:05 PM) Reply
I love the color of your jacket and your buttons. I would increase the size of your arm hole a little bit and it will help with the gathers on the sleeve. Some people were commenting that the sleeve was too far down so here is an opportunity to raise the shoulder.
janet said... (12/7/10 3:25 PM) Reply
I think RLL gave you great advice--the only other thing I would suggest is maybe edge stitch the pleats all the way down--if it does not make the bottom too narrow to sit in!
RLL said... (12/6/10 11:19 AM) Reply
Sorry this did not work for you. The design struck me immediately when I saw it, but as I read your review I could see what you are saying as problems. The pleats are very nice looking but would create a lot of fabric below and how will it look after a little time in the car....crumpled and rumpled pleats. And the front is kinda plain....but the front pockets would help. The pattern calls for fabrics that are kinda stiff...cord, denim and tweed...so I don't think you made a wrong choice of fabric. Any of the fabrics recommended would have a problem with easing in the sleeve. Honestly, I shave off some from the cap of the sleeve (making the sleeve a little smaller). If that is not enough then I shave off a little from the armseye itself, under the arm (making the armhole a little larger). May not be the RIGHT way to do it, but it works for me.

by: usbeckers