Online Sewing Class: More Knits

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1202 (Donna Karan Top And Skirt)

Reviewed by:ITAdmin

About ITAdminstarstarstar
USA
Member since: 11/19/06
Posted on:1/1/11 6:22 AM
Last Updated:1/5/11 9:40 AM

verobiride said... (12/24/11 1:15 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for this review. I was going nowhere, was all stressed, completely lost. OK, i had to read your reviews several times, and followed your comments step by step, and finally, here it is. The skirt is finished, thank you so much!..
verobiride said... (12/24/11 1:15 PM) Reply
ITAdmin said... (5/14/11 7:22 AM) Reply
Cosso, I can't think of a reason that you absolutely have to include the lining. But it's been a while since I made this. You may still want to line the top section or at least stitch the seam across the front--the one that's the top seam of the skirt but not the waistline. I do think that's helpful for "adjusting and arranging" when you wear the skirt. I'm not sure how much of a role the lining plays in shaping the garment for wearing.
Cosso said... (5/13/11 4:06 AM) Reply
Got the fabric today and I empathise with you...Vogue always manage to find some difficult way to do something that looks easy lol. I didn't want to line my skirt as I'm using a spandex/lycra and it'll make it too heavy. Can I make it do you think, without lining?
ITAdmin said... (3/10/11 9:26 AM) Reply
I agree that too thin wouldn't be good, but it does need to be something that drapes well. Also the skirt fabric can't be very thick because of the twist; it could easily become pretty bulky. I used a poly-lycra knit on the lighterweight side for the skirt. For the top, I'm thinking lightweight double knit or, better yet, a nice stable jersey.
Bonnie123 said... (3/9/11 12:26 PM) Reply
My fabric is not the thinnest; however, I think a thin fabric would look cheap. What are your thoughts on fabric choice?
ITAdmin said... (3/8/11 6:58 AM) Reply
Bonnie, sewing the skirt isn't that time-consuming. There's a fair amount of hemming and edge-finishing, and the back tab/binding pieces were a little tedious. It took me longer than it should have because of figuring out how to put it together. I think I really was handicapped by never having made a wrap skirt. And having such a big piece of fabric to cut out and handle was a bit of a problem in my sewing space. I'll be looking for your review. I'm still thinking about making the top and really want to see that reviewed.
Bonnie123 said... (3/7/11 11:44 AM) Reply
Was the project time consuming (do I need to allow for extra time on this project?)
Bonnie123 said... (3/7/11 11:37 AM) Reply
Very Nice! Thanks for the tidbits. Pray for me as I embark on this journey (lol). I will attempt to make both top and skirt. Pictures to follow.
ClioBklyn said... (2/3/11 1:16 PM) Reply
What an amazing job you did! The skirt looks marvelous on you. I love you comment on figuring out how to wear it - I have a Donna Karan RTW top that took me 3 years to figure out... LOL
lamstu said... (1/6/11 9:28 AM) Reply
What an amazing skirt!
Athene said... (1/5/11 10:58 PM) Reply
The skirt fits you beautifully and thank you so much for those photos - they really provide a very helpful visual for sewing this skirt. I really liked this pattern but have not purchased it because I thought it might only be for the very vey thin models and not regular sized women - now I know better - its a very beautiful look on you - makes me want to buy the pattern.
marjenann said... (1/5/11 7:15 PM) Reply
Wow!! That is one stylish, chic skirt and you look fabulous!!!!
ggf2005 said... (1/5/11 1:52 PM) Reply
Great review, very infomative. You look fabulous in this skirt. I would hesitate to put that twisty thing on my bum, but on you it is fabulous.
marthamyers said... (1/2/11 8:19 PM) Reply
Fabulous review, ITAdmin. Thanks.
janet said... (1/2/11 5:38 PM) Reply
Great skirt.
Beek said... (1/2/11 12:53 PM) Reply
This looks so stylish! I have always loved DKNY patterns and this is no exception. Thanks for the great review!
lesliez said... (1/2/11 1:50 AM) Reply
Thanks for the ultra helpful review. This skirt looks terrific on you. And it's nice to see it worn with your tailored jacket, a totally different look than on the envelope, and just as great.
Clareew said... (1/1/11 3:55 PM) Reply
Great Review for a great garment.
Annette1 said... (1/1/11 3:39 PM) Reply
This looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good on you! Would you believe I actually bought this pattern, AS IF Icould actually wear it -- ha! Your review will be a godsend for anybody else making this skirt, very thorough! :o)
BillieJean said... (1/1/11 3:36 PM) Reply
Very pretty and so different.

by: MissMarnie