Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8648 (Misses' Dress)

Reviewed by:KathleenS

About KathleenSstarstar
NA AUSTRALIA
Member since: 11/18/02
Posted on:2/1/11 3:30 AM
Last Updated:2/1/11 3:44 AM

JoJo Sews said... (4/30/11 8:36 AM) Reply
The gorgeous piping brings the dress together and I would agree with nicegirl - if you have the energy you could take in the bodice a little, but Aussie summers can be very hot and a little air flow is not always a bad thing! I feel the whole dress in the floral might have been a bit overwhelming - your bodice is fresh and definitely not out of place. I love the line of the skirt also - perfect, feminine and flattering. Wear it with confidence!
Mel.J said... (2/2/11 6:19 AM) Reply
Kathleen, thanks for all the tips in this review. I agree with nicegirl's suggestion to try a wider belt (the red colour was good for a belt though). I can imagine it having a real 50's feel. Also, once the weather cools down, maybe a jacket (denim?) over the top would be worth a try.
nicegirl said... (2/1/11 2:32 PM) Reply
Ah, I think it's cute! It looks so summery and comfortable. If you're not happy with it, I would suggest shortening the bodice a squidge, maybe just half an inch. It looks like it's sitting slightly below your natural waist, which might make it feel boxy (I have a high waist so am very sensitive to waistline placement--it's never in the right place for me as drafted). Just pin out some bodice length and see if that makes a difference. It could also be taken in a little for a more trim look--but frankly, I'd try a wider belt before doing that. I know, both of these require major unpicking and redoing. No fun. I also like Loti's idea of a yo yo or kanzashi pin for the bodice.
sunnysewer said... (2/1/11 1:24 PM) Reply
great summer dress, love the fabric, and I like the contrast white and floral. very nice comprehensive review.
pfaffkj said... (2/1/11 12:45 PM) Reply
Your dress is lovely. And your constructions is wonderful. I agree with others that a belt would not be a helpful addition. The idea of a fabric pin is a good one. The dress looks very nice on you, I hope that as you wear it, you'll decide you like it more than you do now!
persevering said... (2/1/11 12:20 PM) Reply
Lovely dress (the piping really ties it in) and great review! Looking at your dress and glimpsing at some of your previous garments (to try to understand what suits you), I suggest you take in the skirt part on the side seams if possible (guess it would be difficult with the lovely interlining/lining) to streamline and have this dress more flattering on you. However, you did great work, and your dress is also beautiful as it is. Congratulations!
homejewel said... (2/1/11 12:11 PM) Reply
Your dress is beautiful - I love it as is!
NancyZL said... (2/1/11 10:01 AM) Reply
I like it very much as is. As loti said a flower/fabric pin on the bodice could tie it together more .
kkkkaty said... (2/1/11 10:00 AM) Reply
I like it also, and I like the mix of fabrics.
SewWil said... (2/1/11 9:50 AM) Reply
Cute dress. I don't think it needs a belt. Thank you for the detailed review.
loti said... (2/1/11 8:40 AM) Reply
I like it without the belt, the piping ties the top to the skirt. If you have any scraps you could make a pin and put it on the bodice somewhere.
PJH said... (2/1/11 6:36 AM) Reply
What a lovely dress! I think it's great without a belt.
FreyaStark said... (2/1/11 4:34 AM) Reply
It looks pretty good to me. I like it the way it is, and I don't think a belt would be an improvement. Your solution to insufficient fabric is clever, and the neck trim is a nice touch. Thanks for the link to that fabulous tip about interlining.

Understanding Knit Fabrics