Online Sewing Class: Create a Jacket Muslin

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8682 (Misses' Dress)

Reviewed by:solosmocker

About solosmockerstarstarstar
NY USA
Member since: 1/23/06
Posted on:1/11/11 7:25 PM
Last Updated:1/11/11 7:30 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 9 people
Gendun said... (3/22/12 2:25 PM) Reply
DaisyEsq said it best! Just want to add that it suits you wonderfully, even if those darn red curtains are doing their best to upstage you! Thanks for an extremely helpful review. :)
OlgaT said... (3/6/11 4:54 PM) Reply
I love the way your blouse came out, and velvet, no less!
donna mel said... (1/13/11 7:48 PM) Reply
omg love the velvet!! the wash and dry didn't turn it into 'crushed velvet'?? i'm going to try it! thanks.
Barbara V said... (1/12/11 9:49 PM) Reply
What amazing work to make this top so gorgeous. I hope to try the distressing treatment on silk velvet sometime. And you hand picked the zipper, sleeve and bottom hem. What a work of art AND it fits you perfectly. Simply lovely!
VirginiasDghter said... (1/12/11 9:21 PM) Reply
Very nice top that looks good on you. Love the fabric choice.
AuntieShel said... (1/12/11 8:18 PM) Reply
Gorgeous top that fits you perfectly! Have been contemplating this pattern, now that I see your fabulous version, may give it a try. The velvet is spectacular.
solosmocker said... (1/12/11 8:01 PM) Reply
Marjoriek: The construction defines how I will clean the velvet garment. Something with beads like this one, I would wash by hand and maybe give it a short toss in the dryer when near dry. The dryer is what really lushes it up. If it was a more simple design I would definitely wash on gentle in the machine and machine dry as stated. The zipper was hand picked with a back stitch as were the sleeve and bottom hems.
mylittleelephant said... (1/12/11 10:35 AM) Reply
I would love to try distressing silk like you mention, the result seems to be evident on your top, gorgeous!
Karine said... (1/12/11 8:54 AM) Reply
That velvet is yummy! Real silk velvet feels so good, I'm sure you'll love wearing this. I actually like your version of the top much better than a dress from this pattern. Very pretty.
becca a said... (1/12/11 8:52 AM) Reply
What a gorgeous top! The velvet looks so lovely to wear.
lamstu said... (1/12/11 8:49 AM) Reply
Very beautiful. I also wash and dry my silk velvet for added texture. It's a bear to sew, but worth it as we all can see. Great idea to use the dress pattern to make a top; I'm doing that frequently these days.
KensingtonCrab said... (1/12/11 6:48 AM) Reply
So beautiful!
FreyaStark said... (1/12/11 3:11 AM) Reply
A lovely top that looks good on you. I like the colour, too.
lesliez said... (1/12/11 2:00 AM) Reply
Your top is beautiful.
marjoriekh said... (1/11/11 11:10 PM) Reply
Your top is lovely! I would never have visualized this pattern in silk velvet. I am interested in how you pre-treated the velvet, and want to try it. Do you machine wash it thereafter, or hand wash once it's constructed? And what kind of zipper installation did you use in this, if any?
DaisyEsq said... (1/11/11 9:27 PM) Reply
The fabric is gorgeous and your blouse is too.
SewWil said... (1/11/11 8:36 PM) Reply
Very nice top. Looks good on you. I like the fabric.

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns