Online Sewing Class: Perfectly Fitted Shirt

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 09-2010-121 (Turtleneck Top)

Reviewed by:Elizabeth made this

BurdaStyle Magazine Pattern Info

More Info provided by Elizabeth made this

Pattern Rating:Great Wardrobe Builder
Fabric:Polyester Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
*version 2 is the non-pregnant version for me. When you click the thumbnail you get pregnant me.
Pattern Description: From French Burda:
"Timeless
It is all the closets and always welcome for decades.
The sweater has a little fine jersey mock turtleneck and long sleeves fine.
It is as charming on pants and skirts that are willing to love in blouses or dresses!"

Pattern Sizing:36-44
For version 1 (maternity version) I graded down to a 34 in the shoulders and neck and transitioned to a 38 at the bottom of the armscye, using a 38 sleeve.

*Version 2 is a 32 in the shoulders and neck and a 34 at the bottom of the armscye, non maternity.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?Yes. This is a very basic top, and simple for beginners once you understand how the neck seam is created.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?It's like a good piece of homemade plain toast and butter. It's simple and it leaves you feeling happy. Basic--yes, but it's so versatile both in terms of the different range of knits you could make it in and in how easy it is to accessorize. The turtleneck is not constricting, and the drafting is good. It looks sleek without being overly tight. I know some people have complained of lots of extra ease. I didn't have this issue, but I'm also 7 months pregnant.

*version 2: I still don't feel there is a lot of extra ease in this pattern. This version is fitted without being tight.

I will say that the top seems a little short, but being as pregnant as I am, I'm not sure that I can be trusted on that point. I didn't have to shorten it my standard 3" at any rate.

Fabric Used:Mystery knit from Denver Fabrics. Poly-something or other with not a ton of stretch but navy basket weave pattern that I ultimately love.

version 2: heathered oatmeal rayon jersey

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:I added an 1.5" wedge at the side seam and lowered CF by 2" to make room for baby, as always using the Rostitchery tutorial for a full tummy adjustment . I shortened the sleeves by a little over 2" and also took some inspiration from nicegirl's version and added thumbholes via inseam buttonholes in the underarm seam. My process for doing this is detailed on my blog: Elizabeth Made This: A turtleneck worth the hoopla
Here is a good picture of the thumbholes .

Version 2: because the construction is simple and I knew that i could sew it up quickly, I decided to embellish the seams with some flatlocking on my serger. I flatlocked the hems as well, treating the hem as you would a blind hem, running it through the serger with the hem on top of the fold and the fold running on the side of but not through the blade, then pulling lightly on the hem to flatten the loops and expose the ladders.

closeup of loops and ladders

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?Yes, this will be a staple pattern for winter wear. It's lovely as a maternity pattern and it's easy to accessorize and embellish as a standard pattern.

Conclusion: I can't believe I love a turtleneck, but seriously, this is such a great pattern. My sweet husband, who is not into clothes whatsoever keeps telling me how nice this top is, so it must be a great pattern!

There's more about flatlocking on my blog. Elizabeth Made This: A flatlocked turtleneck

Vesta Patterns

vestapatterns.com

Levone said... (2/20/12 12:08 PM) Reply
Love your latest top...thanks for the reminder about using the serger for flatlocking seams. I have never used that but always like tops I see that have that.
Terri A said... (2/18/12 1:35 AM) Reply
Very adorable!
SewWil said... (2/18/12 0:53 AM) Reply
Great looking turtleneck. Thanks for the detailed review.
Elona said... (2/17/12 10:43 PM) Reply
Sweet-looking top, Elizabeth!
savivaring said... (1/28/11 8:13 AM) Reply
Where can I find this pattern? It looks great!
Christas said... (1/24/11 11:37 PM) Reply
Very nice review, and your new turtleneck looks wonderful on you!
mssewcrazy said... (1/24/11 8:43 AM) Reply
Very nice top! I also found your idea of using the smaller shoulder and larger underarm helpful and enjoyed reading your review.
skae said... (1/23/11 8:26 PM) Reply