Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4440 (Dress)

Reviewed by:TanyaMT

About TanyaMTstarstarstar
Member since: 4/28/04
Posted on:7/8/04 5:27 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Needs More Info by 1 people    Very Helpful by 1 people

annasender said... (7/19/08 5:13 PM) Reply
I've made this dress three times, it's actually one of my favorites. I make the long version. Instead of making button holes, I just sew the buttons straight through the fabric, works fine for me. I love using the bias tape instead of a facing. I made it from a beautiful light green/pink madras plaid. Another blue and maroon plaid with gecko silhouettes allover it. And finally a novelty print of red and green peppers on a black background. I also liked that the sleeve was self-faced.
JDpenelope said... (7/11/04 8:43 AM) Reply
Well, the fabric looks dynamite and there's something to be said for easy! I wish there was time to try this or a similar "stodgy" pattern for our upcoming summer travel--looks comfortable and classic.
TanyaMT said... (7/9/04 10:43 AM) Reply
Vivienne, it doesn't suit me, but it may very well look fantastic on you. I'll look forward to seeing your version. I probably could fuss with it more and get some improvement but at this point I think I'm just going to stick it on a hanger and maybe pull it out later for revisions.
Vivienne said... (7/9/04 0:20 AM) Reply
Your version looks much better than the illustration on the pattern - very current vs. stodgy. Are you sure it doesn't work? This has been languishing in my pattern pile for years but I am going to try it soon (with fashion fabric bias).
edube said... (7/8/04 11:42 PM) Reply
I made this dress a while ago out of a light blue cotton and just kept taking it in, taking it in... I thought that maybe it was because I am short (5'2"), but I got good wear out of it in the end.
Jennifer shaw said... (7/8/04 10:33 PM) Reply
Its too bad that it did not work for you. It sounds that dh may be right - can you change it to become more fitted and flattering for you?

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-1996-417