Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4440 (Dress)

Reviewed by:TanyaMT

About TanyaMTstarstarstar
Member since: 4/28/04
Posted on:7/8/04 5:27 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Needs More Info by 1 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
annasender said... (7/19/08 5:13 PM) Reply
I've made this dress three times, it's actually one of my favorites. I make the long version. Instead of making button holes, I just sew the buttons straight through the fabric, works fine for me. I love using the bias tape instead of a facing. I made it from a beautiful light green/pink madras plaid. Another blue and maroon plaid with gecko silhouettes allover it. And finally a novelty print of red and green peppers on a black background. I also liked that the sleeve was self-faced.
JDpenelope said... (7/11/04 8:43 AM) Reply
Well, the fabric looks dynamite and there's something to be said for easy! I wish there was time to try this or a similar "stodgy" pattern for our upcoming summer travel--looks comfortable and classic.
TanyaMT said... (7/9/04 10:43 AM) Reply
Vivienne, it doesn't suit me, but it may very well look fantastic on you. I'll look forward to seeing your version. I probably could fuss with it more and get some improvement but at this point I think I'm just going to stick it on a hanger and maybe pull it out later for revisions.
Vivienne said... (7/9/04 0:20 AM) Reply
Your version looks much better than the illustration on the pattern - very current vs. stodgy. Are you sure it doesn't work? This has been languishing in my pattern pile for years but I am going to try it soon (with fashion fabric bias).
edube said... (7/8/04 11:42 PM) Reply
I made this dress a while ago out of a light blue cotton and just kept taking it in, taking it in... I thought that maybe it was because I am short (5'2"), but I got good wear out of it in the end.
Jennifer shaw said... (7/8/04 10:33 PM) Reply
Its too bad that it did not work for you. It sounds that dh may be right - can you change it to become more fitted and flattering for you?

Pattern Work
Pattern Work

Jamie Christina Hooded Scarf Pattern (JC307HS)

Jamie Christina Hooded Scarf Pattern (JC307HS)

Sewing Workshop Zona Jacket Pattern