Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5305 (Tank Dress Group)

Reviewed by:Londa Rohlfing

About Londa Rohlfingstar
Member since: 11/30/03
Posted on:7/11/04 8:44 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Tops

HatBuddy said... (4/30/11 8:08 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for the info about armholes to high. I was a swimmer and weightlifter most my life so I almost always have trouble with armhole sizes. Even if I didn't seem to need larger ones then most ladies I would still HATE the fabric up to my pits!! Feels weird to me! You saved me wasting money on a frustrating pattern (I already have a few of those :) :) )
Daydreamer said... (5/20/08 11:26 AM) Reply
Very informative and thorough review with great tips plus photos. Impressive, thank You!
Claudia Resch said... (7/12/04 6:34 PM) Reply
I think the knit one looks awesome, and even the other one turned out well through your alterations. I had heard that these patterns were better on small boned flat(ter) chested women, and that's what seems to be the problem.
dkk974 said... (7/12/04 11:29 AM) Reply
Leave it to Londa to come up with a cute way to finish of the neckline. Thank you, Londa for your honest assessment.
sewsue said... (7/11/04 11:51 PM) Reply
Thanks for such a detailed review. I like your tops especially the woven one. I like sewing because you can improvise when needed, but I must agree about expecting more from the expensive patterns in the way of instructions and detail. I would actually like to see patterrns providing instructions for alternative methods when there is more than one way to do a job.
AnneM said... (7/11/04 2:46 PM) Reply
You did a great job rescuing your top. And you are DEFINITELY going to get second looks in the burgundy top! And I totally agree; part of my reason to get an independent pattern is for instructions.
Debbie Cook said... (7/11/04 2:16 PM) Reply
Thanks for the honest review. Both tops look great, in spite of the trouble. The trim on the aqua top is a gorgeous addition. The burgundy top looks great on you, very sexy! ... but thanks for the pic because I can see that I would definitely spill out over it with my body.
Levone said... (7/11/04 2:07 PM) Reply
Both tops are very pretty despite the issues you encountered. I love the trim and bow addition.
sewywabbit said... (7/11/04 12:39 PM) Reply
The burgundy tank DOES look good on you, despite all the grief it gave you. I have said before that I will save the $16. I wonder if Loes should consider reissuing this one, with a dart on the dress and maybe a fit fix on view D. I see that the weekender bag is only priced at $12, maybe this one, since it IS so simplistic, should be reissued at $12 or $10.
Gigi Louis said... (7/11/04 11:37 AM) Reply
Londa, I do love the way you embellished the neckline. I may have to borrow that idea from you at some point, hope you don't mind! I do think the View E tank looks really nice on you.
Teenie said... (7/11/04 11:01 AM) Reply
Both shirts look great despite the trouble they gave you.
MaryBeth said... (7/11/04 10:48 AM) Reply
Whew, nice save, Londa. Thanks for the honest review.
PVA said... (7/11/04 10:39 AM) Reply
Londa, thank you so much for your honest assessment of this pattern. I can only echo the statements in the other comments as well as your own, I do expect that "extra mile" in the patterns from the independents. I know you've taken some heat from a very few of us who post here and at SW, but I for one, need the input from the advanced "fabric artists" in order to continue to learn and grow in my sewing. Your work on this pattern is very creative, and your tank top is just beautiful!
Annette H said... (7/11/04 10:04 AM) Reply
This is a very informative review. I am about to try several Loes H. patterns, and looking through the directions, I find they're are minimal, to say the least. We are not all advanced sewers and when we spend $16, the least we should expect is a full set of instructions. The very advanced sewers can just ignore them - I NEED them. Having said that, you achieved wonders. I love the personal look of the satin trim. Thanks for your honest opinion - hopes Loes reads PR reviews.
CarolynGM said... (7/11/04 9:58 AM) Reply
Good outcome despite the issues with the pattern.
GorgeousFabrics said... (7/11/04 9:52 AM) Reply
Nice job on what must have been a frustrating project. I like the knit tank much better than the woven. And I have found that LH designs' armsceyes are cut way too tight. Thanks for a good review. -Ann
Mini said... (7/11/04 9:46 AM) Reply
Thanks for a candid review.
Oopsy-Daisy! said... (7/11/04 9:22 AM) Reply
Good save with the neckline - I like that design finish!

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-1996-417

by: motorharp

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

Sew Liberated Flora Tunic and Twirly Skirt