Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2804 (Empire crossover top)

Reviewed by:MNBarb

Posted on:2/20/11 4:41 PM
Last Updated:8/20/11 10:54 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 21 people

cleverkitty said... (4/12/15 7:19 PM) Reply
I should have read your review before making this, yes the modesty panel pulls, I think overall I need to size up, this is the first time of all the jalie styles I have made. It's so narrow across the bottom too. Back to making it right...b
FreyaStark said... (8/22/11 4:44 AM) Reply
I don't know what a cover stitch machine is but the top certainly is cute and fits you to perfection. The wool paisley one is lovely, too.
sewing for fun said... (8/21/11 12:01 PM) Reply
Congratulations on your coverstitch machine! Your top looks great!
Rhoda K said... (8/21/11 11:12 AM) Reply
Love all your tops, especially the paisley. Thanks for your helpful review.
sewbehind said... (8/21/11 11:05 AM) Reply
Beautiful top, Barb. The way you are turning out garments that price per garment will be down very very soon. Congratulations on the great top and coverstitch!
Amanda.Claire said... (8/21/11 8:26 AM) Reply
Aww, you look good in girlie fabric! Great top and love the coverstitch. I have a Pfaff combo machine set up as the serger and a Viking combo machine set up as the coverstitch.
marec said... (8/21/11 1:50 AM) Reply
Nice girly print :-) I'm green with envy about both your sewing expertise and the coverstitch machine.
Annette1 said... (8/21/11 1:30 AM) Reply
Hey, check out that COVERSTITCH! GOOD FOR YOU! CLEARLY, though, I'm goign to have to show up and MESS UP YOUR SEWING ROOM a little. Look, even your foot pedals are perfectly aligned. :o) And speaking of perfect, you've got a real winner of a top here. You're putting this pattern to such good use, you've practically paid for your coverstitch already. :o)
renren said... (8/21/11 1:03 AM) Reply
Ha, cute! I thought, "Now why does Minnesota Barb have 2 sergers." I'll read her review and find out and then I took a closer look and thought, "Oh, my goodness! Is that a coverstitich machine???!!!" Yes, IT IS, according to the review. Love it and I love how you so obviously love your machines. Looks like you've all bonded nicely. And wow, look at those Jalie tops!
crazygrad said... (8/21/11 0:12 AM) Reply
You look great! Your top is very pretty, great colors on you! Your machine has a great smile and nice buns! Too much?
Lori V said... (8/21/11 0:01 AM) Reply
every garment is fantastic, great job. Isn't the coverstitch machine amazing?
ArtAttack said... (8/20/11 11:54 PM) Reply
I love all of your tops...looks like a great pattern and they look super on you...
Trinity. said... (5/17/11 11:55 AM) Reply
I love the wool paisley, Barb. Absolutely gorgeous!
Barbara V said... (4/25/11 9:20 AM) Reply
The beautiful wool knit paisley worked up nicely into your "one hour" top. The fit is right on and you look great in it!
Lori V said... (4/25/11 7:12 AM) Reply
Great looking tops.
mssewcrazy said... (4/25/11 7:10 AM) Reply
Really really pretty tops!
renren said... (4/25/11 0:12 AM) Reply
I like them both. You achieved a great fit.
marec said... (4/24/11 11:51 PM) Reply
Both tops are...tops! I missed the first one when I was traveling and am so glad to see it now. You look great in both versions. I love the long sleeve version.
marec said... (4/24/11 11:51 PM) Reply
oops
Scheri said... (4/24/11 11:14 PM) Reply
Great top on you.
Annette1 said... (2/21/11 5:54 PM) Reply
Oh my gosh, I'd kill to look that good in a pair of shorts and a sleeveless top. :o) VERY cute, and it sounds like you've got the problem solved for next go' round with the modesty panel, too.
newmama said... (2/21/11 5:16 PM) Reply
I really like your top and am sorry the modesty panel didn't work for you. I actually wanted to get this pattern for maternity, and may still since it can be made sleeveless. Thank you for the review!
Christas said... (2/21/11 12:39 PM) Reply
Really cute top on you! The fabric is pretty and this is a really nice style on you.
magoe6217 said... (2/21/11 11:28 AM) Reply
Sounds like you have the pulling problem figured out for next time. Could you just piece the modesty panel on this one in a hidden area to make it wider? Your fabric choice is great! Black and white always looks chic and sophisticated.
Barbara V said... (2/21/11 11:10 AM) Reply
Cute top Barb. Looks like you've figured out what needs to be done for fitting adjustment on next top. I'm impressed that you would put on shorts and sleeveless top in this winter freezy weather!
MNBarb said... (2/21/11 10:04 AM) Reply
Thanks for the tip but it really isn't a shoulder problem this time. The modesty panel is just cut too narrow across the chest and then, with added elasic it's going to pull. If I add the panel again I'm going to cut it bigger. I'll have to find the magic amount that lies flat against the skin without the tightness that causes pulling.
cleverkitty said... (2/21/11 9:01 AM) Reply
Looks like a narrow shoulder adjustment, try taking out excess width. Try pinching out and tapering. I just got this new adjustment on one shoulder only when I broke my collar bone last year, it is different then the other now and fabric does not lay smooth. I like your enthusiasm to make summer clothes and I love black and white prints (and cats)--- yea crazy cat lady
Peggy L said... (2/21/11 8:15 AM) Reply
The style looks so nice on you and I really like your fabric. I haven't made this pattern so no help on the armhole issue but I wonder if it would do this in a different knit.
Karine said... (2/21/11 7:36 AM) Reply
Very cute top and it looks great on you. I hope you'll post an update if you find a solution for the neckline problem. It's really a nice design.
ryan's mom said... (2/20/11 10:34 PM) Reply
Really cute! Don't make me buy another Jalie lol :) .
Terri A said... (2/20/11 10:24 PM) Reply
Thank you for the review. You look fabulous BTW!
craftygamma said... (2/20/11 6:41 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I really like your top & am sorry you had an issue with the modesty panel. I just had a terrible time with the modesty panel on a little girl's top. I re-did it 3 times. It is McCalls 5917, but I did not review it yet. Amazingly I was thinking of doing it like your Jalie pattern to go all the way across, but I gues that would not have worked either.

by: LizzyM