Online Sewing Class: Clone Your Favorite Garment

Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2921 (Scarf-Collar Tops)

Reviewed by:MNBarb

Sweater knit fabrics

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

Scheri said... (4/3/11 0:26 AM) Reply
Thank you for the review. So many details will help us all. I think the fabric is so nice and the top looks pretty on you. Fitting is always a pain.
linda 75142 said... (4/2/11 8:42 PM) Reply
I, too, like Jalie, BUT always have to go to larger sizes so I don't look like something stuffed in a sausage casing!
SewWil said... (4/2/11 11:36 AM) Reply
Very pretty top!
Kim12469 said... (4/2/11 7:45 AM) Reply
So fun! I think it looks great on you. I like this top a bit closer fitting.
Peggy L said... (4/2/11 7:30 AM) Reply
Very pretty!! I do the same with Jalie - size up as they are too close fitting for my body shape.
dingyadi said... (4/1/11 11:42 PM) Reply
Such a lovely top! I've never tried a Jalie pattern but this top is terrific. Thanks for the alert about sizing.
21wale said... (4/1/11 11:13 PM) Reply
This is such a fun top - you're teasing spring with a short sleeve version! Did you do the same forward shoulder alteration on the 2nd version? I do a FS and sometimes pinch out a wedge (tapering from armscye to nothing at the neck) in the front because there is a sort of hollow formed by the shoulder. So if you add space in the back, you take out corresponding space in the front. But I have no definitive advice since I'm still tweaking my alterations.
JETrinity said... (3/13/11 2:27 PM) Reply
Since I have never sewn a Jalie pattern, since I have ordered on line so many buckles for my Butterick 5484 pattern, and since I love this pattern, I better go out and buy the pattern with all your tips in my head.
CherylStillSews said... (2/27/11 1:57 AM) Reply
Who notices any problems - that colour is simply gorgeous! Well done.
mhk3boys said... (2/24/11 4:23 PM) Reply
Your top looks great! Is your upper back, not shoulders, too tight? Maybe you need a little bit added for a broad back?
JDpenelope said... (2/22/11 7:44 AM) Reply
The top is beautiful and the fit is almost right. Thanks for sharing your details, because I am going through similar fitting issues. As has been mentioned, it looks like the fit in the shoulders is tight, but the rest looks very good.
FreyaStark said... (2/22/11 3:40 AM) Reply
A very nice garment. Perhaps the next one could be a size bigger in the top. Thanks for the comment on Jalie sizing. That's the sort of thing you often have to learn from experience.
Mushywear said... (2/22/11 1:00 AM) Reply
So pretty! I can't wait to make this top. I am so glad to see this on you! Good to hear it was easy as well. I love the color of your velour. I agree, you may want to go up a size to help those wrinkles under the arms. I will keep sizing in mind when I make it up, so thanks for the tip!
BlueberryGal said... (2/21/11 5:14 PM) Reply
Thanks for sharing the link to Sherry's guide. I just realized that I too have these issues and now have many ideas on how to address them. Your top looks good on you.
cleverkitty said... (2/21/11 4:38 PM) Reply
interesting reading on Sherry's method, I bought a whole bolt of pattern tracing material to really work on fit this year more then ever. The plum color is a beauty. Fitting is a challenge, sewing is the easy part.
SewWil said... (2/21/11 3:17 PM) Reply
Very nice top. Great color. I have this pattern but have yet to make it. Thanks for the heads-up regarding the sizing.
Knitz said... (2/21/11 1:57 PM) Reply
Very nice -- good luck with working out a good shoulder fit -- lovely color and looks so cozy.
JillyBe said... (2/21/11 1:34 PM) Reply
Thanks for all your comments about Jalie & sizing; I'm finding similar issues ... I think that some of the Jalie patterns are so close fitting that they end up turning into excellent teachers about our particular fit issues! The top does look great on you though!
persevering said... (2/21/11 1:25 PM) Reply
Thanks for posting...I don't know anything about fitting and I'm always reading to learn for when I do sew :) ... and I'm thinking a size bigger like you suggest could make all the difference in a better fit .... and wouldn't it be simpler, than other adjustments? and worth a try, since the result would be a very wearable garment too ... Yes, this does look really nice as is!
Ann Smith said... (2/21/11 1:15 PM) Reply
Pretty color and pretty top. Looking at your back shoulder view I think maybe one size bigger there would help.
crazygrad said... (2/21/11 12:25 PM) Reply
Pretty! I think the back wrinkles near the butt look like it just needs pulled down (it looks uneven over the rear end). I agree that you might need a bigger size at the shoulders though. Still, looks really nice on you!

Understanding Knit Fabrics