Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8581 (MISSES' TUNIC)

Reviewed by:gooner

About goonerstar
WI USA
Member since: 10/8/09
Posted on:2/22/11 6:10 PM
Last Updated:2/23/11 1:57 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
Christas said... (2/26/11 11:18 AM) Reply
Very pretty! All three versions look very nice!
lesliez said... (2/25/11 2:18 PM) Reply
I keep looking at this pattern, undecided until I saw yours. I love that you made it with a rayon woven. It looks terrific.
gooner said... (2/24/11 12:59 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for all the feedback! DebbieB, for the ruffle I cut a length of fabric about 3" wide. The length is completely variable depending on how tight you want the gathers and how long you want the finished ruffle to be. Finished length for me was 12" and I think I started with about 22" of fabric. After cutting, I used the rolled hem foot on my machine (could also use serger) to finish the long edges, then turned the edges under on the short sides also. I stitched down the middle of the panel with a long basting stitch and then pulled the bobbin thread to gather it up. Adjusted the gathers, pinned to the top and sewed it down the middle, then removed basting stitches. I also tacked the upper edges of the ruffle to the neckline since they kind of flopped forward. Hope this helps!
debbieB said... (2/24/11 11:22 AM) Reply
Beautiful! I have this pattern,have to try it now.Could you explain how you made the ruffle?
Lori V said... (2/23/11 5:57 PM) Reply
Fantastic tops, the ruffle is so cute on the last top.
gooner said... (2/23/11 3:57 PM) Reply
Thank you so much, everyone! After getting so much help from reading reviews on PR, I'm just starting to write my own. And since none of my friends sew, it's great to get feedback from other sewists!
SewWil said... (2/23/11 3:53 PM) Reply
Very nice top. Love the ruffle.
kim*brown said... (2/23/11 3:38 PM) Reply
Super cute!
sewtime said... (2/23/11 2:30 PM) Reply
What a cute top, love it!!!
sewinfrance said... (2/23/11 2:20 PM) Reply
Your top looks very nice. The elastic in a casing idea was a good one--I HATE doing gathers, it's hard to get them to look nice.
cleverkitty said... (2/23/11 2:17 PM) Reply
I like your idea of the elastic casing this looks real nice and also a good pattern for jersey fabric that is hard to work with but great to wear. The color is deep and rich, beautiful.
beth5646 said... (2/23/11 0:17 AM) Reply
Very nice top. Looks good on you. I love the ruffles on the front. thanks for the review.

Understanding Wool Fabrics