Pattern Reviews> Sewing Workshop> Oasis Skirt (Oasis Skirt)

Viewed 1910 times
Reviewed by:Lisa Laree

About Lisa Lareestarstarstarstar
AL USA
Posted on:7/17/04 8:53 PM
Last Updated:5/6/05 10:34 AM

See other patterns in this category: Plus

Gigi Louis said... (5/7/05 11:27 AM) Reply
What a great skirt!
Lisa Laree said... (5/7/05 8:45 AM) Reply
Well, Mariella, the next one ought to be a snap! This is a fun summery skirt...
Mariella said... (5/7/05 8:27 AM) Reply
Lisa, I bought this pattern based on your original review and photo. I just finished my first one a few weeks ago and made every stupid mistake in the book (like missing the part where you sew the side seam...I had already hemmed the skirt when I finally realized that the side seam was one of the first steps!) I really love the look of this skirt - as you say, "Fun, Fast (except for my stupid errors) and Funky". I plan to make one or 2 more of these to wear for summer. Thanks for turning me on to this skirt!
Izzie said... (5/6/05 10:54 AM) Reply
Very cute skirts...you look so Springy!
Lisa Laree said... (5/6/05 10:39 AM) Reply
I just noticed that in the photos the placket is on opposite sides of the skirt...I I just pulled the green skirt out and looked again...I (gulp) have it on backwards in the photo! :eek: Well, you get the idea... :rolleyes:
Hilary said... (7/18/04 6:39 PM) Reply
Thanks Lisa! I'll go hunting for them :o)
Danvillegirl said... (7/18/04 4:29 PM) Reply
The placket looks very nice with this skirt. I have stayed away from this pattern because of it. Your skirt looks nice with it.
Lisa Laree said... (7/18/04 1:57 PM) Reply
Thanks, ladies! Diane, I agree, there's rarely enough of the three 'F's to go around (although ya gotta watch the interpretation of 'fast'...). Hilary, the sandals are White Mountains that I picked up at a Shoe Carnival sale...they're actually blue, but it's a very dark blue and, depending on what I'm doing, I have passed them off as black a couple of times...
PVA said... (7/18/04 12:02 PM) Reply
Great review, Lisa. SW should start giving you a commission. I too wouldn't have given this pattern a second thought. BUT, I have really looked over both your photo and the pattern photo, and I believe this is one of those "3-F" projects that could be "for all ages"! Being over 70 and still counting, I do believe it could work for me, too! Onto the wish list it goes!
Diane E said... (7/18/04 10:59 AM) Reply
Lisa, your skirt is so pretty! After having concluded that SW patterns are just too boxy and oversized for me, I may have to backtrack and check this one out. It looks nicely fitted, and I love the idea of your "three Fs." We can't have enough of the "three Fs" in our lives!
Hilary said... (7/18/04 10:17 AM) Reply
I love your skirt!! Very nice, the pattern pic doesn't come close-yours is much prettier! BTW, where did you get those sandals? They are too cute, I think I need some :oP And maybe this pattern too :p Thanks! Great review.
Annette H said... (7/18/04 9:57 AM) Reply
Brilliant fit. I have never tried Sewing Workshop - this could be my first pattern from SW. Thanks for the review.
mamafitz said... (7/18/04 8:03 AM) Reply
i just saw this skirt made up last week by a friend of mine -- it's a fabulous skirt, and you're right, normally one would just skip over the pattern. she too used the elastic application for the brussels skirt instead.
JDpenelope said... (7/18/04 7:40 AM) Reply
Your skirt in this fabric is slimming and cute. Good idea to use the steam a seam on the placket. I like your tip about basting the elastic, and use it, esp in tight places--I use my sm with feed dogs lowered, or sew vertically at the qtr marks.
Mariella said... (7/18/04 7:22 AM) Reply
Lisa, I absolutely LOVE this skirt on you. You're right - it's just this neat combination of funky, "different" and still practical. I am so tempted to try this pattern and a few other Sewing Workshop ones but being in Canada, by the time we pay the exchange, shipping, duty and TWO levels of taxes, the pattern costs almost twice the price you pay in the US, so if you think the pattern was costly, imagine what it's like up here! But I really love how this skirt looks on you and I'm very tempted to ask for this pattern and a few others that can't be purchased here for my birthday.
Oopsy-Daisy! said... (7/17/04 8:59 PM) Reply
Lisa, your skirt looks terrific and your placket very perky! Great job!

Christine Jonson Keyhole Top & Pants for Wovens