Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 11-2010-104 (Orient Exp/Magic of Ireland)

Reviewed by:Terri A

About Terri Astarstarstarstar
Member since: 1/16/08

Posted on:2/28/11 5:55 PM
Last Updated:3/28/11 4:10 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 13 people

PJH said... (3/28/11 11:31 PM) Reply
The skirt is great! Yours looks much better than the magazine versions.
Anne Cherry said... (3/28/11 5:46 PM) Reply
I've been eyeing this skirt off since I saw it in Burda. I agree, it is a weird but strangely compelling design. Now, thanks to you, I am going to give it a shot! Your colour combinations are great - the mini-wardrobe really works - and you've done a great photoshoot!
lynnewill said... (3/25/11 8:56 AM) Reply
I love this skirt!!
Terri A said... (3/4/11 6:26 PM) Reply
Thanks and I appreciate all the styling tips:-)
mad stash said... (3/4/11 1:01 PM) Reply
It might be wacky but it sure ain't crazy.... I think it looks great on you! In my opinion, it would look best styled with a minimalist outfit, either monochromatic black (or cream) turtleneck, tights, boots, and maybe a red scarf tied around the neck for a pop of color. The cut of the skirt seems almost architectural - maybe that's why it reminds me of something a NYC architect would wear to meet with a client to unveil their latest plans.
dingyadi said... (3/4/11 7:42 AM) Reply
It's fabulous!
Ann Smith said... (3/4/11 1:10 AM) Reply
The styling makes it work. Wear it!
AnneMarie60 said... (3/3/11 10:50 PM) Reply
Lovely skirt. The soft folds and interesting shape work well with your fluid fabric. Your adventurous foray paid off!
jannw said... (3/3/11 7:27 PM) Reply
That looks great on you..and isn't that why we sew..to have something unique?
2takeKate said... (3/3/11 7:25 PM) Reply
Yeah! Wear it with your cool boots and The Look ;-) Your fabric actually drapes pretty well in this style; the bulky version definitely makes me laugh.
Terri A said... (3/3/11 6:46 PM) Reply
Thank you all so much! I am emboldened to wear this now. Haha :-)
nicegirl said... (3/3/11 6:40 PM) Reply
See, I think it's cool on. Think Leane on Project Runway. Work it!
MamaSewing said... (3/3/11 6:32 PM) Reply
Wow, what a great skirt - and who would have known except that you made it for us to see! I like your version much better than the one in the magazine!
Christas said... (3/3/11 6:20 PM) Reply
Actually the skirt looks cute the way you have it styled! Thanks for posting pics of you in it.
hmacski said... (3/3/11 6:17 PM) Reply
I like it. I think it's interesting and much more flattering than I think most of us thought it would be. Thanks for posting the photos of yourself wearing this skirt. Helen
nicegirl said... (3/2/11 10:28 AM) Reply
Totally love! Can't wait to see it on you.
Kat B. said... (3/2/11 8:27 AM) Reply
I love, love, love that you took a pattern that looked so silly in the magazine and made it up! I actually like your version and can't wait to see a pic with you wearing it!
bell N said... (3/2/11 7:52 AM) Reply
It looks nice on the hanger. I'd love to see how it looks on you.
dingyadi said... (3/2/11 5:59 AM) Reply
I love it! It is such an interesting shape and great colour but yes, looks somewhat difficult to wear. Looking forward to seeing it on.
Terri A said... (3/2/11 1:41 AM) Reply
Oh nooo no no... Thx for the compliments but - you will get a good chuckle perhaps when you see me in it. :-) thx tho :-)
Christas said... (3/2/11 0:54 AM) Reply
Can't wait to see it on you! Love the color. The shape has grown on me. Thanks for reviewing this unusual skirt!
Heatherrique said... (3/1/11 9:32 PM) Reply
Terri, I cannot to wait to see you model the skirt. The color and details look avant garde.
Morisot said... (3/1/11 9:16 PM) Reply
You look as pretty as the model--and a lot like her!
annie11 said... (3/1/11 9:02 PM) Reply
This looks really lovely! I am looking forward to seeing it on you. Great job, as usual!
MaryDB said... (3/1/11 8:41 PM) Reply
The first think I thought when I saw this in the gallery was "wow, what an attractive skirt!". I really like it, although I could never wear it in a million years. You go! Nice work.
Terri A said... (3/1/11 8:40 PM) Reply
Thx everyone you are all too nice. I still haven't had the chance to get photos. Thank you Morisot... umm I would love to take credit, but that's a professional model in the bulky wool version. It is the photo in the magazine and online in the Magic of Ireland collection. I would love to look like her but alas I am a 41 yr old mom... not a 25 yr old model (sigh)... but thanks for the nice comment and I really do appreciate the feedback especially on something this daring. It is a love it or hate it pattern I think:-)
Morisot said... (3/1/11 8:14 PM) Reply
This gold skirt looks gorgeous! I love the "bulky wool" one too--you look fabulous in it. These are the neat (daring) things about sewing.
AquariJenn said... (3/1/11 4:20 PM) Reply
pretty skirt
petro said... (3/1/11 3:52 PM) Reply
I really like this, if only I could shift some waistline excess, I'd make it. Thanks for including pictures of the pattern pieces in the review, this is really helpful.
VtMartha said... (3/1/11 1:25 PM) Reply
Thanks for bringing my attention to this pattern. I love it's 'unusualness'. Looking forward to seeing it on you.
JillyBe said... (3/1/11 12:34 PM) Reply
I would not have called this pattern 'ugly'....'odd', yes lol, but it truly looks like you made a beautiful piece! Add me to the list of folks who can't wait to see it on you!
Dale C said... (3/1/11 12:18 PM) Reply
I think it's pretty cool, though I'd never wear it.. It probably takes a tall slim figure to look good in that skirt. THanks for the picture of the pattern pieces, they're inspiring.
Aroura said... (3/1/11 11:04 AM) Reply
I like it! The color is gorgeous, love the "pockets" :) It is very unusual, and you did a great job making it very wearable looking!
hmacski said... (3/1/11 6:58 AM) Reply
thank you for an informative and entertaining review. I get your aversion/attraction to this skirt. It's kind of irresistable in an odd way. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of you wearing it. Good for you for taking a fashion risk! Helen
UrbanSeamstress said... (3/1/11 3:04 AM) Reply
Same here: laughed out loud when I first saw this pattern, but it kept nagging me in the back of my mind, "what if, what if" :) Your version looks very promising! Would love to see it ON you, but it seems it will be a fun and surprise addition to your wardrobe!
Terri A said... (3/1/11 0:47 AM) Reply
I know sewingelle. Haha you are sooo right! I agree it probably isn't super flattering on any but the thinnest model, but it is interesting when you make up a pattern you get a glimpse into the mind of the designer. I wanted to make it more or less just to check it out. The bulky fabrics I think are a no - but thinner fabric prbly not so bad. I will get photos when I get the chance. Tracing like mad for my upcoming projects, and awaiting sun and a camera. It has been in the twenties and thirties here, cold and grey.
Sewingelle said... (2/28/11 9:41 PM) Reply
We have to see a photo of it on you! Thank you for making up and reviewing the kookiest pattern from Burda for a long time!! I'm strangely drawn to this pattern too. But what would those cones would do to my "pot" belly? It couldn't be good!
Terri A said... (2/28/11 7:04 PM) Reply
I will I will - I gotta get the stuff together and draft a kid to photograph me etc... I have been sewing til I can't MOVE!
Seaspur said... (2/28/11 7:00 PM) Reply
Well, I really like it. Would love to see a picture of you wearing it.

by: Annette1