Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias

Pattern Reviews> Ottobre Woman Magazine> 02-2011-9 (Perugia Blouse)

Reviewed by:Christas

About Christasstarstarstarstar
OK USA
Member since: 3/16/06
Posted on:3/6/11 5:28 PM
Last Updated:3/7/11 0:06 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 22 people
blue mooney said... (5/16/11 8:19 PM) Reply
I missed this when you reviewed - this is such a pretty pattern and a good use for a tablecloth!! You look lovely, as always.
Mufffet said... (3/17/11 4:53 PM) Reply
Beautiful blouse and looks so nice on you! I am glad to see this made up by a PR member, since it looks interesting. I would want sleeves though. Also, thanks so much for the tutorial. :)
gatorgirl4325 said... (3/9/11 11:18 AM) Reply
I loved that blouse from the minute I saw it on the cover of Ottobre too!! Your version is stunning and you are beautiful in it. :) Thanks for the Threads link - totally forgot about that trick!
Mahogany Stylist said... (3/8/11 1:22 PM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful.
QuiltSewSewSue said... (3/8/11 0:34 AM) Reply
Lovely top - you were very quick to get this made up!
cabrewer82 said... (3/7/11 7:29 PM) Reply
I googled this "bobbin" technique and found the same article you recently posted. How interesting! I can't wait to try it! As for the top, I'm such a sucker for bows! And with that lovely skirt you made, the outfit is so classy! I love it!
VirginiasDghter said... (3/7/11 12:56 PM) Reply
Gorgeous transformation from tablecloth to top! So cool and classy looking! Nice work!
DorothyK said... (3/7/11 12:39 PM) Reply
Beautiful blouse. I've got to look at my tablecloths! Thanks for a great review.
callmeRuth said... (3/7/11 11:13 AM) Reply
That fabric looks much better as a blouse than a tablecloth. It's beautiful. Thanks for the review. I hope to make this pattern someday.
JanJanB said... (3/7/11 11:04 AM) Reply
Gorgeous blouse. You do such beautiful work.
Barbara V said... (3/7/11 10:12 AM) Reply
Well, how beautiful is your outfit with your pretty new blouse! And to think it started out as a table cloth? What good vision on your part to see this blouse as the perfect garment made up with the fabric. Thank you for including the fascinating tutorial on using bobbin thread. I do want to use that method sometime. Oh, and tell your Mom - good job on choosing such fashionable shoes for you. Those are really pretty!
cindyann said... (3/7/11 9:58 AM) Reply
Love work! Quite the elegant outfit.
otterine said... (3/7/11 9:42 AM) Reply
Beautiful work! I love the color and pattern. And, excellent tip...thank you so much for sharing!
MelissaB in WA said... (3/7/11 9:37 AM) Reply
I want to make that blouse too! Yours is gorgeous and I can't believe it was a tablecloth! Just goes to show we can find fabric in lots of places.
sewtime said... (3/7/11 9:25 AM) Reply
Beautiful top!!
MNBarb said... (3/7/11 7:43 AM) Reply
Very nice blouse. The color looks so good on you. Not only do you find time to sew with nice children but you find time to sew beautifully. You have me convinced that I need to try Ottobre.
Paris75008 said... (3/7/11 7:34 AM) Reply
Wow that blouse is gorgeous. The style really suits you and I love the look you put together. The review is very helpful. Great tutorial link, thanks!
FreyaStark said... (3/7/11 1:49 AM) Reply
A lovely blouse.
Sherril Miller said... (3/7/11 1:40 AM) Reply
Thanks for the tutorial on bobbin thread stitching. I had to do it when I was taking the Fashion Program in college, but I haven't done it since. I'm not sure why since it works so great. I'm definitely going to try it on my next dart or pleat.
LynneMR said... (3/7/11 0:56 AM) Reply
That is such a nice top! Also, I loved the tutorial - I had never seen that technique before - you learn something new each day!
Raye Ann said... (3/7/11 0:38 AM) Reply
Beautiful job on your blouse! Thanks so much for the link about sewing with the bobbin thread. I can't wait to try it!
AnneMarie60 said... (3/6/11 11:33 PM) Reply
I love the Asian-inspired styling of this blouse. At least it looks that way to me. Such pretty fabric.
mesewlot said... (3/6/11 11:30 PM) Reply
Very nicely done! I love the color and fabric... your review was worth reading~ thanks!
carolynw said... (3/6/11 10:28 PM) Reply
Lovely - Christa you always make such lovely clothes and this one sure is a winner too. I swear I am gonna steal your wardrobe one day
Annette1 said... (3/6/11 9:45 PM) Reply
OF COURSE, I noticed the shoes RIGHT OFF! :o) I still think you need som BPG shoes, too!
JillyBe said... (3/6/11 9:40 PM) Reply
LOVE that fabric!! No way is it a tablecloth! ;D I admit I am so not a bow person, but you have made a bow look great. And thank you for the reminder on the darts threading....I do need to try that - the next time I want to make a blouse that looks as nice as your work always does :)
Andrea670 said... (3/6/11 9:31 PM) Reply
Christas, Your top is just gorgeous, and knowing that it was originally a tablecloth makes it even more amazing. You did a beautiful job on the finishing of this blouse. It looks good inside and out. Thanks for the tip on the darts. I have heard of that technique once before, but have not tried it yet. I think I see it in my future. Also, thank you so much for the comment you left me on my DKNY dress.
dingyadi said... (3/6/11 9:29 PM) Reply
Beautiful blouse! I can't believe it was tablecloth fabric - much better as a blouse.
Sherril Miller said... (3/6/11 8:49 PM) Reply
Christa, it's so pretty! I'm so glad that I just placed an order for this issue from Amazon.com.
Heatherrique said... (3/6/11 8:40 PM) Reply
You are SEW BOW-tiful, Christa! I adore this look on you! Thank you for a very nice review.
persevering said... (3/6/11 8:12 PM) Reply
How elegant you look! (I don't comment often on your postings as others say it so well, however I love seeing everything you post - you are inspiring and the clothes you sew are beautiful and beautifully made too!)
Christas said... (3/6/11 8:11 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for all the nice comments! RadarRadiance, yes, my darts were pressed UP..... unintentionally! I didn't catch my error until it was too late to fix it (I would have been doing a lot of "unsewing"!). I will try to find a link with "one thread bobbin darts" to add to this review if possible so that you can see what I mean. It really does make such nice darts to use this method - even when the seamstress accidentally presses the dart up instead of down! :-)
pterion said... (3/6/11 8:06 PM) Reply
What a lovely blouse. The whole outfit is very flattering!
cleverkitty said... (3/6/11 7:54 PM) Reply
oh my as soon I read tablecloth it was da ja voo, I use to do that too. This is better then the cover photo. Very beautiful color and yes this is damask, I use to collect cloth napkins :) Very creative!!!
RadarRadiance said... (3/6/11 7:44 PM) Reply
The fabric and color are beautiful along with the blouse. I don't understand the bust dart with just a bobbin thread, something I'm not getting....I also hate those pointy things! On the inside picture of the dart did you press it up? I must be seeing something wrong, but .... it does look perfect on!
Catbird said... (3/6/11 7:28 PM) Reply
This is so pretty! The color and fit are gorgeous and the construction looks perfect inside and out. That dart technique is news to me, so thank you for that! It seems to me that you could use this for a fitting shell to check the fit of other patterns. It is perfect on you!
Karendee said... (3/6/11 6:21 PM) Reply
Gorgeous outfit complete with new skirt and cheetah shoes. You just look like a princess in this beautiful ensemble. Great job with everything.
Peggy L said... (3/6/11 6:09 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! It is hard to believe that was ever a tablecloth. You are so fast these days. It looks great with your new skirt (and your cheetah shoes).
Ericaeli said... (3/6/11 6:09 PM) Reply
this is such a pretty blouse. I didn't really like the look of it in the magazine, but your version is so nice that I have changed my mind. It looks lovely on you too.
Christas said... (3/6/11 6:04 PM) Reply
Thanks for the nice comments! Annette, did you see my jaguar (cheetah?) shoes?!!! Those are a birthday gift from my mom! :-)
SewWil said... (3/6/11 6:03 PM) Reply
GORGEOUS blouse!!! Good for you for having the idea of making a blouse with this fabric. It turned out great and looks wonderful on you. I like it with the belt and skirt. Nice outfit.
Annette1 said... (3/6/11 6:00 PM) Reply
What a GORGEOUS outfit, Christa! Seems like in the photo on the Ottobre magazine, I couldn't SEE the blouse very well, because of the print, but your fabric shows it off beautifully. This is definitely another one of YOUR colors! :o) How come you don't have any SHOES in this color? Heh-heh-heh.
Nan Kay said... (3/6/11 5:58 PM) Reply
Absolutely stunning! A tablecloth?????Wow.

by: pegsewer