Online Sewing Class: More Knits

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 2311 (Misses' & Miss Petite Coats)

Review submitted in Lined Jacket Contest
Reviewed by:snuzal

About snuzalstar
NA NEW ZEALAND
Member since: 7/7/07
Posted on:3/9/11 2:17 AM
Last Updated:3/9/11 3:12 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 15 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

Sweater knit fabrics

VelmaVance said... (5/14/11 2:01 PM) Reply
I really like the proportions on this coat; it really suits you. Well done!
Margaret said... (5/14/11 5:35 AM) Reply
Nicely done! I love the dramatic collar, lining, and wide front facings. Looks great on you!
snuzal said... (5/10/11 11:03 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone! We've had some warmer weather here the past few weeks, so haven't worn it. But todays been on the cooler side, so threw it on and I must've lost a bit of weight, it seems a wee bit loose on me now *sobs* but still looks fab. It's such a comfortable jacket.
sewmytime said... (5/10/11 6:11 AM) Reply
fantastic work!
GinormicaMG said... (5/9/11 4:00 PM) Reply
Love this style! Stylish and yet causual enought to dress up or down. Nice job.
Kayseri said... (5/8/11 0:20 AM) Reply
I love this coat. Great match of fabric to pattern and it looks terrific on you.
bananaoil said... (5/6/11 1:45 PM) Reply
Looks great on you, love the lining. Go ahead and make it again but check out another source for construction, maybe from another pattern, or reorder the instructions from this pattern. Most tops go together pretty much the same way. From here I don't see why this one shouldn't follow a typical shawl collar construction plan. When you've done the work to make a pattern fit, get the most out of it.
JudyP said... (5/6/11 7:02 AM) Reply
Tres chic! wonderful job! Your coat looks great on you!
helenkosings said... (5/5/11 5:12 PM) Reply
This turned out really well. It looks great on you!
Aroura said... (5/1/11 3:17 PM) Reply
Great looking coat, love the collar! I think you did fantastic on the fit, and it looks very very wearable.
manola6176 said... (5/1/11 5:39 AM) Reply
Very nice. The fabric is so classy. Very good choice for the flashing lining.
barebear said... (4/29/11 6:06 PM) Reply
Aw, I remember seeing this when you first posted it on your blog, and I still love it. Looks so good on you! Congrats on a fab jacket! (I feel your pain about the fba's, though. The one I tried doing wound up to be too much too. I think there's a secret trick I haven't figured out yet!)
helenkosings said... (4/5/11 0:01 AM) Reply
Terrific. And it suits you very well.
lucylal said... (3/26/11 11:23 PM) Reply
Great coat!! The fit looks fabulous! Love the sun shot too!!
Woolygal said... (3/10/11 9:05 AM) Reply
Don't be too critical. The coat is very nicely done. I really like your fabric.
becca a said... (3/10/11 7:55 AM) Reply
What a lovely coat! I love the tone on tone houndstooth fabric. Your garden is beautiful, and looks magical with the sun streaming down.
cleverkitty said... (3/9/11 4:52 PM) Reply
looks great on you
Lori V said... (3/9/11 2:56 PM) Reply
Wonderful coat
SewWil said... (3/9/11 2:00 PM) Reply
Great coat!!! Good fit. Looks very nice on you.
sewing addict said... (3/9/11 1:51 PM) Reply
Great looking coat. Well done.
AdaH said... (3/9/11 1:17 PM) Reply
great fitting coat. congrats on your first FBA. PBS...never heard that before, but have had it.
snuzal said... (3/9/11 1:13 PM) Reply
Thank you everyone for the kind comments. Good to know it's the Project Runway patterns, will veer away from them next time. Showed the pattern instructions to someone while in the process, I laughed when she said "project runaway", it was just what I wanted to do at that step too! LOL. I'll look at getting a jacket book too, I do enjoy making coats, and I love the idea of making a new one each year for myself. And will check lowering the bust point on the pattern and see if that helps too. Thanks!
JTink said... (3/9/11 12:32 PM) Reply
Beautiful coat. I had the Puffy Breast Syndrome for a while and kept pinning and stitching it out, until one day, it dawned on me that my bust point was lower than the pattern's. Just for kicks, lower your bust point before you do your next FBA and then do the FBA. Might get rid of the PBS.
sunnysewer said... (3/9/11 12:04 PM) Reply
wow, fantastic coat. great job on the alterations, love the fabric and looks very chic on you.
cindyann said... (3/9/11 10:09 AM) Reply
Nice work!
Sherril Miller said... (3/9/11 9:43 AM) Reply
Snuzel it would be such a shame not to make it again with the alterations nearly perfect. I mean this fits great and I'm a stickler for fit. If you make it again, it will be much easier since you've already done it once, you might not even need to consult the instructions so much. Also, why don't you get a really good reference book on lined jackets and just follow that instead? This coat looks great from the front and back, something you probably couldn't find in ready-to-wear.
sewtime said... (3/9/11 9:24 AM) Reply
Love your coat!
fourkid said... (3/9/11 8:55 AM) Reply
What a lovely coat - and you got a great fit. It looks very nice. Love the fabric - and your garden!
DreinPA said... (3/9/11 8:19 AM) Reply
It's not Simplicity in general; its those stupid Project Runway patterns. So many options they have you back and forth with yardage and directions. Fabulous fabric and the FBA looks right on track.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (3/9/11 7:28 AM) Reply
Wonderful coat. I love the textured fabric. Congratulations on your first FBA. It won't take hours the next time.
Ecrulace said... (3/9/11 7:18 AM) Reply
Well done - love the lining!
Scheryka said... (3/9/11 6:30 AM) Reply
Snuzel, you always do great items. Your coats are always cute and snazzy. This one is no different. Great job.
no7262 said... (3/9/11 6:29 AM) Reply
Love it! You did a great job! My fav pic is the one with the sun! Nora :)

SewBaby Mitten Wraps and One Piece Hat Pattern