Online Sewing Class: Sewing Basics

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5311 (OOP NY NY Collection Dress)

Reviewed by:Barbara V

About Barbara Vstarstarstarstar
Posted on:3/10/11 10:27 AM
Last Updated:3/10/11 10:57 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 21 people

Sweater knit fabrics

Fildesoie said... (9/7/14 8:51 AM) Reply
Tr�s belle photo, beau tissu, belle r�ussite... Bravo! I love this dress on you, nice fabric, color and style
waltzqueen said... (8/8/11 6:33 PM) Reply
This is a stunning dress! You look like you just walked down the runway. The linen is perfect and your sewing is couture to be sure!! You look classic, chic, cool and comfortable. Sensational!!!!
Annette1 said... (3/31/11 6:15 PM) Reply
WOWEE! This is SOOOOOOOOOOO nice, so well tailored and so flattering, all in one. :o) I can't believe I don't remember this pattern, because the McCall's NY patterns were among my FAVORITES.
Ann Smith said... (3/15/11 3:53 PM) Reply
This is a perfect look for you. I love the belt and buttons you chose. I think my dress is still here somewhere as I loved it and couldn't ever part with it. Almost the same color as your new one.
MNBarb said... (3/13/11 5:15 PM) Reply
Beautiful!
Heatherrique said... (3/13/11 12:11 PM) Reply
Oooooooh la la! You mean your beautiful dress came from a pattern that was originally issued two decades ago? I am glad that you kept it and took the opportunity to use it again. You look fresh, modern, and runway ready!
CynthiaSue said... (3/13/11 0:50 AM) Reply
timeless, elegant and impeccably styled.
MichelleE said... (3/12/11 0:28 AM) Reply
I loved those NY NY patterns, still have some in my stash. They are so stylish and timeless, as is this dress! Looks great on you!
Diane333 said... (3/11/11 10:57 PM) Reply
Love the unusual collar and how you accessorized your dress. It really looks current and beautiful.
AdaH said... (3/11/11 10:40 PM) Reply
You look wonderful in this dress. I love all the extra details of the design.
Catbird said... (3/11/11 8:43 PM) Reply
Another WOW to add to the chorus of wows. This looks amazing on you and your work is utterly perfect. I love that shot without the belt. Who cares about those little wrinkles -- you look like you stepped right off a movie set. Gorgeous!
Mazzygirl said... (3/11/11 8:00 PM) Reply
beautiful dress, beautifully sewn & looks stunning on you! if ever we needed justification for keeping all our old patterns, this is it! Marvellous result!
COS said... (3/11/11 6:32 PM) Reply
Amazing dress and it looks WONDERFUL on you!! I wish I could find this pattern somewhere!! Terrific job, terrific fit!! You did an outstanding job. Fab belt!
3kids1036 said... (3/11/11 4:33 PM) Reply
STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
janet said... (3/11/11 2:38 PM) Reply
SPECTACULAR!
nancyc said... (3/11/11 9:56 AM) Reply
Wow! Beautiful dress and flawless work! This dress looks perfect on you!
becca a said... (3/11/11 8:07 AM) Reply
This is such a gorgeous, classic dress! I love the double collar. Perfect match of fabric, pattern and accessories.
susiestitcher said... (3/11/11 7:25 AM) Reply
Simply beautiful! Everything you make is just gorgeous, both the sewing and the wearing! If you hadn't mentioned the pattern's age, I would never have known. The color looks amazing on you. I really like the side details and the squared armholes.
pdiddly said... (3/11/11 3:35 AM) Reply
looks wonderful and totally up-to-date despite being an old pattern - I keep all my old patterns and have used some v.old ones recently
Scheri said... (3/11/11 2:40 AM) Reply
What an absolutely gorgeous dress on you!
Christas said... (3/11/11 1:46 AM) Reply
Barbara, this dress is outstanding! The fabric, buttons, your wonderful sewing, and the way you have accessorized it are just perfect! I hate weird shaped pattern pieces and trying to figure out how to adjust things, but you obviously couldn't have adjusted things any better because the fit is so very nice on your dress.
SewWil said... (3/11/11 1:14 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress!!! Love that collar.
otterine said... (3/11/11 0:23 AM) Reply
This is marvelous! I love looking through old patterns and seeing what is still current. You've done a wonderful job.
sew2little said... (3/10/11 10:44 PM) Reply
Out of the park, my dear! Marci
carolynw said... (3/10/11 10:34 PM) Reply
Barbara it is beautiful in every way - as I told you before - I 'm going to steal your clothes girl!!
beginagain said... (3/10/11 10:04 PM) Reply
Wow! Great dress, love the collar.
solosmocker said... (3/10/11 9:43 PM) Reply
Wow! I have this pattern in my stash and will dig it out tomorrow. You look stunning in this dress. It's gorgeous.
Kii said... (3/10/11 8:46 PM) Reply
Very beautiful dress!!
lamstu said... (3/10/11 8:09 PM) Reply
As always, a fabulous garment! I love this style so much and the belt you chose pulls it all together. Funny, I was just thinking about a double collar for my next blouse.... Great to see I'm not the only one sewing my old patterns:)
Rhoda K said... (3/10/11 7:22 PM) Reply
Very stylish and looks so good on you. I love unusual designs like that. I was surprised to see it was a McCalls pattern.
Karendee said... (3/10/11 7:06 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress, Barbara!!
Lori V said... (3/10/11 6:08 PM) Reply
Fantastic dress.
Peggy L said... (3/10/11 6:04 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous!
trinicity said... (3/10/11 5:46 PM) Reply
I love it, this is such a beautiful dress, I love the color on you, just amazing
LynneMR said... (3/10/11 5:36 PM) Reply
Great dress! You have achieved a real couture finish - so elegant - it looks perfect on you. I love the details like the buttons you chose and the double collar.
Nan Kay said... (3/10/11 5:07 PM) Reply
Lovely dress, very classic and the color is wonderful on you. I really like the lapel treatment. Glad you decided to make it again!
FloraNature said... (3/10/11 4:56 PM) Reply
Oh, this is such a classy dress. Love it!
DorothyK said... (3/10/11 4:29 PM) Reply
What a fantastic dress. Keep the pattern - in another 20 years you just may want to make it again. It would be worth it. Beautiful job on an interesting piece.
mm said... (3/10/11 4:19 PM) Reply
What a lovely dress. Wonderful sewing and perfect fit. Keep the pattern - you never know!
Mahogany Stylist said... (3/10/11 4:02 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress. Crisp and polished.
birdmcfarland said... (3/10/11 3:36 PM) Reply
wow! You look like something out of a magazine - perfectly styled. Fantastic dress.
Red Curtain said... (3/10/11 1:58 PM) Reply
Beautiful tailoring. It looks very high end and very classy.
sfshaza said... (3/10/11 1:46 PM) Reply
Love that design and it's beautiful on you! Your workmanship is superb.
sewinfrance said... (3/10/11 1:36 PM) Reply
Wow, what a beautiful dress from such weird pattern pieces! What great work. Thanks for an interesting review.
Twinset said... (3/10/11 1:36 PM) Reply
I love that, what a stylish dress!! Thanks for reviewing it; I love those NY NY patterns, they were just great!
Enid E said... (3/10/11 12:52 PM) Reply
Very Nice! What a nice classic and chic style. I really like the belt and buttons, as they are very complimentary to the fabric and style of the dress. It looks great without the belt too, and you, as always, look fantastic in it....
RadarRadiance said... (3/10/11 12:45 PM) Reply
It looks great on you and I love the double collar! You better hang onto this pattern....you never know!!! haha
Phasionz by M said... (3/10/11 12:38 PM) Reply
I recently purchased this pattern on eBay and have it cut out and ready to sew! Thanks for the review!
JillyBe said... (3/10/11 12:31 PM) Reply
Perfect pairing of fabric & pattern - and you look gorgeous in it!
appleton78 said... (3/10/11 11:55 AM) Reply
Beautiful job! The fabric seems to have been made for this pattern. You look lovely in it as well. Thanks for the terrific review.
cleverkitty said... (3/10/11 11:44 AM) Reply
ahh the details on this dress makes for a well fitted and interesting garment that you just do not get in RTW I am so impressed with how you look in it, you made one fine dress Barbara
Ecrulace said... (3/10/11 11:43 AM) Reply
Love the colour and the fit! It's amazing that a 1991 design could be so timeless
Kat B. said... (3/10/11 11:42 AM) Reply
Great job! The belt really makes this dress current. I love the collar!
DoggyGirl said... (3/10/11 11:37 AM) Reply
I love this. The double collar, sides, and squarish armholes are incredibly chic. I've got to look for this pattern!
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (3/10/11 11:31 AM) Reply
Beautifully designed pattern that is so trendy 20 years later. Your fabric choice and styling are perfect and so sophisticated. This review if going in my favorites file for inspiration. Thanks for the review.
DD1104 said... (3/10/11 11:16 AM) Reply
That is a great dress!!! You styled it perfectly!!

More Knits