Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4059 (Renaissance Costumes)

Reviewed by:Debbie Cook

About Debbie Cookstarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/11/02

Posted on:3/13/11 9:53 PM
Last Updated:3/13/11 9:59 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 20 people
See other patterns in this category: Costumes

weekendstitch said... (1/20/14 12:20 PM) Reply
This looks fantastic! I dream of one day making something like this. Baby steps.
prettything said... (8/8/11 12:13 PM) Reply
looks great! Another way to wear the doublet is with sleeves attached but no arms through them. I see that all the time at fair. This would lend itself to that really well with the ties the way they are. How nice of you to do all that work for free! Even with the $200 price tag for materials, outfits like that cost upwards of $600 at fair - and that isn't custom fit or custom designed like this!
AnneM said... (6/21/11 5:40 PM) Reply
Love it! Very nice, he'll be the best dressed worker at the faire. I like that the pants pattern included the cod piece, which IS more period accurate for a well dressed man of the time (from what I've read; I'm no historical costume expert!). The sleeve / no sleeve option is really nice also (particularly on a really hot day.... ).
abbythomas said... (4/6/11 11:35 PM) Reply
What a fantastic costume! Thanks for all the details!
kkkkaty said... (3/24/11 7:33 PM) Reply
wow, beautiful
jeanyus said... (3/17/11 8:58 PM) Reply
Looks amazing! It's great to see a costume for an adult male. I have this pattern and was meaning to do it for my husband. I like your modifications and input, very helpful and inspiring, if I ever get around to doing it.
JudyP said... (3/16/11 7:31 AM) Reply
This is fantastic! I also followed your progress on your blog. This looks so good you will have to be careful that you aren't asked to sew more costumes! A lot of work, but a really great result!
Leda2 said... (3/15/11 11:10 AM) Reply
Well met mi'lady!! Huzzah!!!!
lakaribane said... (3/14/11 11:51 AM) Reply
I love it! Great work and he looks very dashing indeed!
Trephas2003 said... (3/14/11 9:28 AM) Reply
It looks great!
Passion4Sewing said... (3/14/11 8:48 AM) Reply
Awesome costume! Nice details.
brissie71 said... (3/14/11 6:57 AM) Reply
I also followed your progress with interest, not because I can EVER see myself sewing something like this, but because it just looked amazing. The model looks like a natural. Fabulous job and thanks for being so generous with your time and effort sharing all the glorious details.
fourkid said... (3/14/11 6:01 AM) Reply
Love it! I followed this on your blog and so admired your creativity and persistence. It turned out amazing.
Aroura said... (3/14/11 3:15 AM) Reply
Fantastic! I love this pattern, your details make it extra special.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (3/14/11 2:18 AM) Reply
Stunning! Weren't you worried he was going to get Taco Bell taco sauce on his brocade?
Irene said... (3/14/11 2:14 AM) Reply
How nice to have an occasion and "customer" that are worth the effort. You and he get to enjoy good vibes about this project. Fabulous outfit!
Aixoise said... (3/14/11 0:11 AM) Reply
What fun to read your review and see the costume on the dashing young Renaissance man. (Lucky him!) But Taco Bell? Spanish Renaissance? Mexican (did they have one?)? Lovely to see your work. Thanks for reviewing this pattern.
PVA said... (3/14/11 0:01 AM) Reply
Wow, that's a great project & as always, wonderful details in your review. I'm always amazed at your skills & talent. Your young friend truly looks the part, too. I love Ren Faire but haven't been to one in a very long time. Thanks for a great review.
SandyTaz said... (3/13/11 11:52 PM) Reply
Wow, this costume is AMAZING! So is your male model. Awesome choice of fabric and trim. Thank you for such a useful and inspiring review!
sewing for fun said... (3/13/11 11:03 PM) Reply
Spectacular costume! He is a very lucky man to have your talent to create this costume for him.
kwpanthermom said... (3/13/11 10:55 PM) Reply
Outstanding! I love the fabrics and detail, he looks DASHING!
dfr2010 said... (3/13/11 10:36 PM) Reply
That's understandable, Debbie. My friend the history professor saves on pattern expenses by volunteering to be my "guinea pig" for all the unisex costume patterns ... and even my attempts at drafting simple period tunics. Renn Faire garb is a LOT of fun ... but it also takes muslins, mockups, tests ... and practice! LOL
Debbie Cook said... (3/13/11 10:21 PM) Reply
I definitely agree about the shirt, but as you said, it is pretty much covered. And I really didn't want to add even more expense to his budget with another pattern purchase.
dfr2010 said... (3/13/11 10:16 PM) Reply
I had already admired the pics on your blog. Since you say you weren't going for historical accuracy ... should I mention the shirt is also from the "swashbuckler" period a century later? LOL Covered by the doublet though the visual effect is very elegant and courtly!

by: zoeope