Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1004 (Misses Fitting Shell size 20)

Reviewed by:Scheri

About Scheristar
Member since: 7/13/10
Posted on:3/15/11 9:49 AM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 2 people

pointpatou said... (7/8/15 2:57 PM) Reply
I haven't made this pattern yet (I own it), but I've worked on many iterations of muslins with a tutor. I understand the frustration. But the point is to keep working with the pattern until it fits, then it can be used as a jumping off point for other styles or can be used as a guide in modifying Vogue patterns.
cousue said... (7/1/11 2:52 PM) Reply
I believe "Fit for Real People" says that there isn't actually all that much difference in the fitting shells for the Big 4 companies.
lcdrbetty said... (3/15/11 11:32 AM) Reply
The best fitting guide I have used is Palmer Pletsch's book Fit For Real People. It's all about pattern size and pin fitting your pattern. Very helpful.
mollyshark said... (3/15/11 11:22 AM) Reply
Scheri, you're not tuning in on what everyone is saying I don't think and you may have the same issue. Is your bust across the FULL point 42 or across the HIGH BUST 42? Use HIGH bust and compare that to the pattern size. If your HIGH BUST if 42, a 20 is ok, but if it is your full bust, you are choosing too large of a size. It is waaay easier to let out waist and hips in a shirt/dress than to alter the shoulders, etc. Measure high bust, match that to the pattern bust, and THAT is the size to start with.
FloraNature said... (3/15/11 10:19 AM) Reply
First of all I would choose the fitting shell according to the company whose patterns you most use. Thus Vogue fitting shell for Vogue patterns. Theoretically, the alterations you make on the shell will be the same you make on the pattern. Secondly, the shell you have made looks to me to fit in places, but is loose in other places. You now have a choice of taking in the loose areas around sides and fiddling with the armhole and sleeves etc. If I were you I would choose a smaller size that fits the neckline, shoulders and high bust, then do a full bust adjustment. I draft my own fitting shell (bodice toile) and altering armholes and sleeves is very time-consuming.
Scheri said... (3/15/11 9:47 AM) Reply
I have decided to scrap the Vogue Fitting shell and will start on the McCalls size 20. My size is Bust 42, Waist 36, Hip after review of the pattern my measurements are exact for the bust and hips just 1" over on the waist. Wish me luck
JudyHan said... (3/15/11 9:38 AM) Reply
I am working on the same pattern!! I have taken measurements and started altering the pattern pieces. From the reviews, I am moving ahead with trepidation and no expectations. I think the McCalls pattern is more user friendly and plan on picking that up. I'm glad you posted this! Thanks!
becca a said... (3/15/11 8:38 AM) Reply
It looks like you chose a fitting shell that is too large for your dressform. I used the McCall's fitting shell because it is by Palmer/Pletsch and matches the alterations in Fit for Real People. After I began, I realized that I needed to select the size by high bust measurement and start with a smaller pattern size. It looks like your alterations will be simpler if you try again with a smaller fitting shell. The advantage of a fitting shell is that it doesn't have wearing ease.
christinawo said... (3/15/11 2:08 AM) Reply
It's hard to tell since the shell is not on you but rather on a dummy. But you may have picked the wrong size. Generally, selecting a size by the high bust measurement helps you fit through the chest and shoulders (difficult to alter), then you can adjust more easily for things like a prominent bust. In any case, you should get a fitting buddy and a good fitting and pattern alteration book. It's very hard to do by yourself. You might even consider having a dressmaker help you with fitting it on your body. Or perhaps taking a class on fitting. Most fitting patterns are pretty much the same (at least according to the Patti Palmer fitting book) so I don't think switching will help. But you may need to go down a size or even two! Good luck!
Elona said... (3/14/11 9:10 PM) Reply
How did you select the pattern size? It looks as though you started with one quite a bit too large. The armscye is too deep, the bust dart is too low, the shoulders are too broad, and the bust dimensions are waaay too big around.
Kat B. said... (3/14/11 8:49 PM) Reply
It looks to me like you could have maybe started with a smaller fitting shell. But, from what I can tell, it looks like you are taking fabric out in the correct places. Keep at it, it will get there!

Needle Nook Fabrics Bravo 2