Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1218 (Donna Karan Dress)

Reviewed by:Erica B.

About Erica B.starstarstarstar
AL
Member since: 6/6/06
Posted on:3/15/11 8:00 PM
Last Updated:3/16/11 12:54 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 30 people

jenleeC said... (6/25/11 8:03 AM) Reply
Thanks for the great alteration tips here and on your blog. I have already partly constructed this dress before reading the reviews (silly me) so I am just going to introduce a shoulder seam to take out the extra length.
mymehigan said... (3/22/11 11:12 AM) Reply
your dress compliments you, a great job! thanks for the tip on pattern piece 2.
4u2cme said... (3/18/11 1:10 PM) Reply
The color and the fit is just gorgeous on you. Another lovely dress in your wardrobe.
Dobedowawa said... (3/17/11 1:35 PM) Reply
Another gorgeous dress! I love this on you, and the colour ..... I have a question about the wired ribbon. I have looked everywhere, contacted Vogue and received a "search the net" answer, which I had done .. they are very annoying. But I can only find a very large roll (30+ yds). Did you use it, and where did you get it? Is it washable with the dress?
Wendy VanC said... (3/17/11 0:34 AM) Reply
LOL! I agree with you on the Vogue Pattern part. Your dress is beautiful. I was a bit sketchy about buying this pattern but after I read your review, I think I might get it!
loti said... (3/16/11 11:38 PM) Reply
Thank you for this review, it looks great on you!
PolishPoppy said... (3/16/11 8:59 PM) Reply
Please move next door to me! I just love it!
imsewcrazy said... (3/16/11 8:19 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress. The color is great and the dress looks amazing on you!
chicaem29 said... (3/16/11 7:51 PM) Reply
I love your dress and am so glad to hear how you solved the neckline/armscye issue. I was holding back on making this pattern because I was concerned after the other review. Who knew the fix was so simple?! You look great as always!
Rhoda K said... (3/16/11 6:49 PM) Reply
Beautiful! I always enjoy and learn from your reviews.
sewtime said... (3/16/11 6:35 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress,you look fantastic! !
Crumpet said... (3/16/11 5:01 PM) Reply
What a great dress. You look amazing!
Erica B. said... (3/16/11 1:45 PM) Reply
lakaribane, the problem was the shoulder strap, piece #2. It was too long, therefore causing everything to be thrown off. If you have any dress and the shoulder strap is too long, that would cause the armscye to hang too low, right? Right! LOL So there was no re-shapping involved because the shoulder strap, piece #2 was too long and the armscye was pulled up to the correct position. The back is two pieces, back bodice and back skirt. There is no dart in the back. It's really a simple pattern and once the plunging neckline issue is resolved, it sews really quickly -- like in a few hours.
krawz said... (3/16/11 1:31 PM) Reply
Fantastic! You inspire me!
lakaribane said... (3/16/11 1:02 PM) Reply
Me again! Ok, so I've been thinking about this dress A LOT since yesterday. And I have a few questions: so if you took out 4in at the shoulder, what happened to the armscye? did it become normal or did you have to reshape it? 2) is the back made up of 2 pieces (back bodice + back skirt) + the opposite end of piece #2? 3) Is the back skirt made up of a giant dart just like the front skirt? How crazy is that pattern, anyway??? TIA
cleverkitty said... (3/16/11 12:15 PM) Reply
Love the color, Erica were are you wearing your dress and heals three times a week? I will find any opportunity to wear the clothes I made even the grocery store, are you like that? I look forward to your reviews, beautiful dress.
Pam in Virginia said... (3/16/11 9:51 AM) Reply
Gorgeous as always. You know how to pick garments that flatter you.
janet said... (3/16/11 9:23 AM) Reply
GORGEOUS! Your fixes to this pattern are great, I will keep your review bookmarked for future use.
becca a said... (3/16/11 9:17 AM) Reply
What a gorgeous dress! You achieved perfect fit with these alterations. Four inches is an awful lot to take out of the neckline--they really did do something strange in their drafting. I love the color. I agree that ponte roma is a more flattering choice of fabric.
Ecrulace said... (3/16/11 7:06 AM) Reply
Well done!
Terri A said... (3/16/11 3:03 AM) Reply
You look wonderful. I like your changes.
Scheri said... (3/16/11 2:40 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress
Barbara V said... (3/16/11 0:45 AM) Reply
This is so pretty on you. Your changes made it just right. Lovely work!
beth5646 said... (3/15/11 10:41 PM) Reply
Another absolutely beautiful dress Erica. It looks fab on you. Thanks for the review.
Elke said... (3/15/11 9:34 PM) Reply
Fabulous dress and the color looks gorgeous on you!
Vonnevo said... (3/15/11 9:21 PM) Reply
Fabulous dress and suits you beautifully !!! Thanks for the fix on the low neckline :)
SewWil said... (3/15/11 8:46 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress. Looks great on you!
Erica B. said... (3/15/11 8:45 PM) Reply
Piece #2 is the shoulder strap. I removed 4 inches and added back 6!
eclectickim said... (3/15/11 8:45 PM) Reply
This looks absolutely stunning on you!
lakaribane said... (3/15/11 8:38 PM) Reply
Looks great in the photo and I get what you mean about using a double knit but what is piece 2, exactly? I'm surprised you removed length when you usually add inches, non?
Scheryka said... (3/15/11 8:28 PM) Reply