Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5890

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
See other patterns in this category: Suits / Separates
Fabric:Polyester Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
Updated May 2015
Since the initial review, I've made this top a few times using separate binding for the neckline and armholes. It has been a favourite because of the fit and works great under a jacket. Since it doesn't use much fabric, it is great to squeeze a top out of the offcuts of another t-shirt ( especially the merino knit Ts I make for DH)

This latest top is a recycled fabric form this asymetric top (Kwik Sew 3790). I never got used to the asymetric neckline, but I loved the print. I use a visible black binding on the armholes and neckline.

________________________
Pattern Description: Pattern for knit jacket, top, dress and pants in tow lengths. This review is for the fitted top with cap sleeves and princess seams. Above hip length

Pattern Sizing: 6-22

Fabric Used: Dry knit - very drapey and a pain to hem!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Reduced length across chest by 1cm.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions are quite detailed. The only thing I didn't like was that the armholes and neckline hem is turned - it was very hard to get a good finish and the hem ended up having to be hand sewn. I'll do a bound hem next time.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, although the pattern envelope photo doesn't show up the construction of the garment very well

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Love the fit of the princess seams. Major dislike for the armhole finishing - this top almost ended up in the bin.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I'd sew it again because I like the look and fit but use bindings instead of turned hems.

Conclusion: Glad a good friend pulled it out of the bin after my frustration with the armhole finishing and made me finish it. I love this top.

Other Projects by treefrog using this Pattern

Vesta Patterns

vestapatterns.com

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

RedRockin said... (8/26/15 9:15 AM) Reply
I love this! I've had this pattern in my wish list forever but the huge neckline scares me. Did you raise or narrow the neckline for this version?
Gloria M said... (5/13/15 9:16 PM) Reply
Beautiful top! Thank you for the advice about finishing with bindings.
Gloria M said... (5/13/15 9:16 PM) Reply
Beautiful top! Thank you for the advice about finishing with bindings.
LynneH said... (5/12/15 11:58 AM) Reply
Your fabric is very nice. Love your shirt
Vancouvergirl said... (5/12/15 10:48 AM) Reply
Gorgeous classic top! Love it!
Sharonspils said... (5/12/15 8:20 AM) Reply
Oh I really like this, great fabric.
AngelaSews said... (5/12/15 1:52 AM) Reply
Lovely top. I'm glad you were able to reuse that beautiful fabric.
magpie57 said... (6/28/11 11:34 PM) Reply
I love your project picture (as well as the tee which is very flattering!). However did you do it?
treefrog replied...(5/12/15 2:10 AM)
Thanks. For the image, I took a phot of me wearing the top and then used Paintshop to select and delete everything but the top. It is a bit slow going
Margaret said... (3/21/11 3:22 PM) Reply
Glad you finished this -- very flattering & great fit.
JTink said... (3/17/11 1:58 PM) Reply
I'm so glad you reviewed this. I've had this pattern for a while. This top also looks "bra friendly". Always a plus for me ;-) Nice fit, pretty color.
renren said... (3/17/11 8:52 AM) Reply
Great fit and colour . . . so glad you persevered on it because it looks like the perfect top. Thanks for the heads up on the hem and armhole finishes.
Sharonspils said... (3/17/11 2:05 AM) Reply
Love the colour and fit, well done.
jannw said... (3/17/11 1:54 AM) Reply
nice top..good to know about the finishes..
margk said... (3/17/11 1:44 AM) Reply
Thank goodness for friends! I really like Princess seams - nice top. Love the colour.
QuiltSewSewSue said... (3/16/11 11:20 PM) Reply
Nice cut for a tee - love the colour!
Elemenopeo said... (3/16/11 8:37 PM) Reply
Good to know about the bindings - it is cute and a nice flattering shape.

by: ladyithis

Towne Purse Paper Pattern

Towne Purse Paper Pattern

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)