Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2157 (Givenchy Dress)

Reviewed by:pharmercoon

About pharmercoonstar
MS USA
Member since: 4/5/04
Posted on:7/26/04 6:21 AM
Last Updated:7/26/04 7:41 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
Asa Hagstrom said... (1/19/05 12:51 PM) Reply
I love your dress! In fact, I'm working on my for myself right now, and I want to line it too. Having made a muslin, I'm a little concerned that the lining will show in the front and back cowls (esp. in back), and I'm thinking about using self-fabric in the top of the lining. What do you think? Does your lining show in the cowls?
KathleenS said... (7/29/04 3:43 AM) Reply
Great dress - isn't the drape fun? (I've made one too). Good idea about cutting the straps in one with the dress.
Danvillegirl said... (7/28/04 7:26 PM) Reply
Nice dress, love the fabric. Glad the tape worked, good suggestion for use.
debbie.w said... (7/27/04 12:38 PM) Reply
I love the dress & material-- good job.
SouthernStitch said... (7/26/04 9:47 PM) Reply
Great dress! I think the fabric was just made for this. Too funny about the tape and the wine.
mudcat said... (7/26/04 7:26 PM) Reply
Wow, that's an impressive dress and to make something fit you so well after not making anything in a long time is equally impressive. ~Alice
Jennie Pakula said... (7/26/04 5:23 PM) Reply
Beautiful, Kay - and a helpful and funny review. It really adds an extra dimension when you hear stories about where the finished garment has been worn!
candyo said... (7/26/04 2:44 PM) Reply
You go girl! I'm sure all the guys there were cursing themselves, wishing you were their date!
TanyaMT said... (7/26/04 2:15 PM) Reply
Fantastic dress. Fun yet elegant. The fit is great.
SueV said... (7/26/04 12:57 PM) Reply
Ilove this dress and it looks so nice on you. I may just have to think of some place to go so I can make and wear this!
Lynngray said... (7/26/04 12:53 PM) Reply
Wow, you look great. Wonderful fabric.
SewTabby said... (7/26/04 10:57 AM) Reply
Hooray! Double-sided tape saves the day! Great story, and had there really been a "wet chiffon contest" I'm sure you would have won :) Beautiful dress, great job!
caleddon said... (7/26/04 10:51 AM) Reply
That looks great. I hope the white wine came out OK. Those Hollywood types use lingerie tape, also known as toupe tape to stick their decolletage where they want it to be. It can also be used to provide support, if you don't have much to support.
D1Diva said... (7/26/04 9:54 AM) Reply
Very pretty and sexy, yet modest. Thanks for an informative and entertaining review!
LindaS. said... (7/26/04 9:36 AM) Reply
Va-va-voom! What a dress! My DD and I were admiring this pattern just last night but I wasn't sure about the neckline on a teenager. Thanks for the warning about the low-cut-ness(?) of it. Great review, too. I never would have thought of cutting out the bodice with the straps as part of it. Fabulous idea. They make special tape for holding garments to skin no doubt at a huge price, but now we all know that Scotch tape is the way to go. That fabric is beautiful, too. My Hancock's never has anything that pretty.
Debbie Spriggs said... (7/26/04 9:21 AM) Reply
Your fabric choice looks just perfect for this pattern, and the dress looks just lovely on you!
SandraB said... (7/26/04 9:14 AM) Reply
This dress is so beautiful on you.
drsue said... (7/26/04 9:13 AM) Reply
Your dress is wonderful. Thanks for the tape idea! Georgene is right: I bet the movie stars do this all the time.
Mollykat said... (7/26/04 9:07 AM) Reply
wow, I just bought a dress that looks like this one! I wouldn't have thought it the same based on the pattern photos, but yours looks like my dress. Just right for curves! I think I'll have to add this to my wish list. Great job, you look glamourous.
Liana said... (7/26/04 9:03 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress and so pretty on you! What a harrowing experience you had. Hurray for scotch tape!
Leslie in Austin said... (7/26/04 9:02 AM) Reply
So pretty! This pattern is in my wishlist, so special thanks for all of the construction suggestions.
jlg said... (7/26/04 9:00 AM) Reply
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I love this pattern but do not have the body for it. It's lovely on you.
mClones said... (7/26/04 8:59 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress, beautiful fit!
Sew it seams said... (7/26/04 8:57 AM) Reply
Your dress is lovely on you. The chiffon fabric is perfect for that drape. I made this dress for one of 5 bride's maids in December. (all had different dresses but used the same crinkled poly home dec fabric ..... ) The dress I made was not nearly as beautiful and flowy as yours is. Very pretty.
Mandolin82 said... (7/26/04 8:50 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress, and I liked the details on how to wear it!
AnneM said... (7/26/04 8:09 AM) Reply
Oh my, all that effort and you get wine spilled on you! :o Yes, thank goodness it was white wine. You certainly handled the situation with grace, and looked lovely in your dress.
Georgene said... (7/26/04 8:02 AM) Reply
Great dress and great story. Love the tape idea! I feel certain that all those gowns at the Oscars and other awards shows are stuck on to their wearers as well.
cindyann said... (7/26/04 7:54 AM) Reply
Lovely! Very pretty colors. So nice of you to have a sense of humor about the spilled wine.
PhyllisC said... (7/26/04 7:51 AM) Reply
Oh my GOSH - what a great dress! Very flattering and the fabric you chose is just perfect.
valerie sews said... (7/26/04 7:50 AM) Reply
Your dress looks wonderful on you. Nice choice of material too.

by: michalklim...