Pattern Reviews> Pamela's Patterns> 104 (The Perfect T Shirt)

Review submitted in Fabric Stash Contest 2015 Contest

Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
Filed Under: perfect tshirt
Fabric:Interlock Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
UPDATE 6/4/15: I finished this version of the Perfect T-shirt on 6/2/15. It's for my DS2 who should fit into a Size S, according to her measurements.

1. How long has this fabric been in your stash? The light green fabric has been in my stash for just over four years.

2. How large is your complete fabric stash? Rough estimate: 500 yards

3. Why did you make this item? For my DS2's birthday. I'm also using it to add yardage to the 2015 Fabric Stash Contest.
4. DS2 Birthday "T"

UPDATE 8/14/14: Here is a new twist on the Perfect "T":
My Clown "T"

Close-up of neckline

Sleeve and hem triple coverstitching

Pattern Description: From the envelope: This is a T-Shirt pattern unlike any you have ever tried before! It is made for a "real" woman, and addresses the most common fitting issues we face - high round back, forward shoulder, full hip and bust, and a good fit through the shoulder and neck. Design details include an "essence of waist", flattering shirt tail hemline, three necklines, and four sleeve lengths.

Pattern Sizing: XS-S-M-L-XL

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, to some extent. I'm then Pamela so our fit is a little different.

Were the instructions easy to follow? I made this shirt during a workshop with Pamela Leggett. The Jacksonville, FL Chapter of the American Sewing Guild hosted her for two days back at the beginning of April. I took the Saturday class and spent the day with Pamela perfecting the fit of my T-shirt.

**Before cutting out your sleeves, be sure to add a wedge at the hemline to allow for hem turn-up. If this triangular piece is not added, you will have to overstretch the hem fabric to make up for the lack of fabric necessary to allow your sleeve hem to lie flat against the inside of the sleeve.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked having all the alteration lines right on the pattern. I also enjoyed having the pattern's author right in the room with me when I made it for the first time!

Fabric Used: Floral print interlock from Cloth World (1994) before it became Jo-Ann's in 1996.

Update 8/14/14: Black ITY jersey (95% Polyester/5% Lycra) used for T-shirt; 100% Polyester crepe knit from Fabric.com for neckband.

Update 6/4/15: Arcadian Green Interlock from Jo-Ann's (60% Cotton/40% Polyester) purchased in April 2011.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
- Petite adjustment in the shoulder area of the front, back and sleeve pattern pieces. This was a surprise to me.
- Lengthening top by 2 1/2"
- Decreased shoulder seam by 3/8" on the armhole side
- Next time I make it, I will lower the dart by 3/4"

Update 8/14/14: To create the decorative neckband, I cut a 2" wide strip 100% polyester crepe 2 1/2 times the length of the neckline plus 1/2", fused a 1" wide strip of Fuse 'n Gather (Nancy's Notions) at center and pulled the gathering threads. I sewed the two ends together and attached it around the scoop neckline, stitching down the center of the strip.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Most definitely. This is my TNT T-shirt pattern. There were 20 people in the workshop with Pamela and each chose a different type of knit to sew with. I chose interlock and love the way it turned out. Within a day or two of finishing this shirt, I made another in a solid periwinkle blue interlock. I've worn both shirts so much my DH asked if people around me are going to get sick of seeing me in the same shirts. : ) I have another shirt cut out and ready to sew up as a birthday gift for a dear friend whose birthday is in Auguest.

This is a great first project for someone just starting to sew with knits. There were a few in our class that were new to knits who went out the day after class and bought more fabric to make the T-shirt again. That speaks volumes.

Conclusion: I love the fit of this pattern and the way it skims over all my curves.

Sweater knit fabrics

Diane333 said... (7/8/15 11:31 PM) Reply
I'll have to try this pattern. Looks nice.
Vancouvergirl said... (6/28/15 8:00 PM) Reply
Wonderful t-shirt! Love the colour choice too!
beanchor said... (6/19/15 11:20 PM) Reply
Lovely tees!
carolynw said... (6/19/15 7:44 PM) Reply
Lovely tees - you are right this really is a Perfect Pattern!!
SheBear0320 said... (6/6/15 10:20 AM) Reply
I love the colour of your new version -- I'm sure your sister will love her new Birthday Tee.
judypin said... (6/5/15 1:01 AM) Reply
It did turn out very nicely! Question - is that wedge you mention at the hemline included in the pattern instructions?
Judy Kski replied...(6/5/15 10:46 AM)
No. The first top I made, I added the wedge so that the hemline would lay flat against the inside of the sleeve. With the 3/4 length sleeves, I found it wasn't necessary since the distance around the hem is much shorter.
KathySews said... (11/5/12 4:19 AM) Reply
I love my PP tee and have made a ton of them. Happy to see you love yours also
marec said... (9/2/12 1:30 PM) Reply
Thanks for linking to this review. It's a great tee on you and of course, I can never have too many t shirt patterns. :-)
marymary86 said... (8/17/12 1:25 PM) Reply
Your shirt fits beautifully. Thanks for a great review - you look really cute in your top!
Cultured Purl said... (6/21/11 11:47 AM) Reply
Congrats on your new TNT! I have this pattern the DVD and the neckline options pattern as well ,tho this pattern offers 3 view anyay! I think this is one of my all time favorite TNT patterns ever!
ChristineBR said... (6/8/11 8:01 AM) Reply
It does appear to fit beautifully, but the rhodies stole your show!
renren said... (6/7/11 8:32 PM) Reply
This is one of those patterns I keep meaning to order, along with Pamela's DVD on sewing tees. Thanks for reminding me and glad to read your high praise.
dbsewer said... (6/7/11 7:20 PM) Reply
These are great patterns and this is one of my go-tos for T-shirts. Love the fabric of yours. So glad you discovered this great pattern company.
Karendee said... (6/7/11 6:49 PM) Reply
You have found a wonderful t shirt pattern and will enjoy making lots of them,

Lekala Patterns 4042