Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 5403 (Missess Poodle Skirts)

Reviewed by:Silver_lolita

About Silver_lolitastar
Member since: 7/26/04
Skill level:Beginner
Posted on:8/3/04 8:59 PM
Last Updated:8/4/04 1:13 AM
Pattern Size:Regular Petite
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
See other patterns in this category: Costumes

spookielady said... (8/5/05 1:16 AM) Reply
I hope with some help my poodle skirt will look good too
SouthernStitch said... (8/5/04 9:55 AM) Reply
Welcome to PR and nice to see that this worked out for you! I made my DD a circle skirt once - a mid calf length 50's costume. 4 yds of fabric and cutting on the floor is NOT for me! Very smart to choose a skirt as a first project for the very reasons you stated.
PVA said... (8/4/04 9:49 AM) Reply
Thanks for the photo, that was fast! I'm sure you are going to get much enjoyment out of your skirt, I sure did with mine!
KimP said... (8/4/04 8:45 AM) Reply
Excellent review - can't wait to see what you make next!
AnneM said... (8/4/04 4:21 AM) Reply
Congratulations on your skirt! What great rolled-hem practice. It's too late for your hems, but I just read a tip on the message board that says to apply the fray-check & then immediately steam it (w/ your iron); this should soften it up while still being effective. Haven't tried it yet myself.
PVA said... (8/4/04 0:25 AM) Reply
Thanks for this review. I made a poodle skirt once many, many, many years ago when I was 16, It wasn't a costume, we really wore them! I marked the waist opening with chalk & string with the fabric spread out on the floor. It was a black taffeta moire -- I actually did the jitterbug wearing that skirt. I loved it! I'd certainly love to see a photo of yours!
KitnRose said... (8/3/04 10:27 PM) Reply
Congrats on your first skirt! Great job hanging in there. Sound like my first skirt incident ... except that one went "forget that lapped zipper, I'm putting in a single hook and eye and just wearing long shirts over it." Oh, and forget hemming, I made it out of jean material so I could just zig-zag an inch in and let it fray. You actually put work into yours and finished it. Great job! Oh, for what it's worth, I still get compliments on that poor skirt. Perfect apparently matters most to the person wearing it. :) And yours sounds like quite the accomplishment, you should be very proud.
mamakooz said... (8/3/04 9:48 PM) Reply
great review. circle hems aren't the easiest in the world, i would hate to have to remove that much, you did real good hanging in there. Its NOT the heat, its the humidity that gets ya!! LOL

Kwik Sew 4029