Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 5403 (Missess Poodle Skirts)

Reviewed by:Silver_lolita

Posted on:8/3/04 8:59 PM
Last Updated:8/4/04 1:13 AM
Pattern Size:Regular Petite

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
See other patterns in this category: Costumes
spookielady said... (8/5/05 1:16 AM) Reply
I hope with some help my poodle skirt will look good too
SouthernStitch said... (8/5/04 9:55 AM) Reply
Welcome to PR and nice to see that this worked out for you! I made my DD a circle skirt once - a mid calf length 50's costume. 4 yds of fabric and cutting on the floor is NOT for me! Very smart to choose a skirt as a first project for the very reasons you stated.
PVA said... (8/4/04 9:49 AM) Reply
Thanks for the photo, that was fast! I'm sure you are going to get much enjoyment out of your skirt, I sure did with mine!
KimP said... (8/4/04 8:45 AM) Reply
Excellent review - can't wait to see what you make next!
AnneM said... (8/4/04 4:21 AM) Reply
Congratulations on your skirt! What great rolled-hem practice. It's too late for your hems, but I just read a tip on the message board that says to apply the fray-check & then immediately steam it (w/ your iron); this should soften it up while still being effective. Haven't tried it yet myself.
PVA said... (8/4/04 0:25 AM) Reply
Thanks for this review. I made a poodle skirt once many, many, many years ago when I was 16, It wasn't a costume, we really wore them! I marked the waist opening with chalk & string with the fabric spread out on the floor. It was a black taffeta moire -- I actually did the jitterbug wearing that skirt. I loved it! I'd certainly love to see a photo of yours!
KitnRose said... (8/3/04 10:27 PM) Reply
Congrats on your first skirt! Great job hanging in there. Sound like my first skirt incident ... except that one went "forget that lapped zipper, I'm putting in a single hook and eye and just wearing long shirts over it." Oh, and forget hemming, I made it out of jean material so I could just zig-zag an inch in and let it fray. You actually put work into yours and finished it. Great job! Oh, for what it's worth, I still get compliments on that poor skirt. Perfect apparently matters most to the person wearing it. :) And yours sounds like quite the accomplishment, you should be very proud.
mamakooz said... (8/3/04 9:48 PM) Reply
great review. circle hems aren't the easiest in the world, i would hate to have to remove that much, you did real good hanging in there. Its NOT the heat, its the humidity that gets ya!! LOL

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Designer Dress Shirt Pattern