Online Sewing Class: Bust Adjustments

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5138 (SHIRTS IN TWO LENGTHS)

Reviewed by:clothingengineer

About clothingengineerstarstarstarstar
Member since: 5/7/10
Posted on:4/18/11 8:45 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 13 people
FreyaStark said... (4/20/11 6:46 AM) Reply
A really nice shirt. I must acquire this pattern myself.
VirginiasDghter said... (4/19/11 1:10 PM) Reply
Very nicely done! Love the color and the fit!
clothingengineer said... (4/19/11 1:09 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone! @JTink - You remove the ease from the pattern before you cut the fabric. I used Sandra Betzina's method. She has you measure the front and back armholes, then the sleevecap and compare measurements. It isn't unusual to have up to 2.5" of ease in a Big 4 pattern, and for shirts you don't really need more than 1". I made 3 long slashes to the elbow on the sleeve pattern - one in the direct center of the sleeve, one 1/4" to the left, one 1/4" to the right. I then overlapped them and smoothed out the top seam, removing probably 1" total. I could have probably removed at least another 1/2" but with careful sewing I managed to ease in the sleeves with no puckers. I would also like to note that I have *never* been able to ease in sleeve caps smoothly using typical Big 4 pattern instructions (2 rows of basting stitches). I instead pinned the sleeve to the armhole, matching markings, and then placed it on the machine the sleeve side down (against the feed dogs) and armhole side up. That way I can use the feed dogs and my fingers to ease in the excess,and there's no basting stitches to rip out later. It took me several years of sewing before I finally figured this out.
CarolynGM said... (4/19/11 10:11 AM) Reply
I love your shirt. I make lots of shirts for the same reasons that you do. It's the only way to get the sleeves long enough. It sounds like I need to get the Coffin DVD.
KD in ATL said... (4/19/11 9:39 AM) Reply
It looks terrific! You did a great job.
optimistic said... (4/19/11 9:29 AM) Reply
This may be a plain blouse as you stated, but blouses are very hard to make and you did a superb job!
Christas said... (4/19/11 9:08 AM) Reply
Beautiful blouse! I love the color and buttons. The fit looks perfect.
JTink said... (4/19/11 8:32 AM) Reply
This is a super shirt. How did you remove the extra sleeve ease?
mssewcrazy said... (4/19/11 8:22 AM) Reply
That shirt if just too cute. I really need to make vet daughter one of these-she would love the fit on this.
Nancy Rhodes said... (4/19/11 8:15 AM) Reply
Home run on that shirt.. love the color, and I agree shirts need a real placket & once figured out, not that difficult. The DVD (DPC's) is a Godsend... I review frequently when contemplating any shirt-details. (except i have the ancient VHS tape version...) Lovely shirt!
lamstu said... (4/19/11 7:53 AM) Reply
A nice 'plain' top, but what a great color! The fit is excellent. I am a big fan of the curved hem and this looks just right.
SusiM said... (4/19/11 0:20 AM) Reply
Thanks for mentioning the ease in the sleeve cap. The blouse looks perfectly fitted on you.
Elemenopeo said... (4/18/11 10:58 PM) Reply
great basic - fits great too
cleverkitty said... (4/18/11 10:56 PM) Reply
Very nice on you, those placket directions are awful, I noticed that on patterns, give me real plackets!!! I have that book it's great
sewbehind said... (4/18/11 10:29 PM) Reply
Very nicely done. I think you need about a dozen in different colours. Looks great on you and great job.
QuiltSewSewSue said... (4/18/11 10:18 PM) Reply
You will get a lot of use out of this top - looks lovely.
Re Becca said... (4/18/11 10:05 PM) Reply
Great fit! This is incredibly flatterin, you look so chic. I love the color too.

Other Gertie's Keyhole Blouse

by: julliams

Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)