Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Posted on:8/10/04 9:37 AM
Last Updated:8/10/04 11:31 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 6 people    Very Helpful by 7 people

donna mel said... (3/27/09 10:08 AM) Reply
i know its now 2009, but thanks for your review! especilly the tip about the single needle plate for the bernina. i'm planning to dye and sew this blouse with lightweight chiffon, and that sounds like a tip that will save a giant headache!
Katharine in BXL said... (6/15/05 10:53 PM) Reply
The blouse is gorgeous--it must have been a stunning outfit! I hear the ruffle edge finishing is terrible. Irina suggested cutting two, sewing together, and sewing that on. Clever fix--will this work for you?
Modiste Madness said... (8/13/04 0:04 AM) Reply
I have been looking at that pattern. Your blouse looks just as cute as I thought it would. Your construction is excellent, especially on such a troublesome fabric.
Debbie Cook said... (8/11/04 8:21 AM) Reply
What a gorgeous blouse!! I love the fabric, the style, everthing. Thanks for the tips in your review too.
Rebecca D said... (8/11/04 6:03 AM) Reply
Your blouse is simply stunning. It never ceases to astonish me when someone takes what seems to be the plainest KS pattern and turns it into something amazing. It's such a testimony to their design philosophy, and in this case, a testimony to your design sense and skill.
JDpenelope said... (8/11/04 0:19 AM) Reply
Just beautiful. Thanks for tip about adhering the fabric to stabilizer before finishing the edges of your silk ruffle. Also, I just got Nancy's book, Fitting Finesse, after reading several reviews, and now yours, that mentioned her method.
Lori V said... (8/10/04 11:09 PM) Reply
gorgeous top, love the ruffle and fabric
Linda E. said... (8/10/04 9:16 PM) Reply
Beautiful top love you design interruption. good review enjoy the pictures would love to see it on you with the pants.
sewfrequent said... (8/10/04 8:36 PM) Reply
Eeew that is one terrific top! I've had that pattern for a long while for my petite, flat-chested daughter and was afraid of it bc of the huge V. I will be more willing to attempt it now. Thank you so much and agree completely the ruffle is great and just the right amount of frill..not too much and not too little. Lovely!!
Jennie Pakula said... (8/10/04 7:08 PM) Reply
I have this pattern and a spotty georgette ready for it. Thanks for the review and the tip about the neckline and single needle plate. I also thought about doing a narrow rolled hem on the overlocker for the ruffles. I'll remember to keep plenty of scraps to practice on!
SouthernStitch said... (8/10/04 6:53 PM) Reply
After our lively discussion of your wedding attire dilemma, its too cool to see what you sewed. Smashing is a word that comes to mind!
sewsue said... (8/10/04 5:32 PM) Reply
What a beautiful looking top! It is lovely fabric and I think the ruffle looks fine. Thanks for the review and the tips.
Danvillegirl said... (8/10/04 3:45 PM) Reply
Very pretty. Love this fabric. Blouse looks very elegant.
Sherril Miller said... (8/10/04 2:57 PM) Reply
I *LOVE* your fabric choice. That is a stunnign blouse. I'm going to find some pretty jB/W for a blouse for myself. Thanks for the idea.
Hilary said... (8/10/04 12:59 PM) Reply
Your blouse is just BEAUTIFUL! I love that fabric, I think the edge finish is a great choice-its eyecatching and really jazzes it up. Thanks for a great review!
PegL said... (8/10/04 12:42 PM) Reply
Very pretty top! Makes me want this pattern too!
JoleneF said... (8/10/04 11:47 AM) Reply
Your top looks really great!
PhyllisC said... (8/10/04 11:33 AM) Reply
Marigold - yes, raising the neckline is very easy to do....I just edited the review to include how to do that.
marigold said... (8/10/04 11:19 AM) Reply
Phyllis, do you think it would be easy to modify to make the neckline higher?
Deepika said... (8/10/04 11:08 AM) Reply
oh my god Phylls, what a lovely top. I just want to keep looking at it!
Teri said... (8/10/04 10:58 AM) Reply
Ohhhh, sew pretty!
Dovie said... (8/10/04 10:47 AM) Reply
Oh, I want one of those! That is stunning. A very beautiful top.
CarrieA said... (8/10/04 10:27 AM) Reply
Phyllis, your blouse is beautiful! I made this once and couldn't figure out the best way to finish the ruffle...I just doubled the ruffle and sewed two together (putting a seam at the edge). It made the ruffle more substantial, so probably works best in a lightweight fabric. Great job!
jlg said... (8/10/04 10:21 AM) Reply
What a beautiful blouse. Very feminine.
D1Diva said... (8/10/04 9:56 AM) Reply
Yes, please post a picture of you wearing this pretty top! I like this pattern, but the neckline looks too low for me. Thanks for the heads up!
Patti B said... (8/10/04 9:54 AM) Reply
Gorgeous blouse, Phyllis. You're right about the neckline -- I have made this pattern in the tunic style and it is right on the verge of being a bit too low!
Leslie in Austin said... (8/10/04 9:52 AM) Reply
Wow, Phyllis. That's *gorgeous*! Definitely a soft and feminine intepretation of the otherwise stark B/W theme. The first thing that caught my eye was the edge finishing on the ruffles. You're going to be smashing at the wedding. I do hope you'll post pictures of the whole ensemble!

More Knits