Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Park Bench patterns> 17 (Williamsburg)

Viewed 2020 times

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people

boutiquefabric.com

High end fashion fabrics

JMTDavis said... (3/16/06 4:48 PM) Reply
I made this pattern many years ago and was satisfied with the results as well. I agree with the reviewer after making the second Park Bench pattern. If you are approximately a pattern size 12 or 14 and 5'4" or so in height (like Mary Lou Rankin) the garments should fit you.
guineahen said... (3/11/06 8:34 AM) Reply
Thank-you for the insight. I am also 5'9 1/2" tall and usually wear 16 and 18 rtw sizing. This makes me a little skeptical of size adjustments although I'm ready to tackle them. I plan to wear this outfit at the beginning of April.
guineahen said... (2/5/06 1:35 PM) Reply
thank-you for the height insight on this pattern as I am 5'9 1/2" tall. I will most likely have to some major lenght adjustments.
AnneM said... (8/30/04 7:15 PM) Reply
I'm not generally fond of this pattern line, for me (styles & sizing won't work well). But I really like the way your outfit came out. Great job.
Danvillegirl said... (8/30/04 6:28 PM) Reply
Great review of this pattern. I have had this in my stash forever. Glad to see such a thorough review.
Skymom said... (8/29/04 7:21 PM) Reply
Rebecca, be careful when you make the pants. I made them in the default size that comes in the envelope, with no alterations; I usually wear a RTW 6 or 8 in pants, and these were so huge on me that I was able to wear them when I was 8 months pregnant. They didn't happen to look that good then, either, by the way, but that was due to a poor choice of fabric. THe linen blend I used, which worked great for the jacket, was way too stiff for the pants. There can be a lot of overlap in the front pleat, so go for something light and flowy to keep bulk down.
Cassandra59 said... (8/23/04 5:49 PM) Reply
Thanks for a thorough review. I am also looking forward to seeing your photos. This is also a pattern that I've had in my stash for several years without trying it; it will certainly help to have your review at hand should I decide to attempt it. I agree that PB patterns tend to look very different when made up than they do on the pattern envelope. I saw a couple of Rankin's trunk shows at G Street Fabrics and was quite pleasantly surprised at the possibilities.
Rebecca D said... (8/15/04 8:13 AM) Reply
I'm glad to read a review of this and, like others, am eager to see a picture. I tried another Park Bench pattern that didn't work out that well, but have held onto this one as I have always been intrigued by the pants. Thanks for such thorough comments on the construction process.
Skymom said... (8/14/04 7:02 PM) Reply
I've made this one and also found that the facing patterns didn't fit--not a big deal if you notice it ahead of time. I'm a narrow-shouldered 5'6", with a small bust measurment, and I recall taking out several inches altogether of width; I was using a linen blend with lots of body and didn't want masses of fabric overwhelming me. This alteration worked just fine. I enjoyed the sewing process; it's fun because there's none of the usual finishing. At one point you suddenly realize you've faced all the edges, and voila--you're done.
xela said... (8/14/04 1:05 PM) Reply
Excellent review. Thank you for all the "inside" info. I've had this pattern for years and have yet to try it. The Central Park pattern is a favorite of mine and has been used many different creations. Happy sewing.
Danvillegirl said... (8/14/04 9:01 AM) Reply
I bought this pattern years ago and have yet to attempt it. I have tried PB other patterns for wearable art pieces and I like trying to put the pattern puzzle together. I have seen several of PB patterns made up over the past several years and they are very nice. I agree that you need to plan your adjustments before cutting the pattern to get them to fit . Love to see your photo of this.
Mini said... (8/13/04 9:18 PM) Reply
Thanks for an interesting review. Those "noodle boned" drawings are so inscrutable that it is hard to guess what the real garments would look like, especially on real people. I'm looking forward to seeing the picture.

J Stern Designs The Hobo Bag Pattern