Online Sewing Class: Bust Adjustments

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1238 (Misses' Dress)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:5/9/11 1:46 PM

Other Projects by Ann Smith using this Pattern

pegsewer said... (5/10/11 5:12 PM) Reply
I can always count on you to make up these new ones! thanks. You may think it looks like a mu-mu but I think it looks GREAT on you!
FreyaStark said... (5/10/11 6:03 AM) Reply
It doesn't look too bad to me. It certainly looks better than a muumuu. Keep it, and wear it when you're in the mood.
Athene said... (5/9/11 9:40 PM) Reply
You look lovely to me. I never fail to be amazed at how well you choose fabric to suit the style. This was one Vogue pattern I passed up at the last sale. Now after seeing your version I want the pattern.
mad stash said... (5/9/11 7:46 PM) Reply
This particular Miyake dress does look mumu-ish made up, but I wonder how much of it has to do with the weight of fabric. Miyake says to use knits for EVERYTHING, but the picture on the pattern appears to be made of a featherweight silk. Maybe the only way a person could wear that much drapey fabric and still look hot would be if the fabric was so fabulously light, floaty and ethereal that the draped tiers hadn't much volume. I bought this pattern even though I wasn't sure about how flattering it would be. Like everyone who has their doubts about the wearability of this dress but still bought it, the cleverness of the design was so charming that it won me over. (Plus the $3.99 pattern sale helped.) Based on your helpful review I'll still take the plunge when I can find some super, super, super lightweight, floaty material. If it doesn't turn out, like you said, it could always be worn as a nightgown. :)
Barbara V said... (5/9/11 7:38 PM) Reply
What a unique pattern and most eye catching with your choice of fabrics. It does look perfect to wear on warm summer days. I was surprised to read that it was an easier Miyake to assemble as it has a mystery look to it. Nice work!
VtMartha said... (5/9/11 5:40 PM) Reply
Ann, I think it looks really cute on you - especially the way you blocked it. I purchased the pattern and might actually sew it after seeing yours. eta: I am sewing it now!
hmacski said... (5/9/11 4:37 PM) Reply
Hi Ann: I'm sitting on the fence about this one, as I think you are. I love the contrast fabrics and love the swoop at the hip. I certainly think it sings way more than the beige on beige. I wonder if it's the neckline that makes one think 'muumuu'? Helen
DorothyK said... (5/9/11 2:43 PM) Reply
This is a fun pattern and I love how your dress turned out. It looks very comfortable, whatever you decide to wear it for. I'm looking forward to making it and appreciate your comments, especially about sizing.
marthamyers said... (5/9/11 2:21 PM) Reply
Thanks so very much for this review. I too have loved some Miyake styles, others not so much. I like your idea of treating it like a puzzle to be enjoyed now, and maybe later too. This is a very interesting pattern.

Ottobre Design Magazine 06-2010-14