Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1238 (Misses' Dress)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:5/9/11 1:48 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 4 people

Other Projects by Ann Smith using this Pattern

debviolet said... (8/24/11 9:57 PM) Reply
hi ann--i noticed your reference to 1476 and have a fitting question about it--since it's off topic, could you write me back if you are ok to talk about 1476? thanks!
Ann Smith said... (5/11/11 2:51 PM) Reply
Taylormade and WJean, definitely make a smaller size than you normally would be careful only that the armholes fit. No need to go to larger size for waist and hips, lots and lots of room there. What I don't like about the bust area is that is drops in folds over the bust. I like the Betzina dress which is fitted through the bodice much better. If you are short I would trim some off of every curve mostly on the horizontal part of the curve. A bit tricky to shorten without distorting the proportions. Good luck.
WJean said... (5/10/11 2:21 PM) Reply
Thanks for the written review and accompanying photos. The dress looks great on you, and it certainly does not look like a nightgown. I too love the mix of pattern and solid, it makes the pattern 'pop!' The photo on the pattern cover I believe is for a tall, modelish person. I purchased the pattern even though I am not fond of knits, and I too was concerned about how to shorten the pattern as I'm all of 5'1"!! So, I am extremely appreciative of your conveying the shortening tip. Also, the information about the fullness in the bust was extremely helpful, and in that regard I am anxious to read your response to taylormade's question about pattern sizing in the bust area. Know that you did not make a 'mumu' and wear it wherever you want to go!
taylormade said... (5/10/11 12:08 PM) Reply
Ann, I think the dress looks fabulous because of your choice and mix of fabrics. It actually looks great in the pics, altho I can see where you have the extra fullness through the bust and shoulders. I am actually tempted to try it because it might camoflague my "problem' middle area. Do you think if you use a small top and go to a larger bottom it would work, or is it just a bust? Would love to know your thoughts. I too loved the S. Betzina pattern, and this one reminds of the lines and style. Great review, thanks!
Amanda.Claire said... (5/10/11 7:55 AM) Reply
I am fascinated by your pattern choices. You have an amazing sense of style.
Sewiing Sue said... (5/9/11 4:48 PM) Reply
I like the contrast fabric very much and can't see how the pattern would work without contrasting fabric. Even more muumuu-ish, perhaps. That said, it is a fun dress, maybe good for summer evening patio parrties.
Raye Ann said... (5/9/11 2:29 PM) Reply
i love the lines of the dress and the fabric mix you chose. fun, fun! too bad it doesn't meet your standards for out-of-the-house wear. good warning- as i sometimes like the looks of these patterns but am certainly concerned with flattering-ness.

Kwik Sew 2315