In this video, you learn how to:
  • Use some of the basic tools
  • Choose fabric
  • Use patterns
  • Measure yourself for patterns
  • Trace and cut out the pattern
  • Lay out and cut out the pattern from fabric
  • Stitch together and press your skirt
You'll also learn about sewing machine features and pattern language and symbols.

Let Deepika demystify the process of sewing for you! Take this class!

Complete List of Videos

1. Introduction and Tools
  2. Fabric Types
  3. What the Information on the Pattern Envelope Means
  4. Types of Patterns and What the Markings Mean
  5. Taking Body Measurements
  6. Tracing the Patterns and Understanding Markings
  7. Preparing the Fabric, Laying Out the Pattern Pieces, and Cutting Out the Fabric
  8. Getting to Know your Sewing Machine
  9. Sewing the Skirt
">Sewing Basics Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1179 (Misses' Dress)

Reviewed by:prosestitch

About prosestitchstar
Member since: 2/11/10
Posted on:5/18/11 7:47 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
SJ Kurtz said... (3/8/14 3:31 PM) Reply
I hunted your review down in reference to using a woven for this pattern. Glad to know it works, and I'm revv'n up the layout board even now.
CBrushNew2Sewing said... (8/17/11 2:55 PM) Reply
This looks fantastic! I love the long-sleeved shirt under it - great look. Inspiring!
mesewlot said... (5/20/11 0:07 AM) Reply
What a great idea, love it!
CarolynGM said... (5/19/11 7:19 PM) Reply
Very interesting way to make up this pattern. It looks good in a woven.
Erin Sooit said... (5/19/11 4:40 PM) Reply
Thank you for experimenting on this dress to turn it into a tunic! I was thinking about the same idea, and you've done the legwork for me :D
lynne1nor said... (5/19/11 2:17 PM) Reply
Nice job with the tunic conversion - I think it looks much nicer than the dress version shown on the pattern envelope!
marec said... (5/19/11 10:23 AM) Reply
Terrific changes to the pattern-I love this tunic and wish I could carry it but sadly, no. It looks great on you.
Kathy in NM said... (5/19/11 9:41 AM) Reply
Wow, what a great style change your fabric makes! This looks great as a blouse with the heavier weight fabric.
dillyo said... (5/19/11 2:15 AM) Reply
I love the structure and body the wool gives this top. It looks great on you - I agree with franticfashion that this really suits your body type! If you recut the cowl on the bias, make sure you post another picture so we can compare the drape :)
21wale said... (5/19/11 0:12 AM) Reply
Really lovely.
prosestitch said... (5/18/11 11:26 PM) Reply
Thank you for your comments. I love your wise suggestion Irene. I can how a bias cut would work so much better. I will have to try it.
Lori V said... (5/18/11 11:11 PM) Reply
Very pretty.
prosestitch said... (5/18/11 10:36 PM) Reply
GoSewGirl said... (5/18/11 10:29 PM) Reply
I love your woven tunic version! This really is a great pattern. I've recently made it and it's really easy and really flattering. As I was reading your review, I thought that your cowl would drape as you want if you cut it on the bias—I see that Irene has all ready suggested it!
jaeng said... (5/18/11 10:28 PM) Reply
Oh wow, I love it. Yours look 100 times better than the original.
rivergum said... (5/18/11 10:09 PM) Reply
I love your version of this pattern and I think it looks wonderful on you. IMO you are slim enough to pull it off, on anyone with curves it would look like a tent in the heavier, woven wool fabric.
prosestitch said... (5/18/11 9:44 PM) Reply
touran said... (5/18/11 9:19 PM) Reply
Great look. I didn't even recognize it as the dress from the pattern.
Athene said... (5/18/11 8:57 PM) Reply
The top looks very attractive in a woven - I like Irene's advice to try it on the bias next time.
Irene said... (5/18/11 8:33 PM) Reply
A worthy experiment! It looks like your cowl is cut on the straight grain. To have any semblance of the knit version of the original design, a woven fabric needs to be cut on the bias . . . and would require more fabric.
mm said... (5/18/11 8:28 PM) Reply
I think it looks great as a top.

StyleArc Ivy knit top