Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2804 (Empire crossover top)

Reviewed by:clothingengineer

About clothingengineerstarstarstarstar
Member since: 5/7/10

Best Patterns of 2009
Posted on:6/1/11 9:00 AM

cleverkitty said... (5/21/14 8:56 PM) Reply
I'm getting ready to make this and your review was helpful, the sweetheart top I had to make three times before it fit the way I wanted it to, so I think I will make a muslin before making this one too :) thanks!
Raye Ann said... (6/2/11 0:09 AM) Reply
I also had to adjust this pattern quite a bit, but it was also my first Jalie. I didn't have to use different sizes for bust/waist/ hip, but did have to do a broad back adjustment. I didn't have to do that for any of my other Jalies. This pattern just seemed to have a closer fit than the others....but I love it and made it a few times once I got the fit worked out. Your top looks very cute!
clothingengineer said... (6/1/11 2:28 PM) Reply
MNBarb - I think the stretch and drape of the fabric has a lot to do with it. I've made the Jalie sweetheart top out of a sturdy cotton/lycra knit and the neckline was at least an inch higher than when I used an extremely stretchy, lighter weight rayon/lycra jersey. Both had 4-way stretch but the rayon had more stretch lengthwise than the cotton did, so everything got shifted a bit lower.
MNBarb said... (6/1/11 11:27 AM) Reply
I wonder if it's this pattern or if crossover tops are just difficult to fit considering all of the heights and shapes of bustlines. I had to add inches to the bodice of my version so the seam didn't end up at the bust apex. It looks like you have it all figured out and can now make another.
Amanda.Claire said... (6/1/11 9:43 AM) Reply
I so agree with all of your comments. I have this pattern and I have had to adjust this one more than even my other Jalie patterns. It is a very cute top and I think worth all of the extra effort. Thanks for the review!

BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2013-127