Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 2584 (Misses Dress, Tunic and Headband Cynthia Rowley Collection)

Reviewed by:JenniferMM

About JenniferMMstar
GA USA
Member since: 10/19/08
Posted on:6/2/11 6:19 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Tops
JenniferMM said... (7/22/13 1:11 PM) Reply
@novice beginner - Thanks! I'm sorry I didn't see your comment sooner. The combination you've chosen sounds cute! If you haven't finished this one, here's what I would suggest: To keep the pink from showing through, I'd recommend choosing a white fabric in a light to medium weight, with the highest thread count you can reasonably find. Then add a layer of lightweight interfacing with a similar drape. A higher thread count will limit the number of spaces the body color can show through and the interfacing should diffuse any additional pink. If you can't find a white with a high thread count (I struggle with this too), then experiment with a few interfacing options - they go a long way to limit seeing what you don't want to see. Good luck :)
novice beginner said... (4/24/13 2:32 PM) Reply
You did an amazing job. I am trying this pattern for the first time. Do you have any tips to keep the dress fabric from showing through the white fabric? I am using hot pink for main color with white accents.
JenniferMM said... (7/31/11 3:04 PM) Reply
@muximaus I certainly don't have a full bust issue but I did make the dress according to the envelope size (normally, I size down by one or two) and so I did notice the shoulders were a touch low. I think it's a slight design flaw - the sleeveless version is identical to the sleeved one with isn't the best placement. It did well for covering sunburned shoulders though! It wasn't enough to bother me and so I forgot when I wrote my review but I think it would be more flattering to bring them in about 1/2" or so. A French curve could help with that.
muximaus said... (7/31/11 0:11 AM) Reply
I'm in the middle of making this dress but I am finding that the shoulder is low. Did you have to adjust this? I'm finding this a common problem as I am large busted so I have to use a bigger pattern in order for the bust to fit.
JenniferMM said... (6/17/11 6:46 PM) Reply
Thanks for the new compliments. You're all so lovely :) @FLFiFiLarue - It was nice having the extra room while overindulging on Cajun food but I can certainly understand your concern. I imagine it would be quite easy to add bow-shaped darts below the bustline to take that area in a bit. I'm considering doing that on my next one to give it a different look.
FLFiFiLarue said... (6/16/11 4:36 PM) Reply
Love love your dress! For those of us in South Fla to fake a Lilly dress is indeed a compliment!! Have wanted to make this however as a D cup I am concerned of looking like I have a maternity dress on even tho Way Past that stage! lol
Diane333 said... (6/3/11 9:52 PM) Reply
Very pretty and feminine dress. You should have been on the pattern cover.
cleverkitty said... (6/3/11 11:47 AM) Reply
Adorable dress perfect for sight seeing and when it's really hot, it looks fresh. You did an outstanding job sewing this.
JenniferMM said... (6/3/11 9:39 AM) Reply
Wow! Thanks, everyone, for all the wonderful comments! :)
debbieB said... (6/2/11 11:45 PM) Reply
Great dress.This is one of my favorite patterns.
21wale said... (6/2/11 11:26 PM) Reply
What a fantastic dress! Nice color choice!
pammieh said... (6/2/11 10:54 PM) Reply
Fantastic dress!! Congratulations!
katlew03 said... (6/2/11 10:42 PM) Reply
What a cheerful looking dress. Love the yellow and white together. Great job on the yoke.
poppykettle said... (6/2/11 10:17 PM) Reply
Very mod - looks great!
Raye Ann said... (6/2/11 8:31 PM) Reply
Really pretty!
JanieBee said... (6/2/11 8:10 PM) Reply
Really pretty - the yellow & white fabrics look great together!
littlebetty said... (6/2/11 6:48 PM) Reply
This dress looks lovely - great work!

Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern