Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8741 (handbags)

Reviewed by:Karen61

About Karen61
Member since: 5/20/11
Posted on:6/11/11 7:19 PM
See other patterns in this category: Accessories

GardenGal7 said... (8/31/15 4:29 PM) Reply
If I am understanding this correctly: (View D) -Reversible -Contrast 2 inset lining is going to be the reversible fabric? So from outer to inner layers: -- Either 1 1/2 yards or 1 1/4 yards fabric for exterior of bag. --Contrast 1 is the lining for the exterior fabric of your bag --Contrast 1 fabric is also the EXTERIOR part of the inset (bag in a bag), and also used for the binding, the ties and the tabs --Contrast 2 fabric is the inset lining, or the innermost part of the bag -- and most crucial if you plan to use this as a reversible bag since this will be the exterior fabric when the bag is reversed. Since it's a bag in a bag, contrast 1 fabric lining and contrast 1 inset are facing eachother. I believe these make up the interior pockets when sewn together. Goodness I hope I get this right.
NJcowgirl said... (6/19/13 3:37 PM) Reply
I thought it was a simple bag. OMG I wish I had read your review b/4 I started. I kept asking myself "what's the contrast, what's the inset". Big! OMG it's huge.
Nenewhis said... (8/10/12 5:54 PM) Reply
I too cannot believe how confusing this pattern is. If this thing gets finished it is only because of your review and sfshaza and your tips that are helping me get through this.
xereta said... (6/22/12 10:31 AM) Reply
I just received my pattern in the mail and I cannot even understand how much fabric to order as I don't understand where contrast 1 and contrast 2 come in to play for view D. which seems to be all one fabric. If i add up all the yardage required for 45" fabric I would need about 4 7/8 yds. This bag must be huge! I didn't think I was that stupid, that I couldn't even understand the fabric requirements. I decided to look for reviews of this pattern and was very happy to find this review. It made me feel better that I wasn't the only one who thought it was crazy. I'm glad the pattern was only $3.99 on the Vogue website.
Karen61 said... (6/14/11 1:23 AM) Reply
Hi sfshaza, You are so right, I didn't read your review until after I ahd posted mine (rats!). I was gobsmacked when I read that the bag was reversible, as it threw my understanding of the bag yet again. I am using the bag today, but I think that like you I'll only use it on the weekends. I was unaware of Vogue's minimalist description trend and will keep that in mind in future. Happy sewing! Karen
sfshaza said... (6/12/11 12:45 PM) Reply
I posted my review of this bag a few days ago, so you probably didn't see it when you were making yours. It IS big, but I can wear the straps on my shoulder, though not if I were wearing a coat with big sleeves. Someone also suggested to me that I use it for a grocery bag and I almost beat them with it. ;) For me, this is a weekend bag and I think all the compartments will be useful. Vogue recently started to minimalize their pattern descriptions and I think it's a horrible move. I'm sure that Marcy Tilton had no say in that awful description.
bunnykins said... (6/12/11 1:24 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review and description of the problems you had with the pattern. I just bought this pattern for the View C/D bag and was wondering how huge it really was. This looks like a project for a day when I have lots and lots of patience.

Fit For Art Eureka! Pants that Fit Pattern