Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 4391 (Jacket, skirt and pants)

Reviewed by:Lori V

About Lori Vstarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/20/02
Posted on:8/29/04 11:12 PM
Last Updated:8/29/04 11:16 PM

Woolygal said... (10/17/08 8:50 AM) Reply
I think we are sometimes too hard on ourselves. We try to overfit, don't we?
HeatherJanet said... (4/11/06 2:38 PM) Reply
I like your jacket. I made a similar McCall's lined jacket with boucle (M5057) and I am not sure about the fit either. I think the problem is I am not used to wearing jackets with fronts that do not meet.
Debra H said... (2/21/05 9:43 PM) Reply
This was very helpful to me....your photo helped me verify a concern I had about the bell shaped sleeves. They just don't look as good in person as they do in the drawings. But you did do a good job fitting it considering the many problems you had! Thanks
CatherineN said... (11/7/04 8:50 PM) Reply
This looks so pretty on you! (I like your haircut too.)
kimmielovesparis said... (8/31/04 8:07 PM) Reply
I am in the process of making this jacket also! I added 1 1/2 inches to the length as it's shorter than I would like. You did an awsome job...I am inspired to get moving.
Lori V said... (8/31/04 5:49 AM) Reply
Thanks all for the compliments. It might be the too-high underarm. I put it on again last night and reevaluated. Do you think it would help the underam if I removed the shoulder pads? I will take your advice Jan B, and wear it. A few compliments will help, might suddenly become my favorite jacket
tamtay said... (8/31/04 1:47 AM) Reply
Looks wonderful. I agree with Jan B.--maybe it's high in the underarm. I've had the same issues of the back looking good but still feeling tight; I checked Sandra Betzina's Fast Fit book and she said a too-high underarm could be the cause. Haven't had a chance to try the alteration to see if it works though.
Mandolin82 said... (8/30/04 10:16 PM) Reply
The jacket looks gorgeous. Although it doesn't look tight through the back, maybe a broad back adjustment would help the next one feel more comfortable.
Jan B. said... (8/30/04 10:15 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks pretty on you. The color is becoming, and the fit looks good. You feel it is tight across the back, but it doesn't appear that way. Is it perhaps a little high in the underarm? That can create restriction in movement. I notice the jacket is shown without a top underneath in some of the views, and my experience has been that it may be more fitted in the armscye and sleeve when this is the case. You did a nice job on it, perhaps you just need to wear it and receive some compliments on it!!
Jennie Pakula said... (8/30/04 7:26 PM) Reply
The back doesn't look tight - it's a pity you don't feel comfortable in it. Lovely choice of fabric.
Danvillegirl said... (8/30/04 6:21 PM) Reply
I think the jacket looks good. Sorry you are not happy with it. From the back it looks like it fits well, nowhere does it look like it is too binding. I bought this same fabric and was going to make this jacket also. Never got to it though.
AuntieShel said... (8/30/04 12:52 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks wonderful, I'm sorry you don't like the fit.
KathleenS said... (8/30/04 3:55 AM) Reply
It looks like you did a great job, particularly with the pockets. It's a shame you're not happy with the fit.

No Pattern Used 001