Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1661 (60s Jo Mattli two-piece dress)

Review submitted in Vintage Pattern 2011 Contest
Reviewed by:Margaret

About Margaretstarstarstarstar
BC Canada
Member since: 11/4/02
Posted on:6/21/11 3:54 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
Margaret said... (5/7/14 3:27 AM) Reply
corgimom, sorry to hear you had problems with the gussets -- I know they're not easy. In this case, IIRC just staystitching through the fabric and the underlining with a tiny stitch in the corner area was enough (I think the instructions mentioned this but I don't have the pattern with me right now). But sometimes I also fuse bits of interfacing to the corners that need to be clipped. For the hem, I believe I covered the raw edge with hem tape or seam binding and catchstitched to the underlining -- I don't remember if the instructions mentioned the hem tape but with my fraying fabric, it looked better. I think you could change it to a set-in sleeve, if you have another pattern that you could morph onto the 1661 front... in that case I think it'd be easiest if the width across the front and back at the underarm, and the distance from bust to shoulder, were as similar as possible. You'd most likely have to recut the sleeves in order to have enough seam allowance to set them in, unless you wanted a very short cap.
corgimom said... (5/6/14 7:13 PM) Reply
Vogue pattern 1661 (Jo Mattli) was a nightmare to make. I read with interest your alteration to the top. Most of my gussets to the underarm area came out poorly. Would you consider remodeling the sleeve to a set in type rather than whatever it is now? Top is still not finished, how did you do the hems?
Margaret said... (7/22/11 11:14 AM) Reply
moushka, thanks for the info, that's very helpful to know! Sounds like maybe one of those cotton/poly blend batistes might work as a replacement when the correct 60s amount of stiffness is needed. I do know of people successfully using all-cotton batiste -- which is probably a bit softer -- to underline some silks, too.
moushka said... (7/21/11 9:10 PM) Reply
Great review and your outfit looks terrific. No underlining recommendations were usually given in the 'sixties because everyone used something called Sibonne which was available in every colour of the rainbow. My mom still has some in her stash, lol. I think it disappeared sometime in the 'seventies. I have no idea whether it was a synthetic or a cotton/synthetic combo, but it had a hand like lightly starched cotton batiste.
AnneM said... (7/2/11 11:40 AM) Reply
Beautiful. You could almost wear it inside-out. You did a fantastic job on it.
marec said... (7/1/11 10:40 AM) Reply
What a wonderful stroll down memory lane for me. This style was my first real suit, and I wore it to Easter services I think. I appreciate your complete and detailed review as I always learn something from your work. Beautiful.
fourkid said... (6/30/11 10:14 PM) Reply
I love this - you are so cute in it!
Aroura said... (6/30/11 4:10 PM) Reply
This is such a great outfit, and a very detailed and wonderful review! Very wearable vintage fashion, great job!
Margaret said... (6/30/11 4:58 AM) Reply
Thanks!!
velosewer said... (6/30/11 0:12 AM) Reply
This is so cool. I love this outfit. You look great.
Heatherrique said... (6/29/11 10:23 PM) Reply
One nicely sleekly tailored ensemble, Margaret! Thanks for your details, especially your alterations.
CAgirl said... (6/23/11 8:57 AM) Reply
I think you put together a very attractive garment! The fabric and style suit you very well. I am impressed with your attention to detail. I'm applauding!
Q Valley Mary said... (6/22/11 11:24 AM) Reply
Another elegant, classic look for you. And another helpful review of the construction details.
Karine said... (6/22/11 8:40 AM) Reply
You did a beautiful job with this. The inside of your garment is as attractive as the outside. Love the fabric. Thanks for the detailed review - you obviously have a high level of understanding and skill related to fitting!
pdiddly said... (6/22/11 6:56 AM) Reply
beautiful work
Margaret said... (6/22/11 5:20 AM) Reply
Thanks for all the very nice comments! Freya, the fabric was not so bad to deal with -- it did fray, but the texture slowed that down some and also meant it was not at all slippery.
sewbarbie said... (6/22/11 0:10 AM) Reply
Great review- I love these vintage designer patterns. You did a wonderful job on this and it looks great on you.
PittyPat said... (6/21/11 3:02 PM) Reply
Wonderful creation... love the turquoise hand-sewn accent threads on the top. Beautiful job... well done.
Hilary said... (6/21/11 2:51 PM) Reply
I love your suit, its a beautiful color and it looks good on you-I like it with the tights also!
MNBarb said... (6/21/11 1:16 PM) Reply
You're looking very Jackie O In this suit. As always, I admire your sewing skills. I think this is a very distinctive outfit and I love the look with tights and shoes. Kudos to you on your hard work.
Rhonda in Montreal said... (6/21/11 9:14 AM) Reply
Ahaa!! UP to "your level" of construction!! Kudos!! ;)
FreyaStark said... (6/21/11 6:59 AM) Reply
A cute and distinctive outfit. I'm impressed by the effort you've put in, especially given that the fabric must have been hard to handle.
ejvc said... (6/21/11 6:44 AM) Reply
what a beautiful piece of work! Thanks for the interior shots. You put a lot of work into it and it's rather wonderful.
KatieA said... (6/21/11 5:44 AM) Reply
Nice look, and the fabric really suits it. I found that on my 1960s skirt too the side seams were a lot more flared than I'd choose.

The Technique of Underlining Garments