Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7823 (Today's Fit Bias Dress)

Reviewed by:Jo-Anne Kristensen

About Jo-Anne Kristensen
MI USA
Posted on:9/1/04 1:12 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular Petite
Sew it seams said... (9/10/04 12:57 PM) Reply
What a great looking pattern. I'm looking forward to seeing your photo. Thanks for mentioning the power sewing tips. I must get that book *and* this pattern.
Jo-Anne Kristensen said... (9/10/04 6:43 AM) Reply
Franatic, I think the key to bias garments is to have enough ease. Bias garments tend to get longer and narrower because the nature of the bias . Therefore, you need to start with enough ease. Don't be thrown by the look of the pattern piece because it has this ease built in. SB also has added 1" just in case seam allowances. Try this pattern in an inexpensive fabric and make yourself a quick muslin. It only has 2 main pattern pieces and see what you think.
AuntieShel said... (9/2/04 12:11 PM) Reply
Thank you for this review. I also have a pear shape, weight is in my thighs, and every time I try on a bias garment in the store, I look ridiculous, honestly. My hips above my thighs are fairly straight, so there is a definite large bump when the garment hits my thighs. For this reason, I hesitate to sew anything on the bias. Am I trying on a bad cut or do I need to stay away from bias? Would love to see a photo of you in your dress.
Karla Kizer said... (9/2/04 5:31 AM) Reply
Ya know, that's two positive reviews of this pattern in recent days. I'm definitely going to add this one to my collection. Thank you, Jo-Anne.
Jo-Anne Kristensen said... (9/2/04 0:19 AM) Reply
Sherril- My daughter, who is more of an apple shape than me, tried it on and it looked great on her, too.
Sherril Miller said... (9/1/04 7:20 PM) Reply
I see from your bio that you have a pair shape. Do you think this would be flattering for an apple shape?
Jo-Anne Kristensen said... (9/1/04 3:09 PM) Reply
Joan- I'm sorry I'm not computer savvy enough to get photos uploaded, but I'll talk to my DH computer guru about it! In the meantime, "Izzie" wrote a review a few days ago and included a photo. I would say mine has a similar fit, except I didn't change the neckline.
joan said... (9/1/04 1:33 PM) Reply
I'm glad to read your enthusiastic review of this pattern. I am considering it for the next 75%off sale for Vogue. Is there a chance we could see see photo of you wearing it?

by: FreyaStark