Online Sewing Class: Clone Your Favorite Garment

Pattern Reviews> Du Barry> 1086B (Slip)

Review submitted in Vintage Pattern 2011 Contest
Reviewed by:fourkid

About fourkidstarstar
Member since: 8/30/08
Posted on:6/30/11 9:46 PM
Last Updated:6/30/11 10:02 PM

Sweater knit fabrics

circetwo said... (12/2/11 9:44 PM) Reply
You don't really need a special foot for the invisible zipper. There are a couple of really good tutorials online for that. Make sure you get the one that has good photos (www.coletterie.com is my favorite) and remember to put the zip in first.
ladybegood said... (7/12/11 7:34 PM) Reply
I love these vintage slip patterns. Thanks for the tips.
fourkid said... (7/10/11 9:18 AM) Reply
Yes, Margaret - that is exactly what it was, a snap placket. An invisible zipper did cross my mind - but I have not done one since high school (I was fearless then) - and I don't have the foot for it now. But I think maybe I should pursue that option since you reinforce that idea and have experience with it working out for this need. And yes, the slip is luxurious. Hannah oves it. I planned to make just the one for this year, but it is working so well for her that I will go ahead and make a black and a nude one too. I can do one up in a day (now that I have the correct stitch down) so it will not be a problem to work them into the schedule - and I will try the woven version again too. This is a great pattern.
Margaret said... (7/9/11 2:42 PM) Reply
Lovely slip -- looks very luxurious! The fabric sounds great! BTW, for side closures on these old patterns I often use an invisible zipper. It's an anachronism, but it's less bulky than a standard zipper and smoother (and much less work to do) than a snap placket, which might be what this pattern intended.
fourkid said... (7/1/11 9:42 PM) Reply
Oops, on the panties question - I am not sure Renren. It is very soft and slinky - not as much recovery as I think most panty fabric has - but one can always try it and see.
fourkid said... (7/1/11 9:37 PM) Reply
Thank you. For Renren - it wasn't actually a normal straight stitch. The name the SM instruction book gives it is a straight stretch stitch. It actually looks a little like a lightening bolt. It looks pretty and it stretches even better than a zig-zag stitch. It is a bit slow - and there are 6 very long seams. For CAgirl - I did do a lot of practice work before I tried a new step - I learned the hard way. And this fabric and this stitch would be impossible to pick out, so I wanted to be doubly careful.
CAgirl said... (7/1/11 7:30 PM) Reply
What a lovely idea - vintage lingerie ! It sounds like you did a bit of trouble shooting along the way- it was worth it as your daughter have a perfectly lovely slip.
JTink said... (7/1/11 6:52 PM) Reply
This is the style of slip I've been looking for. I've tried to morph some of my tank top patterns, but it's just not the same. This is a great looking slip.
marec said... (7/1/11 10:43 AM) Reply
double post
marec said... (7/1/11 10:43 AM) Reply
I love it and am so impressed with your work, especially given the instructions.
renren said... (7/1/11 9:03 AM) Reply
That Whisper II fabric looks wonderful. A practical yet lovely slip. But I'm curious about all that straightstitching on a knit. I guess after all I've read, I would have chosen a small, very small, zigzag. Interesting . . . fourkid, do you think this Whisper II would work for panties?
Aroura said... (6/30/11 11:18 PM) Reply
A very elegant slip. It sounds like a pain to make out of woven, I'm glad it worked well for you in the lovely satin stretch. Great job!

Sure-Fit Designs Pants Kit