Pattern Reviews> Wild Ginger> PMBX5 Princess Dress (PMBX5 Princess Dress)

Reviewed by:OP Gal

photo3
Pattern Photo: Wild Ginger Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Great Wardrobe Builder
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 9 people
Fabric:Linen  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: A-line tea length shoulder princess dress. Here's a picture:
Brown Dress

Pattern Sizing Custom sized by pattern drafting software

The finished dress looked like the line drawing produced by the software.

There are some very generic instructions on how to make a princess dress, blouse, jacket or other garment available. but in actuality, you're pretty much on your own.

Likes and DislikesThis was going to be my Mother-of-the-Groom dress for my son's wedding last September, but I found out at the last minute that the mother of the bride was wearing a long dress, so I quickly whipped something long to wear and put this unfinished dress aside. I finished this dress later, and will wear it often with jackets, statement jewelry, etc.

Fabric Used Chocolate brown linen/wool blend from F & S Fabric in Los Angeles, and silk habotai for the lining from Mood also in Los Angeles. Kathi Rank was kind enough to pick me up at the airport as my husband I were returning from a trip, and take me fabric shopping the above stores to shop for my MOG outfit. Happily, I found the perfect fabric for a fall wedding in a flattering color.

Pattern Alterations I know that the dress looks like somewhat of a sack in the picture, but it has more shape in person. This is the first garment I've gotten to skim the upper chest nicely and fit through the shoulders after tweaking the princess seams. Shoulder princess garments really do allow for a lot of tweaking and altering for a great fit. I didn't make a lot of changes to the pattern, just some minor adjustments here and there. The software drafts the pattern using the measurements you provide.

I'm sure I'll use the pattern again, using different fabrics and colors, and maybe changing the neckline

Conclusion It's taken me a while to learn to love Pattern Master Boutique, but after having used it a few times, I'm beginning to love it. It saves me making the ten or eleven alterations I have to make to every pattern. I've yet to master the CAD portion of the program, but that's my next project.
gmagina said... (5/26/15 1:35 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress. Great job with the fitting. I, too, am learning to love PMB, it is so fun to be able to create anything I want, and like you said, not having to make a ton of alterations to each commercial pattern piece!! TFS
maryfrana said... (5/26/15 11:05 AM) Reply
The fit is very nice, and I am intrigued to know more about Pattern Master Boutique. You can tell it's just beautiful fabric too.
JustTrina said... (7/31/11 6:44 AM) Reply
Great Dress ! love the color on you and it does look like your very confident in it!
moushka said... (7/18/11 1:10 PM) Reply
You look lovely in your dress. Congratulations on working with PMB. I'm considering purchasing it but have been a little shy due to the learning curves. Good to see you getting such great results.
marec said... (7/18/11 11:51 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress on you, and what a great necklace. The whole outfit works so well with your coloring-I love it.
Kuby said... (7/18/11 10:22 AM) Reply
Your beautiful smile says it all! The dress looks beautiful on you and you are in inspiration to PMB users. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
mastdenman said... (7/17/11 11:16 PM) Reply
Great dress.
ArtAttack said... (7/17/11 10:37 PM) Reply
Wow...you must have an engineering degree! Super dress, beautiful color and looks like it will be very versatile within your wardrobe...
Sew4Fun said... (7/17/11 10:33 PM) Reply
Nice dress! It's great to see you having some success with the software.

by: mnitts