Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8631 (Misses' Dress)

Reviewed by:Tailypo

About Tailypostarstarstar
Member since: 8/6/03
Posted on:7/25/11 1:27 PM
Last Updated:7/25/11 2:12 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 6 people

Anne Cherry said... (12/7/11 9:41 PM) Reply
Your review makes me feel better! I made this up in a green poly cotton (ie did not closely read recommended fabrics) ...totally agree with your description of the 'hospital gown' look! Horrendous! This happened early in my return-to-sewing adventure and nearly put me off! I ended up harvesting the pieces for small projects; cutting the ugly thing up was a distinct pleasure...Now, having seen other versions in much softer fabric, I am contemplating trying again....just contemplating...(and if I go beyond this phase, I now know more re: how to cut the bulk down to size) Edit - forgot to comment that I think this style works much better with a print fabric than solid...The drawings on the front of the pattern lead you to think otherwise (the dresses are presented in solid colours, which attracted me, esp the yellow short sleeve version) but in practice, solids perpetuate the 'hospital gown' look....
RoseFromThule said... (8/5/11 4:36 AM) Reply
I've made this and had exactly the same problem. Fortunately my fabric is very drapey so with a cami it's still cute. I think that maybe it comes from the front bodice being cut on the straight grain - so that the neckline is on the bias. I have another dress from Vogue with a similar bodice (surplice) and it was cut on the bias, so that the neckline is on straight grain and the whole "cross over" doesn't stretch too much.
Mufffet said... (7/26/11 11:46 AM) Reply
I think it's a style for those who are about 5'11" and weigh about 95 pounds, really. It's a style that would be good in a silk or some such and in a light weight, and perhaps longer? All that though, and it is a nice garment in a nice color! I see ladybegood suggested "smallerizing" it and I think that would really be a good tangent toward better fit!
JDpenelope said... (7/26/11 7:57 AM) Reply
How disappointing. I wonder if the fabric could be part of the problem. The color is beautiful on you.....but, well you know. Your review is helpful and a good reality check.
ladybegood said... (7/25/11 2:42 PM) Reply
... Or save it for your next gyno exam and be the chicest patient in the office!
ladybegood said... (7/25/11 2:41 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. What a shame... it looks better on your dressform than on you. I think you could have gone down another size or two. Maybe you can salvage it by taking it it more and raising the underarm seam. The great thing about kimono sleeves is that they're the one sleeve you can raise after sewing. I think if you could get it to fit you the way it fits your dressform it would be a winner.

Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern