Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5466 (Misses' Skirt and Belt)

Reviewed by:redcleo

About redcleo
MN USA
Member since: 12/23/08
Posted on:7/26/11 10:24 AM

See other patterns in this category: Accessories    Skirts

Anne Cherry said... (7/29/11 10:52 AM) Reply
Wow love the fabric you used! I LOVE this pattern - really need to break out and try some of the other views (I'm stuck on View A) :-0 I added a back vent to my versions - it helps with movement but not critical for knee length. Agree that you need it if making a below knee version. Also, I've made this on the cross grain, works fine!
redcleo said... (7/27/11 11:29 AM) Reply
sewman100 - I hemmed this up 4 1/2" and I'm 5'8", so it's pretty much a below-the-knee skirt already. I think if it was much longer, you'd have to add in a back vent, as it's fairly slim. My stride wasn't hindered with the shorter length, but I think it might be awkward if it was longer. Otherwise, I don't see why you couldn't make it longer. All of the pattern pieces are just a plain rectangle except for the hips/waistline part, so it would be really easy to make longer.
sewman100 said... (7/27/11 1:11 AM) Reply
Can this Skirt be made below the knee as I am looking for patterns below the knew to mid calf and longer
sewman100 said... (7/27/11 1:11 AM) Reply
hme75 said... (7/26/11 11:40 PM) Reply
Another great skirt! I've been trying to decide on a pencil skirt pattern for fall and I'll definitely take a closer look at this. Too bad I just missed the $0.99 Butterick sale at Joanns..
redcleo said... (7/26/11 2:07 PM) Reply
Thanks for the cross-grain advice! I'm going to give it a shot! What do I have to lose, except one yard of fabric.
ClioBklyn said... (7/26/11 11:14 AM) Reply
The fun fabric really works on such an unfussy pattern! Very fun! I second cutting it crossgrain. I just used a border print which I cut crosswise and it turned out fine.
nicegirl said... (7/26/11 10:50 AM) Reply
Very cute! It's great to find those TNT patterns. I am going against Grain Orthodoxy here, but as long as your fabric is stable cutting on the crossgrain probably won't be a problem. I've done it in fabric shortage emergencies with no noticeable ill effect. It is best to cut all pieces on the same grain, though, whether straight of grain or crossgrain.

J Stern Designs Womens Jeans Pattern