Online Sewing Class: Understanding Wool Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6412 (suits)

Reviewed by:drsue

About drsuestarstarstarstar
Member since: 11/11/03
Skill level:Beginner

Posted on:9/12/04 1:32 PM
Last Updated:9/25/04 7:25 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
See other patterns in this category: Coordinates    Coat/Jacket    Suits / Separates    Pants    Skirts
Soliel said... (1/28/07 10:13 PM) Reply
I know this is an older review..but I have to say, Dr. Sue, you make the most awesome clothes. I am in love with your suit.
QuickFade said... (8/1/05 3:13 AM) Reply
Just bought the pattern and happened upon your review. Really great review. Thanks for the helpful tips. Although I'm much larger than you, I have often found it hard to find clothes that are big enough, at least in the misses department (juniors are different but most of the clothes are not appropriate for women our age). So, it's nice to see how this fits on someone with delicate bones and a tiny ribcage. I thought this would look good with it's substantial collar and waistline interest. Now, it will definitely get made.
DJM said... (5/12/05 3:29 PM) Reply
Thank you for your comments and photos. Your suit look great! Three suits a season is indeed a lofty goal, but you are already 1/3 there. Congratulations! DJM
Debra H said... (2/21/05 9:22 PM) Reply
This is very helpful to me...I am trying to decide between this pattern and La Fred's Maia Jacket...both are very cute. This jacket looks great on you...very flattering! Love the cool pin...no idea how old it is, but the important thing is that it look great and it does!
Skymom said... (9/27/04 9:54 AM) Reply
You look great in that suit! The proportions are really terrific on you, which must be a treat for a petite person. This is a great version of the season's biggest career look--and I agree about the fringe. Probably would be a bit much on you, plus, it will date the suit. Without it, you'll be able to wear this for many seasons.
Modiste Madness said... (9/26/04 6:19 PM) Reply
Fabulous! You are a very talented sewist.
Karla Kizer said... (9/26/04 11:25 AM) Reply
Wow. If you told me you had paid $800 for that outfit, I wouldn't have been surprised. I might have thought "Gee, I could have made it for lot less" - but I would never have gotten around to it. You did and what a reward you have. A great outfit that fits perfectly.
drsue said... (9/26/04 10:49 AM) Reply
Elona: Thanks for your comments on the pin. Unfortunately there are no markings at all. It's in excellent shape so I didn't think it was that old. However, it is quite hefty, very solidly put together. The small rhinestones are slighty yellow with age. Maybe 30's is right, doubt the 40's as its too flashy me thinks for a war time piece. Wish I knew for sure.
cindyann said... (9/26/04 10:16 AM) Reply
That fits you like a dream. Very, very nice.
AnneM said... (9/26/04 8:40 AM) Reply
Wonderful job; I just added this pattern to my wish-list. You look VERY fashionable, & that pin does go great.
candyo said... (9/26/04 8:31 AM) Reply
Very classy! I love it!
D1Diva said... (9/26/04 2:05 AM) Reply
Oh yes, much better to see you wearing the suit. It is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Schnauzer said... (9/26/04 1:53 AM) Reply
Fabulous suit drsue & the pin looks lovely with it.
Elona said... (9/25/04 10:14 PM) Reply
That suit is just perfect. It looks terrific on you. The pin is indeed cool. I'm not a jewelry expert, but my first thought was someplace in the 30s or 40s. However, there's something a little Art-Deco-ish about the design, so it might go back further. Are there any identifying marks on it?
jlg said... (9/25/04 8:50 PM) Reply
It looks great on you. Thanks for the picture with you as the model.
mag said... (9/17/04 6:41 PM) Reply
Drsue, your suit is gorgeous. I just got some black and white tweedy wool boucle, and I want to try that pattern. I travel to DC frequently and I know the shop in Old Town that you are talking about. I would like to reproduce many of the items I have seen displayed there.
captreestarfish said... (9/15/04 8:40 PM) Reply
That suit is just so stunning. Very, Very helpful review. So inspiring and lovely.
Jennie Pakula said... (9/15/04 5:45 PM) Reply
Beautiful suit - retro, classic, yet so up to date. It looks like high grade RTW. I appreciate your comments about the fringing, it's a detail I feel a bit diffident about too.
appleC said... (9/15/04 2:28 PM) Reply
Ah... having buttons above and below the bust will cause a bust gap! Thank you so much for the tip. Very lovely suit.
Teenie said... (9/14/04 7:29 PM) Reply
Beautiful!!! and the pin, is great!
SueV said... (9/13/04 10:48 AM) Reply
Great suit; and very professional work. I love your reviews and the garments you make. Thanks!
PVA said... (9/13/04 10:26 AM) Reply
Drsue, this suit is absolutely smashing! Thanks for the review & all the construction details. What a great pin, perfect finish for a very professional look.
Lori V said... (9/12/04 10:49 PM) Reply
gorgeous
drsue said... (9/12/04 8:01 PM) Reply
I'll try to put up a pic of me in the suit at a later date. Right now we're in the midst of a major heat wave and I can't bear to wear it right now. It looks good on me as well as the form. I love to see it on the form. When I was a highschooler in Virginia, I would take a bus through Old Town Alexandria. There was a boutique we passed by that always had the most wonderful clothes on a dress form like this. It really brings me back.
CarolynGM said... (9/12/04 7:56 PM) Reply
Gorgeous suit. It looks like you bought it in a fashionable, expensive boutique.
Sew it seams said... (9/12/04 7:50 PM) Reply
Oh, I just love your suit! It looks very expensive. I love your pin, too.
Elemenopeo said... (9/12/04 7:06 PM) Reply
Beautiful! It makes me wish I had a place to wear a suit.
Lou. said... (9/12/04 5:21 PM) Reply
Oh wow, this looks so good, what an inspiration.
jlg said... (9/12/04 5:07 PM) Reply
Sue, this suit is fabulous. It is beautiful and very expensive looking. This is impressive!
MaryBeth said... (9/12/04 4:27 PM) Reply
Very nice, I'd love to see it on you! Your coice to use a different skirt, change the flouce and the button placment are brilliant. Bravo!
Gladys said... (9/12/04 3:55 PM) Reply
This is fantastic! I have seen some of your other pieces and your work is beautiful.
Danvillegirl said... (9/12/04 3:51 PM) Reply
Your suit looks like the ones in the new Vogue Pattern Magazine by Donna Karan. You are very "IN". Lovely fabric and suit. Glad to read NL pattern worked well for you. I am always concerned they are going to be way to big for me being on the petite side. Sound like they work well though. Thanks for the review.
Levone said... (9/12/04 2:42 PM) Reply
I love your suit. Great job!
JoleneF said... (9/12/04 2:38 PM) Reply
This is great! Lvoe the color!
Eli said... (9/12/04 2:30 PM) Reply
Beautiful!
Leslie in Austin said... (9/12/04 1:56 PM) Reply
OMG! Your suit is *gorgeous! So feminine. Love the buttons you chose and that pin is fab.
bheath said... (9/12/04 1:40 PM) Reply
DrSue - beautiful suit!!!!!! Great color and the pin really adds to the overall look! Very Coco Chanel

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-1996-417