Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4790 (Retro '52 Wrap Dress)

Reviewed by:V8Mustang

Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
Type:Dresses
Fabric:Cotton Twill  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:
Misses' Wrap Dress: Three pattern pieces, darted in the front and back, with back waist and shoulder seams. Back wraps around to the front for a sheath-and-overskirt look. Bias tape finishes the edges.
Pattern Sizing:
I made size 10, but with some modifications (see below).
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Others who have reviewed this pattern before me have already commented on the fact that the artist's illustration does not exactly represent how this pattern comes together. The top (bodice) is the same but the peek-a-boo front opening is not the way the pattern looks when completed.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were very clear and easy to follow.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I really like the way the dress comes together. At first I thought that the bias binding would be a pain, and that it might look a bit "home-made" but in fact, it really adds to the personality of the dress.
Fabric Used:
I used two fabrics. The wrap around skirt and back bodice is a lightweight cotton twill (taking advice from a previous reviewer who said that you want a fabric that looks just as good on the wrong side for when the skirt lifts in the breeze), and for the front skirt/bodice i used a printed lightweight cotton. Unfortunately, the cotton in the front is the tiniest bit rough (??that is the wrong word), not quite sure how to describe it - there isn't a knap, but there is something about the fabric that cause the over skirt to stick to it, and then the under skirt wants to ride up inside when I walk, which means I have to be aware and smooth it down from time to time.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Because so many of you provided such great reviews before me, I thought it would be best to mock this up in a muslin first, which was a great idea. I had to lift the shoulder seams, and increase the depth of the darts in the back to fit my shape (how did I live before I got my dress form???), I also cut down the sides where the back bodice wraps to the front so make it about 2 cm lower beneath the side of the boobs. Again, based on previous comments, I thought about how best to deal with the front closure, and after some experimentation, I decided on an industrial style 5 inch separating zipper. It was super easy to install, and I think it keeps the dress from looking too much like an apron or too girly-girl!! And it's easy to put on, and keeps the dress from riding backward as others have mentioned.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I would sew it again. Different fabrics for sure, but it's super cute on and really easy to make. Be prepared for a LOT of hemming - circle skirts have serious circumference!!! And I would recommend it.
Conclusion:
There are some design/wearability issues but the cuteness outweigh those - in my opinion!

What I would like to say is that this project would not have been so successful without all of the thoughtful and insightful reviews provided by others who had made this dress and took the time to add their experiences to this site - to all of you - I am grateful!
Lapin87 said... (1/27/16 11:08 AM) Reply
Wonderful review:)
JTink said... (1/26/16 6:33 PM) Reply
This is really pretty and I love the zipper idea. You have the right figure to wear this :-)
maggs.n said... (1/26/16 6:03 PM) Reply
wow!!
jssca85 said... (3/10/13 2:26 PM) Reply
I love your fabric!
jssca85 said... (3/10/13 2:26 PM) Reply
I love your fabric!
CAgirl said... (8/9/11 7:35 AM) Reply
I've always loved this pattern! I discovered a family photo from the 50s with one woman wearing the original pattern! Love your fabric combination!
Claverie said... (8/8/11 9:04 PM) Reply
How Clever! A separating zipper! I wish I'd thought of it first! Your fabric choices are great for this dress. It fits you nicely too. Great job.
SewWil said... (8/7/11 11:43 PM) Reply
Very cute dress. Nice fabric combination.
Mrs.Missy said... (8/7/11 5:35 PM) Reply
adorable....so fresh
beth5646 said... (8/7/11 12:06 PM) Reply
Dress is just as cute as can be. It looks great on you.
Norsecross said... (8/6/11 11:39 PM) Reply
Your zipper was a great idea, and very secure. My dress of this version doesn't ride up int he front as I walk, but sorta creeps forward. I have been trying different undergarments to see if friction is causing my problem. Like you say, the cuteness overrides the qwerkiness of this dress. I love mine too!
Sewiing Sue said... (8/6/11 11:11 PM) Reply
Beautiful job. Great idea to use a zipper and they are so in.
Elemenopeo said... (8/6/11 5:37 PM) Reply