Online Sewing Class: Perfectly Fitted Shirt

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8717 (misses vest, jacket and pants)

Reviewed by:Mahogany Stylist

About Mahogany Styliststarstarstarstar
IL USA
Member since: 6/26/07
Posted on:8/19/11 8:28 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
See other patterns in this category: Vests    Coat/Jacket    Pants
Babs313 said... (9/9/13 11:11 AM) Reply
I made this jacket because I loved the styling. What a disappointment, though. I had the same flyaway effect in the back as pictured, but the entire jacket made with the correct size and cupsize that I always use was way off. I ended up giving it to someone who weighs about 40 lbs more than I do. She loves it.
Gendun said... (2/18/13 0:25 AM) Reply
Yes, it's a cute outfit. I have the pattern but wasn't keen on the jkt until I saw yours! As for the pants, don't give up on back zips - they make your derriere look cute! (hehe) As for the front, I agree there is something hinky with the pleats. The pants fit perfectly until you hit the them. Overall, however, it's totally cute!
Mahogany Stylist said... (8/26/11 12:34 PM) Reply
Thank everyone.
grey ann said... (8/21/11 3:14 PM) Reply
Ditto comments re: the pleats. Try a white belt with that white top. It will lengthen your torso, or like Nancy said, less of a contrast color for the top.
Terri A said... (8/21/11 0:09 AM) Reply
You look better than you think:-)
Sue Parrott said... (8/20/11 10:52 AM) Reply
I really like the outfit and believe me, we can be our own worst critics!
cleverkitty said... (8/20/11 10:11 AM) Reply
I know what you mean about the high waisted pants, I made a pair and I'm done with that style, pleats don't look good on me. I can relate too...
JoyceP said... (8/20/11 9:47 AM) Reply
Thank you! I have this pattern and will definitely not abandon my muslin-makin' ways :-) BTW, I agree with jenleeC that the front pleats are the issue. They end at just the most inconvenient spot - otherwise the ensemble looks really good on you. Hope you can tweak it!!
Nancy Rhodes said... (8/20/11 7:25 AM) Reply
Lovely outfit! But I hear you on the shortwaisted issue. Have you tried a no or far less contrasting color for the blouse? Think that would solve the visual conflict between your (mine too) long legs short torso build. Pants look fab!
Claverie said... (8/20/11 7:20 AM) Reply
Actually, I think you're 'stylin' it.
1SewSweet said... (8/20/11 7:18 AM) Reply
Sorry, that's so unfortunate so much time was spent on something you're not totally happy with...I can definitely relate! (been there, done that!).
pdiddly said... (8/20/11 4:31 AM) Reply
Its horrible when you spend so long making a complete outfit only to be unsure about it - I don't think it looks as bad as you think thanks for the review
sewtime said... (8/19/11 11:17 PM) Reply
I love your outfit! !
jenleeC said... (8/19/11 9:51 PM) Reply
I like the jacket on you, particularly the pleated sleeves. The back zipper looks fine. Maybe you would be happier with the pants if the front pleats were not sewn down?

Jalie 2445