Pattern Reviews> Other> S.E.W. (Unforgettable Elephant)

Review submitted in Sewing For Children Contest

Last Updated:4/5/15 8:37 AM
Project Photo:photo3

Pattern Photo: Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Easy & Great for Beginners
Pattern Description: Remember how you had one stuffed animal that you adored above all the rest because it was cushy and extra-charming? Now you can make that critter for someone else...

Pattern Sizing:Mommy elephant--9.25" high and 11" long and Baby elephant--5.5" high and 7.5" long

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?yes
Mommy and baby
blue linen elephant

Were the instructions easy to follow?very much so. It's difficult to write a review of this pattern without reviewing the entire book. I will do that in a seperate review and link it back to this one. For now, I will say that like the other patterns in the book, this one is very straightforward with clear directions and diagrams. You could sew from either the directions or the diagrams alone and be successful either way.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?Only if you have a black black heart could you hate a sweet stuffed elephant. I made the plaid baby and the plum print Mommy for my boys and the blue linen with red orange plaid underside for a baby shower gift.
Beyond that though, this is a good mental health project that uses very little fabric--scraps really.

Fabric Used:Linen and cotton scraps. I filled all 3 elephants with knit fabric scraps that I turned into confetti with my rotary cutter [insert evil laugh here].

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I did not fill these guys with polyfil because I learned from my experience of making Bill, the Two-Legged Pony that polyfil can leak out of the seams. As my older son was chewing on Bill, the Two-Legged Pony one day when he was a baby, I noticed something white. To my horror, I discovered that it was indeed polyfil. I decided that was fiber that did not need to be in my child's diet. I came up with the idea of shredding knit fabric scraps to use instead of the polyfill, and to my delight it worked wonderfully and gave my stuffies a very satisfying heft. Poor Bill survived a complete transfusion/lobotomy/dialysis etc. of knit fabric scraps and is now a wise, contributing member of my son's stuffie farm.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?Yes, this is a wonderful quick project. It makes for a sweet elephant and it's easy to add embroidery or other special touches.

Conclusion: You could have made like 4 in the time it took you to read this review!

I make a case for sewing stuffed animals on my blog here. Elizabeth Made This: Sewing stuffed animals

Sweater knit fabrics

renren said... (8/26/11 8:58 AM) Reply
Very cute and great use of confetti-cut leftover knits (or wadders), and as the etsy site shows, also wool (extra for that stuffing!).
KarenTeel said... (8/25/11 8:44 AM) Reply
Love these! I knew I was saving those knit cuttings from the serger for a reason. With a new GS I can use my scraps and he will love them. Thank you
newmama said... (8/25/11 6:18 AM) Reply
Great looking stuffies, and much better than paying $87! Thanks for the tip on using knit scraps.
Aroura said... (8/24/11 11:54 PM) Reply
This is so adorable! I completely agree with your blog, too. And of course a great use of scraps!

Colette Patterns 3004