Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1252 (Misses' Dress)

Reviewed by:JoanneM

About JoanneMstar
MN USA
Member since: 12/26/08
Posted on:8/26/11 10:57 PM
Last Updated:8/26/11 11:03 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
Ivy Rose said... (2/27/12 10:03 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I have decided the pattern is not for me.
Suzanne in Michigan said... (1/1/12 3:32 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for this review- particularly since you didn't finish the project- the very best reason to use pattern review.com!!! I was lucky enough to get the same exact fabric as used in the pattern photograph- and promise to post a review- success or not!
KozyKitty said... (9/29/11 12:33 PM) Reply
Thank you for the review. I fell in love with this pattern the minute I saw it. One thing I've learned about Vogue patterns is that they provide way too much ease. I pretty much ignore their sizing. Their sizing indicates that I should wear about a size 14 but typically an 8 - 10 fits perfectly. The photos of the red (muslin?) look to me like the dress is a little big. Most knits, particularly those with stretch, should have some negative ease if they are used in a fitted garment. I found a nice version of this dress on a blog and the blogger explains how she adjusted the sizing for the rouching to lay correctly. She also used tricot lining because the lack of lengthwise stretch added stability to the side seams without need for stay tape. http://amandasadventuresinsewing.blogspot.com/2011/09/vogue-1252-tracy-reese-knit-dress-w.html
sarahd27 said... (9/20/11 3:57 PM) Reply
Thank you for reviewing! I'm sorry the dress didn't work out for you. I'm thinking about making this pattern and am glad to hear that the directions are clear.
AuntieShel said... (9/2/11 4:59 PM) Reply
All I can say is "wow," thank you so much for reviewing this pattern. I think it looks excellent on you, but understand if it is not the "look" you were hoping for. I, too, fell in love with this pattern when I first saw it in Vogue Patterns Magazine (also wondered why they used a print.) I did not buy the pattern because of my dislike of gathering (almost anything.) I can see from your excellent review that I probably would have been very disappointed with my own results. I am sorry you did not get what you were hoping for, but you sure wrote an excellent review. Thank you!!!
gabc said... (8/29/11 9:54 AM) Reply
Thanks for posting your review, it does look like an interesting dress but it also looks extremely cosy! I guess it needs just the right fabric - but I do think this bodice looks really good on you. After reading your review I know if I try this one I will make sure I don't sacrifice a special fabric to start with!
squirrellypoo said... (8/28/11 5:39 PM) Reply
I love the photos here, and I've already bought this for myself for a wintry knit dress. I'm still not sure why you're not continuing with it, as it looks fabulous on you!
Terri A said... (8/28/11 1:18 AM) Reply
What a project! Great review - thanks so much:-)
Batik said... (8/28/11 0:18 AM) Reply
Very nice.
HelenMcG said... (8/27/11 10:07 AM) Reply
Thanks for sharing your efforts. This review comes across as so positive. It was something that gave you such learning opportunites and even though you say you will not move forward with this particular project, the effects of what you learned will be of such value going forward with other projects. Look forward to reading more of you reviews.
lynnewill said... (8/27/11 7:40 AM) Reply
such an intriguing design, but there is a lot going on and unless the fabric was super light weight could get bulky. I admire your attitude and appreciate you sharing your journey with us.
no7262 said... (8/26/11 6:44 PM) Reply
I do love the color and the look of this top on you! Looks much better on you then the envelope! Nora :)
Mahogany Stylist said... (8/26/11 12:32 PM) Reply
Looks great.
dingyadi said... (8/26/11 10:43 AM) Reply
It is already looking gorgeous - looking forward to seeing it finished.
Karine said... (8/26/11 9:07 AM) Reply
I can't wait to see the finished dress. The top is beautiful. The lines of the bodice and neck are so flattering. Keep persevering!
hme75 said... (8/25/11 11:09 PM) Reply
I like it much better in a solid color than a pattern. I can't wait to see the final result!
blessedtosew said... (8/25/11 7:38 PM) Reply
I am planning on making that, too. I love the color you chose.
ArtAttack said... (8/25/11 4:58 PM) Reply
It's going to be beautiful! I love the color...can't wait to see it finished...

Stretch & Sew 312