Online Sewing Class: Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
In this video, you learn how to:
  • Use some of the basic tools
  • Choose fabric
  • Use patterns
  • Measure yourself for patterns
  • Trace and cut out the pattern
  • Lay out and cut out the pattern from fabric
  • Stitch together and press your skirt
You'll also learn about sewing machine features and pattern language and symbols.

Let Deepika demystify the process of sewing for you! Take this class!

Complete List of Videos

1. Introduction and Tools
  2. Fabric Types
  3. What the Information on the Pattern Envelope Means
  4. Types of Patterns and What the Markings Mean
  5. Taking Body Measurements
  6. Tracing the Patterns and Understanding Markings
  7. Preparing the Fabric, Laying Out the Pattern Pieces, and Cutting Out the Fabric
  8. Getting to Know your Sewing Machine
  9. Sewing the Skirt
">Sewing Basics Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> Burda> 7742 (Shirt)

Reviewed by:MNBarb

About MNBarbstarstarstarstar
MN USA
Member since: 4/3/10
Posted on:8/27/11 7:22 PM
Last Updated:10/7/12 5:05 PM

Heatherrique said... (12/18/12 8:08 PM) Reply
I like your sleeveless version! You look wonderful in this!
ArtAttack said... (10/8/12 6:22 PM) Reply
Honey, if you're too old for leggings then I need a walker! You're adorable, wear them. Great top, too!
cleverkitty said... (10/8/12 10:49 AM) Reply
I like your top a lot and the fact you extended the shoulders, I always thought a sleeveless turtleneck was an oxymoron but when you said you were going to wear under a sweater I like that idea, I don't know why I was thinking by it's self. France? and I thought you were going to the lake all those times this summer...LOL
persevering said... (10/7/12 11:46 PM) Reply
Remember also, if it is tight on the bottom, you need some looseness somewhere... see the picture of Burda's pattern... there is looseness at the shoulder area on the long top, which balances the total look. Tight and tight is not stylish, though great for workout wear. However, that is where the draped scarf works, especially if everything else is tight - balance is key. Okay, I'm done with my opinion.
persevering said... (10/7/12 11:42 PM) Reply
Also, I think you've got the right idea with the outfit posted ... perhaps a longer scarf/or untied to the bottom of the top for this outfit... however, if you are comfortable ... that is what matters.
persevering said... (10/7/12 11:37 PM) Reply
Sorry, wasn't clear, woman make a point of being original and having confidence in what suits them. I say go for it ... I've seen the clothes you've posted for quite some time and it seems to me that you have excellent sense of what looks good on you! And that is what matters, it is the whole look, the subtle colors, coverage, etc. it is how the ensemble works on you, not someone else.
persevering said... (10/7/12 11:31 PM) Reply
Sure wear your leggings, the weather is going to be cool enough that you'll have another layer of outerwear of some kind when you are outdoors. I strongly suggest you take/buy at least one long thin scarf to knot/tie/drape that accessorizes everything. Otherwise, you might feel a bit bare though. You aren't going corporate are you? it is a holiday, and you certainly have the figure for leggings, regardless of length on top. One does not do cookie-cutter, copy-cat clothes in France, originality and confidence in personal style, and age is not an issue, it is having the panache to dress as suits you. At least that is my opinion. (I was in Spain a few months back and the super tight 'pants' on women, even with short tops, dominated everyone. If fact you could guess the women in regular straight or looser pants, as a tourist from Britain, Germany, or U.S. Most European women tourists were wearing super tight waist down ... sorry, I couldn't make out many locals, we visited the tourist sites in several cities.) Please note: corporate is totally different.
Baba Yaga said... (10/7/12 5:14 PM) Reply
I travel a bit in Europe and the tunic-with-leggings look is seen on women of all ages... although Paris may be an exception? I do note that, should you decide you want more clothes, what a grand reason to do a little Paris shopping! Have you thought of writing to Marcy Tilton? She knows Paris well and has a kind heart for Pattern Reviewers!
margk said... (8/28/11 6:12 PM) Reply
Great vest, gorgeous colour! Good call on the snap tape. : )
Sue Parrott said... (8/28/11 1:11 PM) Reply
I think your vest is adorable and your body type is great for leggings. I wouldn't be able to pull them off so if you are comfortable, go for it! :)
Vintage Joan said... (8/28/11 11:25 AM) Reply
This looks fantastic on you -- great idea for a vest! (On me this wouldn't work, but it works perfectly on you! ....This top seems just right for someone long and lean.)
rutaliet said... (8/28/11 8:40 AM) Reply
My opinion is that only your opinion matters. Wear what you love!
MNBarb said... (8/28/11 8:26 AM) Reply
Wow! Thanks guys, really good information so far. I love the IDEA of a skirt but, honestly, I don't have a skirt figure. Picture your husband or boyfriend in a skirt if you want a visual. I need this little group to hit the shops with me!
rivergum said... (8/28/11 4:25 AM) Reply
That is a great looking vest and I love the way you finished it. Like everyone else said, you have the body to pull off the leggins. However, to be really honest, if it was me I would feel comfortable in the US, but not in Europe. But then again, what do I know? Take the leggins, take something to go over the top, look at what everyone else is wearing in France and make a decision then. How about city shorts over the leggins?
Annette1 said... (8/28/11 1:30 AM) Reply
Geez. Sorry I wrote so MUCH. I guess I got carried away.
Annette1 said... (8/28/11 1:29 AM) Reply
Super cute little vest, particularly with your change to the neckline AND that fabric. I was trying to figure out what it was, as it has almost a crepey look. Beautiful color on you, too! So here's my HONEST OPINION on your leggings: I think you and your leggings should stay home, and I'll go to France in your place -- ha-ha! Actually, just my personal opinion, I think about 80 percent of the people who wear leggings don't look all that hot in them, MYSELF INCLUDED :o)) (although THICK leggings may have better odds), but you haven't got an OUNCE of fat on you, and you have a PERFECT figure, GREAT legs, so I say if you like leggings, wear them! You're NOT too old or too anything else. :o) I liken it to having breast cancer, getting through all THAT and deciding, you know what, I've got big boobs, and I'm not going worry about HIDING that fact anymore. I'm just happy to have them, and I'm going to wear whatever the heck I want to. How's that for an analogy? It makes sense in my feeble mind anyway, somewhat akin to the "if you've got it, flaunt it" theory, and you've definitely GOT IT in the leggings department. :o) I've seen recently in some of the magazines where they're wearing short shorts, in a somewhat tailored style, you know (usually pleated and cuffed, now that I think about it) over tights, and that's really a cute look, too. Not sure if it would look the same over leggings, but it might be another option to add to the wardrobe (albeit an unnecessary piece). Have fun in France! (Your husband's car kind of reminds me of ours. A friend of mine plays violin beautifully, and I told her, "Your violin is worth more than my CAR" -- and it is.)
Terri A said... (8/28/11 0:14 AM) Reply
Wow! You look sporty and cool:-)
marec said... (8/27/11 10:56 PM) Reply
Great review-I think you look so fit and stylish in this vest and leggings. Here is my opinion on leggings: they belong in a gym, or dance class, or as breeches. I do not like the look by themselves. I love them with a light skirt floating over them. Have a great trip Barb!
AndreaSews said... (8/27/11 10:39 PM) Reply
The vest looks good on you, and I like how you have it styled with the scarf and belt. I agree with Nancy - you are in great shape to be able to wear leggings. I think a longer, flowing skirt over the leggings would dress it up, while still giving you the support of the leggings. I typically use support hose when I travel, even under slacks, and I know how much it helps to have the support. I say wear what feels and looks good to you. And have fun in France!
sewing for fun said... (8/27/11 10:31 PM) Reply
I think it's a strictly a matter of personal comfort. The outfit looks great on you and the belt is a nice and flattering accent. I think I personally would feel kind of naked (even with your figure), BUT I strongly believe people should wear the clothes they feel comfortable in, both physically and socially - so I would ask if you will feel at ease in both senses on your trip. If this type of outfit is really you, then wear it and be proud and happy and comfortable in it as a statement of your own unique personal style!!!
Nancy1955 said... (8/27/11 8:51 PM) Reply
I think the vest looks great. Your certainly have the body for leggings. But I think the outfit might look more complete with a light airy skirt. Just my opinion but usually with leggings I think a longer top looks more in proportion.

Christine Jonson Travel Trio Three