Pattern Reviews> Folkwear> 209

Folkwear: 209 by patternaddict
Pattern Rating:Easy & Great for Beginners
Fabric:Silk Dupioni  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:

Late Victorian era skirt, can be cut full length or 'street length.'

Pattern Sizing:

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Yes, very straightforward though I didn't follow them completely.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Very easy to cut and sew. The whole thing took me about an hour to sew up. It turned out very comfortable and flattering.

Perhaps because I'm rather large in the waist (I had to add a couple of inches to the waistband after cutting the largest available size) the back gathers didn't end up overly "bustled", as some others have complained about. Just nicely gathered.

Fabric Used:

I've made the skirt five times. (The photo is of the most recent, silk version.)

The first version was made in a home-dec weight chintz. (Dark green with a maroon and pink pattern. When I showed the finished skirt off to hubby, his comment was "It looks like a curtain." But *I* think it's pretty. )

Made it again a year later in blue denim with a silver star pattern. (This version also has a matching vest.)

I have since made it three more times.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I made the street length version. I'm on the short side, so even the 'short' version ended up fairly long on me.

Like many others who have made this, rather than fussing with the complicated placket, I just put a zipper in the back. I also added some trim to the hem. As noted above, I had to add a couple of inches to the waistband the first two times I made it. (I then found that the pattern had been re-released with larger sizes available.)
I skipped the handwork, sewing both hem and waistband on the machine. The only handwork was sewing on the hook and eye.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes, I will probably make this again. It's very easy and flattering.

Conclusion:

I love this skirt. I really, really love this skirt. I've made this skirt 5 times. (Once in home-dec cotton. Once in denim. Once in a heavy-ish batik cotton. Once in a mid-weight cotton calico. Once in silk dupioni. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE this skirt!

Debbie Dabbles said...
I was about to write the same thing as sew4grands. lovely.
9/17/14 10:48 PM
sew4grands said...
Your skirt is lovely, the silk dupioni is beautiful
9/16/14 12:57 PM